Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I think the kicker in all of this is where they see Bichette. If they see him as a 2B long term then they could go after someone like Lindor. If Bichette is good enough to play SS then they could go after LeMahieu and LeMahieu/Biggio cover 2B/3B.... I liked LeMahieu but Lindor is the better defender and I want top defenders at every position. For pitching Trevor Bauer and Robbie Ray would be amazing gets. A Bauer, Lindor, Ray type offseason would be just great. A CF would be amazing too but I'm not seeing any real top CF's available and I'm not that keen on Springer. Perhaps they develop Austin Martin to play CF.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think the kicker in all of this is where they see Bichette. If they see him as a 2B long term then they could go after someone like Lindor. If Bichette is good enough to play SS then they could go after LeMahieu and LeMahieu/Biggio cover 2B/3B.... I liked LeMahieu but Lindor is the better defender and I want top defenders at every position. For pitching Trevor Bauer and Robbie Ray would be amazing gets. A Bauer, Lindor, Ray type offseason would be just great. A CF would be amazing too but I'm not seeing any real top CF's available and I'm not that keen on Springer. Perhaps they develop Austin Martin to play CF.

Really they could just go with stop-gaps at 3B and CF with the intention of developing Groshans and Martin to play those positions long term if they wanted. I don't think there's a huge need to go big at those spots right now. Not that I would be opposed to adding there or anything, but if they focused on the rotation and could bring in Bauer and Walker or something like that, they could just do minor tinkering with the rest of the roster and it would be a hugely successful offseason.

Keep in mind guys like Correa, Lindor, Baez, and Bryant are currently slated to hit free agency after 2021. They could go pitching heavy now and wait until next offseason to make their big position-player move and put together a powerhouse team with all their top prospects still in play.

Reactions: weems

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Really they could just go with stop-gaps at 3B and CF with the intention of developing Groshans and Martin to play those positions long term if they wanted. I don't think there's a huge need to go big at those spots right now. Not that I would be opposed to adding there or anything, but if they focused on the rotation and could bring in Bauer and Walker or something like that, they could just do minor tinkering with the rest of the roster and it would be a hugely successful offseason.

Keep in mind guys like Correa, Lindor, Baez, and Bryant are currently slated to hit free agency after 2021. They could go pitching heavy now and wait until next offseason to make their big position-player move and put together a powerhouse team with all their top prospects still in play.

I'm fine with this. Pitching is for sure the priority

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I was under the impression that he was going back to the Yankees as well. If you're the Blue Jays, why wouldn't you take a shot on a 3-4 year deal that bridges you until you have to pay Bichette/Biggio/Guerrero. Since it's Toronto, you're going to have to overpay, but you can justify it if he's going to hit for those numbers he put the last couple years in New York.

His power increased significantly with the Yankees, though one red flag is that he had the third-worst average home run distance in MLB in 2020 at 360 feet.

That concerns me. I’m not sure we’d see that here.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Scenario 1 - Blue Jays sign Realmuto: I still think Pittsburgh is the best fit for one of our young catchers. I would not be against moving one of them in a deal for Bryan Reynolds to play CF or Joe Musgrove to fill a rotation spot. While I am confident going forward with Jansen as the everyday catcher, bringing in Realmuto does give you a very valuable trade asset in Jansen who can be moved to fill a whole elsewhere.

Scenario 2 - Blue Jays sign LeMahieu: I would assume that Biggio would slide to 3rd and LeMahieu would play 2B, where he has predominately played and done so at a high level. I think possible fits for Tellez could be: Milwaukee, Washington, Cleveland, Texas, and possibly Miami to platoon at 1B. There would be more fits if the DH is indeed implemented league wide next season but that looks iffy at best. For Tellez, I doubt there would be a premium coming back for him, so I would probably target younger prospects. But then again, a slugging 1B with cheap team control could be in demand when considering the possible economics of this offseason.

There obviously wouldn't need to be significant shuffling of the cards if Bauer was brought in due to his natural fit. But as for the potential markets of Grichuk and McGuire, I could see Houston having some interest in him to replace one of their departing outfielders. Grichuk is from Texas and the Crawford Boxes could benefit him greatly as a right-handed slugger. McGuires value has probably tanked given his epically terrible performance and the now infamous incident of February 2020, so I am not sure exactly what he could fetch. But, I wouldn't be upset if he was moved for a controllable relief arm or a prospect or two given he will be out of options next year and there are plenty of veteran catchers in FA who could fill his role. It was mentioned on here last week and was something I threw around last offseason, but depending on how the Blue Jays use their money this offseason, I wouldn't be against acquiring Cain from Milwaukee and in exchange for taking his contract, also getting a young player attached to him.
Great response. Jansen and Reese are there more as a one or the other scenario. Agreed on Reese’s value. Like you I’m good with running with Jansen but obviously this upgrade wouldn’t hurt.

Reactions: TF97

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Who's ready for some dumb stuff from Jim Bowden? On The Athletic he's taken a crack at listing the top 25 FAs for this off-season and predicted the "best fits" for each player (which seems to be a mish-mash combo of 'what teams are most realistically going to have mutual interest with the player" and "what teams actually need a player of this type")

Bowden: Predicting the contracts of MLB's top 25 free agents

So here's the full list of players for whom he has the Blue jays as one of the teams to watch in pursuit of those names:

#8) Liam Hendriks, Closer
#10) Masahiro Tanaka, RHP (that's right, for Hendriks he didn't tag him with a handedness as a pitcher, but simply as "closer")
#12) Justin Turner, 3B
#19) Taijuan Walker, RHP
#21) Alex Colome, RHP
#25) Blake Treinen, RHP

That's it.

Somehow he expects the Jays are going to try and throw money at the bullpen when that wasn't exactly a huge concern and they're swimming in young arms to plug into those roles. I'm assuming it's largely a function of him not watching the team and instead choosing to go "the Jays lost Ken Giles, they'd better pony up for an expensive closer type reliever now!" Even though he also admits that neither Colome or Treinen are proper closer material anymore.

Also the only time in any of the writeups where he gives a thought process on a most likely destination the only time he actually foresees the Jays as having a realistic shot at any of these guys is with Walker. The rest of them he focuses on saying how much they would fit with other teams (especially the Angels. If Bowden has his way the Angels are apparently going to just go out and buy all the free agents)

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Bryant could be an interesting target this off season. Cost could be very minimal to grab him.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Who's ready for some dumb stuff from Jim Bowden? On The Athletic he's taken a crack at listing the top 25 FAs for this off-season and predicted the "best fits" for each player (which seems to be a mish-mash combo of 'what teams are most realistically going to have mutual interest with the player" and "what teams actually need a player of this type")

Bowden: Predicting the contracts of MLB's top 25 free agents

So here's the full list of players for whom he has the Blue jays as one of the teams to watch in pursuit of those names:

#8) Liam Hendriks, Closer
#10) Masahiro Tanaka, RHP (that's right, for Hendriks he didn't tag him with a handedness as a pitcher, but simply as "closer")
#12) Justin Turner, 3B
#19) Taijuan Walker, RHP
#21) Alex Colome, RHP
#25) Blake Treinen, RHP

That's it.

Somehow he expects the Jays are going to try and throw money at the bullpen when that wasn't exactly a huge concern and they're swimming in young arms to plug into those roles. I'm assuming it's largely a function of him not watching the team and instead choosing to go "the Jays lost Ken Giles, they'd better pony up for an expensive closer type reliever now!" Even though he also admits that neither Colome or Treinen are proper closer material anymore.

Also the only time in any of the writeups where he gives a thought process on a most likely destination the only time he actually foresees the Jays as having a realistic shot at any of these guys is with Walker. The rest of them he focuses on saying how much they would fit with other teams (especially the Angels. If Bowden has his way the Angels are apparently going to just go out and buy all the free agents)

I would love to see them bring Hendriks back. I loved that guy BEFORE he turned into an elite reliever.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I would love to see them bring Hendriks back. I loved that guy BEFORE he turned into an elite reliever.

I agree, but I'm not keen on spending "closer" money on free agent relievers. For the money they would give one closer you can likely get multiple non-closer, high leverage relief pitchers and just let them Thunderdome it out to see who finishes games off.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
No Gold Glove for Gurriel.

Alex Gordon wins the GG in the AL at the LF position.
The Blue Jays fan in me is upset (but not surprised) that Lourdes didn't win but the baseball fan in me is happy that Gordon gets to retire with one more Gold Glove. He was a fun player to watch in his prime.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Some talk about Indians moving Lindor. I think he'd be the perfect get for our team. MVP caliber player, Cleveland can't pay him. We have the payroll flexibility and the assets to get it done.

If we could, I'd try to expand a deal to include a guy like Zach Plesac, who is just filthy. Shapiro's connection with their front office should mean good communication at least.

What would it cost for 1 year of Lindor (plus negotiating window for extension)?

Closet similar players traded were Betts and Realmuto.

Realmuto (2 years)

for

Jorge Alfaro - 45FV
Sixto Sanchez - 50FV
Will Stewart - 35+FV
$250,000 international bonus slot - 35+FV
----------------------------------------

Betts (1 year)
Price (3 years)
48M

for

Alex Verdugo - 50FV
Jeter Downs - 45+FV
Connor Wong - 40+FV
------------------------------------
Lindor + Extension

for

Gabe Moreno - 45FV
SWR or Orelvis - 50FV
Perez - 35+FV
Taylor - 35+FV

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Bo is good enough to play SS, but Lindor is elite there. Bo would be elite at either 3B or 2B, same with Martin. That's elite defense at 3 of the 5 infield positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium