Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Brooks is a garbage writer and interviewer but he's got a good track record with reports. The man's connected.
But if what you're talking about is not what he's hearing and just what his opinion is, then yes it's worthless.

Seems like the latter, considering we don't have a GM yet. You'd think those kind of decisions would be made by him.
Larry Brooks is a Hack & knows nothing

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
People really overrate the value of a mid-1st rounder. The draft's deep, sure, but you're not getting one of the 5 best players in his respective position with the 14th as a centerpiece imo.

But, GMs are stupid, so who knows? I don't think for a second it's possible but it wouldn't hurt to call and throw your hat in the ring.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
People really overrate the value of a mid-1st rounder. The draft's deep, sure, but you're not getting one of the 5 best players in his respective position with the 14th as a centerpiece imo.

But, GMs are stupid, so who knows? I don't think for a second it's possible but it wouldn't hurt to call and throw your hat in the ring.
Not to mention, there’s already reports of ticket sales issues for the Jets 2.0. I don’t think the front office, ownership, or apparently city will put upwith a full on rebuild.

If they move Hellebucyk, for better or worse, I think they will want NHL ready talent as the core piece over picks and young prospects.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Not to mention, there’s already reports of ticket sales issues for the Jets 2.0. I don’t think the front office, ownership, or apparently city will put upwith a full on rebuild.

If they move Hellebucyk, for better or worse, I think they will want NHL ready talent as the core piece over picks and young prospects.
So you're saying they probably aren't gonna be keen on Pickering, the team's best prospect who has always been a project and likely won't be ready for NHL duty until like 2027? :laugh:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Larry Brooks is a Hack & knows nothing
We get his Twitter reports. We know what his accuracy is with news-breaking. It's more accurate than many, as it should be, since he knows a lot of people by virtue of his job over all these years.
The question is not what he knows. The question is what his friends and contacts know and relay to him, which he in turn shares with the public.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
The team has been HORRIBLE at drafting in the 1st round. I'd say top 5 worst in the league.
Since Staal:
Esposito, Despres, Bennett, Poulliot, Matta, Kapanen, Poulin, Pickering

I am not interested in hearing about excuses, these players are all failures at the highest level.
Esposito retied 7 years ago after a few stints in Italy and Chechia
Despres is plying his trade in Austria
Bennet retired 3 years ago after playing in the AHL
Poulliot is in the AHL
Matta is still in the NHL...for now
Kapanen is the journeyman who flatters to decieve
Poulin is already a bust. He was crap in the AHL way before his personal problems
Pickering is still young but hasn't shown much

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The team has been HORRIBLE at drafting in the 1st round. I'd say top 5 worst in the league.
Since Staal:
Esposito, Despres, Bennett, Poulliot, Matta, Kapanen, Poulin, Pickering

I am not interested in hearing about excuses, these players are all failures at the highest level.
Esposito retied 7 years ago after a few stints in Italy and Chechia
Despres is plying his trade in Austria
Bennet retired 3 years ago after playing in the AHL
Poulliot is in the AHL
Matta is still in the NHL...for now
Kapanen is the journeyman who flatters to decieve
Poulin is already a bust. He was crap in the AHL way before his personal problems
Pickering is still young but hasn't shown much

I'd say Maatta and Kapanen are good value for 22nd overall picks. Despres would have been too but concussions came for him. Pouliot, Esposito and Bennett were all terrible, not looking promising for Poulin but hopefully he can turn things around. Pickering it is way too early to say.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
They have all their important picks for the next 3 years, that 14th OA, Smith, Blomqvist, Pickering.
I mean, what's the expected price for 1 year of Hellebuyck? How do they not have enough?

Attachments

• AEF12275-FAEA-4DCA-B9DA-9BA20131FEA9.jpeg
    AEF12275-FAEA-4DCA-B9DA-9BA20131FEA9.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
They are delusional in terms of what the foundation is here relative to the rest of the league. They think Crosby has a chance at more Cups here.
FSG has a representative who lives in Pittsburgh, Dave Beeston. He watches the games, interacts with the front office on a daily basis, and reports back to his superiors regarding the situation here.
He is 1.5 years into learning about the sport and the NHL. No prior experience.

As such, he doesn't understand that they're toast, from a Cup perspective. He has a sort of a child-like optimism for these next few years. Reality will sink in more for him when they miss/get eliminated next year. He just needs more time.
Traumatized_Mr._Incredible.jpg

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They should, within reason.
"Bidding war" and "within reason" don't usually go together.

The only way I'm interested in Helly is if it comes with an extension. Seeing that he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild in Winnipeg, I don't see why he'd be willing to sign an extension with the Pens who just missed the playoffs, have an aging core, and will be entering a rebuild very soon. So I'm not giving up a 1st++ for him just to be stuck in the same situation next year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
32 thoughts just released. Sounds like FSG really likes Chayka. Friedman also gave a list of names that he thinks will be moving onto the second round and he didn’t list Bergevin or Chia.

then I saw this 32 thoughts lol…hes going to get another contract extension, isn’t he? lol

“19. Fenway Sports Group (FSG) have been working closely with Penguins head coach Mike Sullivan during the Pittsburgh Penguins transition between former GM Ron Hextall and whoever they hire to fill their current vacancy.

Relative to the AHL club, I'm told FSG will mandate to their new GM that this AHL Penguins club needs to be highly competitive -- on the persistent advice from Sullivan, specifically, in making sure the organization's top prospects are developing in a winning environment.

20. It might come as a surprise that Sullivan is so adamant about building/investing more in constructing an AHL roster as he has taken flack for barely giving the AHL Penguins' call ups - and young players like Jonathan Gruden - much of an opportunity in terms of ice time.

But Sullivan, along with assistant coach Mike Vellucci understand the importance of building from within and winning at the AHL level as well as anyone. That should be music to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins fans' ears.

"This is a [Sullivan] thing more than whoever the new [GM] is... and right now [Sullivan] has the hammer with the Fenway guys," One NHL source told InsideAHLHockey.com a few weeks ago.”

Last edited:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
then I saw this 32 thoughts lol…hes going to get another contract extension lol

“19. Fenway Sports Group (FSG) have been working closely with Penguins head coach Mike Sullivan during the Pittsburgh Penguins transition between former GM Ron Hextall and whoever they hire to fill their current vacancy.

Relative to the AHL club, I'm told FSG will mandate to their new GM that this AHL Penguins club needs to be highly competitive -- on the persistent advice from Sullivan, specifically, in making sure the organization's top prospects are developing in a winning environment.

20. It might come as a surprise that Sullivan is so adamant about building/investing more in constructing an AHL roster as he has taken flack for barely giving the AHL Penguins' call ups - and young players like Jonathan Gruden - much of an opportunity in terms of ice time.

But Sullivan, along with assistant coach Mike Vellucci understand the importance of building from within and winning at the AHL level as well as anyone. That should be music to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins fans' ears.

"This is a [Sullivan] thing more than whoever the new [GM] is... and right now [Sullivan] has the hammer with the Fenway guys," One NHL source told InsideAHLHockey.com a few weeks ago.”
Can't believe MS is taking part in the hiring of his future boss!!! Only in Pittsburgh lol

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
32 thoughts just released. Sounds like FSG really likes Chayka. Friedman also gave a list of names that he thinks will be moving onto the second round and he didn’t list Bergevin or Chia.
Some more info from Friedman:

-Darche, Mackinon, Tulsky and one of Greely/Karmanos have moved onto the second round
-He thinks that FSG has talked to Sam Ventura and Cam Lawrence
-Unsure where Boterill stands. He has rejected inteviews for teams before so Friedman has no idea if he talked to FSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad