Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Like how he lashes out at anyone who says anything negative about downtown because he just overpaid to buy a glorified apartment and wants to protect the ol’ property value.

I find a good policy is for any issue that DK takes a side on, go the other way.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
So it is happening. Dubas. FML.

But it does make sense, a team focused on the regular season is hiring a hockey executive who can only be successful in the regular season.

Yay analytics.
Not necessarily. We have no idea if Dubas is even interested in working here. He also said it was Toronto or a break for him

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Maybe Rossi was right when he said FSG thinks extremely highly of Dubas and would want him above anyone else if he became available. :laugh:

I still hope Tulsky is involved somehow, and if Dubas comes onboard, I hope he's A. willing to fire Sully, and B. doesn't immediately bring Keefe over the second Toronto cans him. No interest in Keefe, even as someone who thinks Sully's *years* beyond his expiration.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I wouldn't hate getting Dubas but I'm not sure why FSG wants him so bad. Sure, he fits the mold they're looking for but his time in Toronto isn't exactly inspiring. Although Dubas is the only one who I could see firing Sullivan immediately so it might be worth it just for that

Reactions: Pens x and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Here we go.

Making their “pitch” to him sounds very much like they want to hand the keys to the castle to him, that he’ll have all the power, both Hockey Ops and GM, if he’ll take the job….I hope he rejects it and really wants time off because that sounds awful…just no to Dubas…hope they go with their original plan

I wouldn't hate getting Dubas but I'm not sure why FSG wants him so bad. Sure, he fits the mold they're looking for but his time in Toronto isn't exactly inspiring. Although Dubas is the only one who I could see firing Sullivan immediately so it might be worth it just for that
He won’t fire Sullivan…guarantee…unless it’s to bring in Keefe, and is that better?

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Analytics and process driven that’s why. Agreed or disagreed with his methods and/or results. But that’s the kind of guy they want. Just finished up the 32 Thoughts it was interesting their takes. Another take I heard on the SDPN was and I’m paraphrasing “Someone is going to look at hiring him because they will look at it like Toronto was his training ground. He’s young and smart and we (the Leafs) just trained someone else’s long term general manager by giving him experience and allowing him to make some mistakes to learn from.”

Which is a take that I could wrap my head around. I’m not overly in one camp or the other on if I’d want Dubas here with all the power. But I do know it wouldn’t end in a middle ground it would outright be a great success or a huge failure.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We'll see what happens. I'd prefer a FO combination of Tulsky and Dubas over just about anything else. Two younger, smart people, working together and off of one another? Sure, sounds good.

I'm also not gonna pretend to know how Dubas would be. I think he was pressured into going after Tavares. I don't really put the Leafs' failures at his feet entirely. Even if he's a whatever GM, that's a hell of a lot better than the final few years of JR and Hextall's pretty much entire tenure.

-edit- I will say I trust Dubas to have learned a lot from his time in Toronto. None of us know anything about MacKinnon. Tulsky's an unknown, though the team he's linked to is built extremely well (but boring, though that's more coaching imo). Darche and everybody in Tampa's FO is sketchy to me, because I think Yzerman built the Cup teams, and I gotta dock 'em a ton of points for that f***ing moronic Jeannot deal.

Again, I think a combination of Dubas and Tulsky gives this team two really smart, forward-thinking people at the helm for the end of the era and transition into the next chapter--which the team absolutely *has* to start thinking about now, half a decade into a steady decline. Maybe it takes them a bit to gel and formulate a focused plan moving forward but this team's in a holding pattern until Sid hangs 'em up anyway so whatever.

Last edited:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I'm not sure how the rules, written or otherwise, work but could they even announce Tulsky yet if it were him while his current team is still active? That would also apply for Greeley.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I'm not sure how the rules, written or otherwise, work but could they even announce Tulsky yet if it were him while his current team is still active? That would also apply for Greeley.
Yeah they can. Botts was hired in 2017 while the Pens were still in the playoffs.

If his contract expired and was not renewed, whose permission did they need to get before speaking with him?
Technically his contract didnt expire yet, he was fired. So the Pens would still need to ask the Leafs for permission

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Please, no Dubas, we complain Sully doesnt keep his player accountable, and we want to hire a guy who basically caved with his players every demand? Tracksuits for gamedays and Instagram stardom here we come..

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
We'll see what happens. I'd prefer a FO combination of Tulsky and Dubas over just about anything else. Two younger, smart people, working together and off of one another? Sure, sounds good.

I'm also not gonna pretend to know how Dubas would be. I think he was pressured into going after Tavares. I don't really put the Leafs' failures at his feet entirely. Even if he's a whatever GM, that's a hell of a lot better than the final few years of JR and Hextall's pretty much entire tenure.

-edit- I will say I trust Dubas to have learned a lot from his time in Toronto. None of us know anything about MacKinnon. Tulsky's an unknown, though the team he's linked to is built extremely well (but boring, though that's more coaching imo). Darche and everybody in Tampa's FO is sketchy to me, because I think Yzerman built the Cup teams, and I gotta dock 'em a ton of points for that f***ing moronic Jeannot deal.

Again, I think a combination of Dubas and Tulsky gives this team two really smart, forward-thinking people at the helm for the end of the era and transition into the next chapter--which the team absolutely *has* to start thinking about now, half a decade into a steady decline. Maybe it takes them a bit to gel and formulate a focused plan moving forward but this team's in a holding pattern until Sid hangs 'em up anyway so whatever.
Tulsky isn’t leaving Carolina to be less than a GM. Either you give him the GM job or he isn’t coming… and why would Dubas agree to be an assistant GM or head of hockey operation? He wants a GM job where he gets full power.

A Tulsky/Dubas combo sounds impossible when you look at what both dudes had/have and what they’re looking for.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It's going to be funny when Dubas turns down the Pens and then FSG goes back to their other choice and they turn it down for something else and we end up with the GM equivalent of Mike Johnston as like our 4th option because nobody else wants the job.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Friedman also said he thinks the Pens wont hire a POHO and GM. They're looking to hire one "lead person" and fill out the team from there. They'll use the POHO title if they have to promote someone to GM to get them out of another organization.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad