Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Hiring from TB makes me nervous because I'm not sure how much anybody who wasn't a scout or Steve Yzerman has to do with their success. Yzerman drafted Kucherov, Point, Palat, Vasilevsky, Cirelli and signed undrafted Johnson and Gourde. He traded for McDonagh, Sergachev and Cernak. That's like their whole nucleus of success. I honestly haven't seen much from Tampa after Yzerman that isn't just throwing money at that amazing core and throwing draft picks at teams to build around the fringes.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not gonna sit here and pretend to know how it'll all play out with any name linked to the FO job(s), but I will say I have absolutely zero desire to see Bowman, Chiarelli, or Bergevin with this team in any capacity.

-edit- I'd say of any name, I want Tulsky. I don't like the Canes or how they play, but I think that latter part is more about coaching than anything. They're a strong team despite the lack of anything approaching a star player, imo. That's a well built team. Give me the guy who had a hand in that construction, especially considering he's likely to have some top-5 picks at his disposal here sooner than later. I don't really have any interest in Darche. As others have pointed out, Tampa's era was built by Yzerman and they haven't done anything spectacular construction-wise since his departure. No thanks on the guy who was part of the FO who traded an entire draft for a plug. :laugh:

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm not gonna sit here and pretend to know how it'll all play out with any name linked to the FO job(s), but I will say I have absolutely zero desire to see Bowman, Chiarelli, or Bergevin with this team in any capacity.

-edit- I'd say of any name, I want Tulsky. I don't like the Canes or how they play, but I think that latter part is more about coaching than anything. They're a strong team despite the lack of anything approaching a star player, imo. That's a well built team. Give me the guy who had a hand in that construction, especially considering he's likely to have some top-5 picks at his disposal here sooner than later. I don't really have any interest in Darche. As others have pointed out, Tampa's era was built by Yzerman and they haven't done anything spectacular construction-wise since his departure. No thanks on the guy who was part of the FO who traded an entire draft for a plug. :laugh:

Yeah if Tulsky can make a Carolina like team here I'm good with him. I'd also like a Pens team that's tall, fast, physical and good defensivly instead of all out offense.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

I just want a guy who has a clear plan and vision and makes moves that fit that vision. Yes, Tampa completely overpaid for Jeannot, but at least they get guys who align with their vision. Give me the guy who does that over the guy who trades for Mikael freaking Granlund any day of the week.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I just want a guy who has a clear plan and vision and makes moves that fit that vision. Yes, Tampa completely overpaid for Jeannot, but at least they get guys who align with their vision. Give me the guy who does that over the guy who trades for Mikael freaking Granlund any day of the week.
Hopefully that means Sully gets fired, he doesn't care what a GM wants.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well to be fair, Hextall did have a vision…. It was a vision of an old, small and not very dynamic hockey team that wouldn’t win a lot of games, but it was a vision nonetheless lol

• Haha
Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Pretty sure they reached out as soon as news was announced that he wouldn't be back.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
What's so great about Dubas??? media seem to say he would get a job if he was wanting this job. What has he even done??? let's go for other guys that need to shine like the Canes guy. That team has some nice talent on them for sure and they care about the D also playing D on top of the forwards playing D.
Anyone who got that money to Tavares a perennial loser should not be a GM in NHL

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm skeptical that FSG would want to hire Dubas with the power Dubas seems to want. It seems like they're focusing on having both a president of hockey operations along with a GM, but it seems like Dubas wants to be both of those.

I'm fine with either Chayka as POHO and Tulsky as GM or Dubas as both POHO and GM. Both of those are built with young analytic minds and I think that is the absolute most important thing to get in the new management.

Also I'm going to mistakenly call Tulsky "Tlusty" because Jiri Tlusty was an old player for the Hurricanes that I remember.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I'm skeptical that FSG would want to hire Dubas with the power Dubas seems to want. It seems like they're focusing on having both a president of hockey operations along with a GM, but it seems like Dubas wants to be both of those.

I'm fine with either Chayka as POHO and Tulsky as GM or Dubas as both POHO and GM. Both of those are built with young analytic minds and I think that is the absolute most important thing to get in the new management.

Also I'm going to mistakenly call Tulsky "Tlusty" because Jiri Tlusty was an old player for the Hurricanes that I remember.
Not only was he an old Hurricane, but he was a guy that a lot of Penguins fans always wanted lol

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

Friedman said today that he was told to be careful about assuming any set structure. I believe FSG also historically gives a decent amount of power to their managers in Boston and Liverpool. But I could be mistaken.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If FSG wanted to fast-track Dubas to the pile of 2nd interviewees, I've gotta imagine it's because they think extremely highly of him. I don't know that it's more than just casting that wide net that has been so talked about lately though.

Dubas + Tulsky would be cool.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Dubas clearly misread his circumstance, misread Shanahan, misread Maple Leafs ownership, and overplayed his hand, somehow turning an extension offer of more than market value — five years and probably close to $4 million a season — into no offer at all when he shot for the moon with his counter-offer and in doing so, basically shot himself.

I have been present for a lot of firing press conferences over the years but nothing quite like this one before. Usually, a grim-faced owner or president says a few words, thanks the fired boss for his contributions, and then moves on to questions.

That’s the way it usually goes.

But there was nothing quite normal about the Leafs today and we wait now to see what tomorrow might bring.

And there was nothing quite normal about Shanahan going into extensive detail — minute details really — in explaining why Dubas was fired, how Dubas was fired and the doubt about him that began to seep in on Monday afternoon after the GM’s post-season availability.

That was the beginning of the end for Dubas as GM of the Leafs. In somewhat surprising form, Dubas went public with his personal doubts about staying as a GM in the NHL, talking about the toll it has taken on his life and the life of his family. The Leafs and Shanahan had some idea about whatever had been bothering Dubas and his family but clearly Shanahan — and possibly Leafs ownership — didn’t appreciate the public way in which Dubas chose to express his feelings and also began to worry about the 24/7 nature job and the toll it has taken on him.

They would have liked to have heard all that for themselves, behind closed doors. They didn’t want anyone’s laundry, personal or professional, being hung out to dry for the public to chew on. Monday’s availability rattled the cages inside Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and certainly got to Shanahan in various ways.

This was hard on his family,” Shanahan said of the life of a public figure, especially a figure as public as the Leafs GM. “Quite frankly, it’s hard on all of our families.”

After Dubas went public about his personal challenges, Shanahan admitted there was a “dramatic shift in my thinking. In the next few days, I didn’t get any more clarity.”

When they met on Wednesday, two days after Dubas went public and two days before the firing, “I had more questions than answers,” said Shanahan.

On Thursday, Shanahan got a call from Dubas’ agent, an agent better known for golf than hockey. There was a new financial package from the Dubas side, a mistaken counter-offer of sorts. “The conversation was brief,” said Shanahan. He knew what he was suddenly thinking. After wanting to give Dubas an extension last summer and being told no by Leafs owners, Shanahan made another offer to keep him.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

Dubas clearly misread his circumstance, misread Shanahan, misread Maple Leafs ownership, and overplayed his hand, somehow turning an extension offer of more than market value — five years and probably close to $4 million a season — into no offer at all when he shot for the moon with his counter-offer and in doing so, basically shot himself.

I have been present for a lot of firing press conferences over the years but nothing quite like this one before. Usually, a grim-faced owner or president says a few words, thanks the fired boss for his contributions, and then moves on to questions.

That’s the way it usually goes.

But there was nothing quite normal about the Leafs today and we wait now to see what tomorrow might bring.

And there was nothing quite normal about Shanahan going into extensive detail — minute details really — in explaining why Dubas was fired, how Dubas was fired and the doubt about him that began to seep in on Monday afternoon after the GM’s post-season availability.

That was the beginning of the end for Dubas as GM of the Leafs. In somewhat surprising form, Dubas went public with his personal doubts about staying as a GM in the NHL, talking about the toll it has taken on his life and the life of his family. The Leafs and Shanahan had some idea about whatever had been bothering Dubas and his family but clearly Shanahan — and possibly Leafs ownership — didn’t appreciate the public way in which Dubas chose to express his feelings and also began to worry about the 24/7 nature job and the toll it has taken on him.

They would have liked to have heard all that for themselves, behind closed doors. They didn’t want anyone’s laundry, personal or professional, being hung out to dry for the public to chew on. Monday’s availability rattled the cages inside Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and certainly got to Shanahan in various ways.

This was hard on his family,” Shanahan said of the life of a public figure, especially a figure as public as the Leafs GM. “Quite frankly, it’s hard on all of our families.”

After Dubas went public about his personal challenges, Shanahan admitted there was a “dramatic shift in my thinking. In the next few days, I didn’t get any more clarity.”

When they met on Wednesday, two days after Dubas went public and two days before the firing, “I had more questions than answers,” said Shanahan.

On Thursday, Shanahan got a call from Dubas’ agent, an agent better known for golf than hockey. There was a new financial package from the Dubas side, a mistaken counter-offer of sorts. “The conversation was brief,” said Shanahan. He knew what he was suddenly thinking. After wanting to give Dubas an extension last summer and being told no by Leafs owners, Shanahan made another offer to keep him.
Bruh this is still Phil Kessel territory nobody wants to hear from Simmons.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If FSG wanted to fast-track Dubas to the pile of 2nd interviewees, I've gotta imagine it's because they think extremely highly of him. I don't know that it's more than just casting that wide net that has been so talked about lately though.

Dubas + Tulsky would be cool.
With how much winning surrounds FSG you gotta think they somewhat know what they are doing and who to hire.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
With how much winning surrounds FSG you gotta think they somewhat know what they are doing and who to hire.
They may be able to identify the right character traits for General Managers, but I very much doubt in their ability to understand the actual hockey side of it. They are new to the sport, by their own admission. They are relying on the rest of their staff for that. It can't be compared to their understanding of baseball for example, a sport they grew up with.
Fortunately it seems to be working out. They are crossing off the right names.

Besides, in the MLB and Premiere League you can swing results a lot more with money. In hockey the salary cap forces you to manage very shrewdly to win.
At least when it comes to hiring a GM there's no cap, so they can flex that way. Gives us an edge in getting the most desirable candidates.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The best argument to bring Dubas is that he'd be the most likely to fire Sullivan and the assistants. Nothing would change the culture with this team more than that.
I suspect Keefe and the Leafs assistants may be fired soon, so he could bring those here. He's tight with Keefe from Soo Greyhound days.

Say what you will about Keefe, but I'd take year 1 of him here over year 9 of Sullivan all day. After the way Sullivan deployed his players this past year, I've lost all faith in him. Dude's on a heavy regression curve here. He needs a new group, or a year off to re-ignite his passion for the job.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad