Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
If sully was ever to be fired, he would be leaving his coaching gig for a “promotion as X within the organization”. He will never actually be fired fyi.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It is kind of wild that you miss the playoffs once in 16 years and you're ready to burn it all down

Pens are in a weird spot. Hextall re-signed your cornerstone oldheads, which of course left the team fairly hamstrung, but nostalgia continued.

Unless the owners wanted to let Malkin/Sid go, that's a tough one to get around. Probably for the best he and Burkey were canned.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
so firing sullivan imo, doesn't make sense right now.
give him competent goal tending.
better complimentary pieces for the 3 and if results aren't there then fire him, that seems to make the most sense to me.

while sullivan might have some blame in all this, the supportting cast got worse by a lot, our goal tending already was iffy and it got worse as well. I also argue our defense is older, slower and worse then it was as well.

Pretty much every move that Hextall made (or lack thereof in the case of goal tending) to make the team "better" for this season was actually code for "much worse"

Hextall isn’t the reason the Penguins give up 3rd period leads, come out flat for 75% of the games, and lose to the hawks in a must win.

Every time this team loses, it's always someone else's fault outside of Sullivan to a large part of the fanbase. This team has changed almost everything outside of the core around Sullivan, yet nothing changes with the results.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Hextall did an absolutely horrible job, so glad he's gone. But Sullivan...man he really is the face of the franchise now. Convinced ownership thinks fans pay to watch him in his suit behind the bench.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
It is kind of wild that you miss the playoffs once in 16 years and you're ready to burn it all down

Pens are in a weird spot. Hextall re-signed your cornerstone oldheads, which of course left the team fairly hamstrung, but nostalgia continued.

Unless the owners wanted to let Malkin/Sid go, that's a tough one to get around. Probably for the best he and Burkey were canned.
I wouldn't say re-signing Malkin and Letang left the team hamstrung. The core wasn't the problem. The team had no absolutely no goaltending and a non nhl caliber bottom-6. Not to mention an incompetent coach.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Hextall isn’t the reason the Penguins give up 3rd period leads, come out flat for 75% of the games, and lose to the hawks in a must win.

Every time this team loses, it's always someone else's fault outside of Sullivan to a large part of the fanbase. This team has changed almost everything outside of the core around Sullivan, yet nothing changes with the results.
that's why you stay on the good side of the press. there are too many sheep that believe them.

Reactions: Gurglesons

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Youth movement? Who do you bring in? You do not have any really good prospects ready to make the jump.

You put "meh" guys in hoping to hit a HR like we did with Rust?

How did we win in 16? How did we win in 17? Rust, Guentzel, Sheary, Kuhn, etc. It is what it is. Young guys have to be a part of the movement. Period.

Poehling/DOC are guys i'd consider. Let them grow or die by the youth. I want youth.

Also i want a full different perspective. Trap/attack. f*** Sully.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Youth movement? Who do you bring in? You do not have any really good prospects ready to make the jump.

You put "meh" guys in hoping to hit a HR like we did with Rust?
You bring in promising or struggling young players with potential through savvy draft or deadline deals. We clearly haven't prioritized youth because none of our youth gets a chance to play and we've rotted the development system away.

You can blame the GMs in part for that, but Sullivan's reluctance to play youth since the B2B sure isn't helping.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm surprised it took this long.

Thank you FSG. I'd rather roll the dice with a new devil than stick with the Devil we know.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Thing is, they should not have missed. Incompetence led to us missing the playoffs. The roster was so badly constructed that we ended up losing.

Re-signing Carter, acquiring Granlund, never figuring out how to use Kapanen, acquiring Bonino and Kulikov (who never played, but they were dumb adds).

We had space after getting out of a few contracts... and we used it on f***ing Granlund.

The problem was never re-signing Geno, Letang and even Rust (even though he has underperformed this year)... it is everything else that management team has done.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

it's rad when people who don't watch the team have opinions on it.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
If Sullivan stays, hopefully there are changes to the assistant coaches. There needs to be some new voices in the room. I wouldn’t doubt that he would have full say in selecting a new staff though, so who knows how much better it would be.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Like I said, there is some weird, fascinating obsession in Pittsburgh with keeping coaches forever. What used to be the 'City of Champions' is now the City of Mediocrity. There is not one single logical explanation anyone can give as to why Sullivan shouldn't be fired. His teams are unprepared, his system sucks, his love of soft vanilla players is mind boggling, his special teams are a joke, etc, etc.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Those 3 have reasonable contracts for what they do.

The rest of the construction, outside of Raks, was bad. I wish he could have found more magic with another steal like he did there….but we got Granlund at full price.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
How did we win in 16? How did we win in 17? Rust, Guentzel, Sheary, Kuhn, etc. It is what it is. Young guys have to be a part of the movement. Period.

Poehling/DOC are guys i'd consider. Let them grow or die by the youth. I want youth.

Also i want a full different perspective. Trap/attack. f*** Sully.
These guys, at best, are 3rd liners. At the VERY VERY best. Most likely they are fourth liners.

Rust, Guentzel and Sheary all ended up being key top 6 players during those runs.

Now, you want to recreate the same effect when the core is noticibly older and our prospects much crappier. Should we have continued incorporating youth and developping much better? Hell yeah! But we did not, so we will need to rebuild.

At this point, we won't contend during the Sid era, that much is a given. Fair enough, try and make the playoffs, but do not sacrifice future assets. Start building the foundation and hope for a gem or two.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You bring in promising or struggling young players with potential through savvy draft or deadline deals. We clearly haven't prioritized youth because none of our youth gets a chance to play and we've rotted the development system away.

You can blame the GMs in part for that, but Sullivan's reluctance to play youth since the B2B sure isn't helping.
You could, but it is a gamble. You could hit gold and, at this point, better try that than signing Jeff Carters.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Sullivan stays, hopefully there are changes to the assistant coaches. There needs to be some new voices in the room. I wouldn’t doubt that he would have full say in selecting a new staff though, so who knows how much better it would be.

Oh boy, changing the assistant coaches for like the 4th time in the last 6 years. It's definitely going to work after the first 3 times it didn't work!

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Thing is, they should not have missed. Incompetence led to us missing the playoffs. The roster was so badly constructed that we ended up losing.
This roster might be flawed but it shouldn't have a negative goal differential or end up behind a Predators team whose fifth best scorer is freaking Granlund. The team simply has no mental resilience whatsoever despite being full of vets many of whom have won multiple Cups. No GM can change that unless he changes the coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad