Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Has nothing to do with Sullivan and everything to do with a guy who covered up sexual assault, enabling further instances of assault to occur.

Bowman should be blackballed from professional hockey.

Now we're just making stuff up. Sullivan ran circles around Gallant last year. The Penguins were severely outplayed by the Rangers in the regular season - remember Shesterkin's wave goodbye? - and then dominated play for most of the series.

If DeSmith never gets hurt and they don't lose Sid for a game and a half, the Penguins win in six.
If the concession staff got fresh brócoli and chili peppers we would have been fine

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Do u guys know Sully is a sought after commodity?

BroadwayStorm

Registered User​

Aug 2, 20054,1701,424New York City
Gallant is a shitty coach. He is a dinosaur. Too much of a players coach. And this team right now needs some structure. It's too wild, there is no plan. Everyone freelances and turns the puck over, especially Panarin. There is no system for the kids to develop in. I hate it. I want Mike Sullivan or someone with an offensive background but more of a system. We need to put more pucks on net too. Or give an up and coming guy a shot. Not some college coach but a good young assistant with experience who knows modern hockey. Maybe something like that will get more out of the players.
If you are going to say f*** it to any defence, why not just bring in Bruce Boudreau
Consolation prize was Sergei Plotnikov. Which I'll cop to being pretty excited about at the time. Silly me. Homie just won his 2nd Gagarin Cup over in the KHL this year.
there was nothing wrong with plotnikov, it was all sulllivan for not giving him a chance

Reactions: shaler79

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I see the Milwaukee Bucks, who only 2 years ago won the NBA championship, fired their head coach after getting eliminated in the first-round despite being the #1 seed in the East. I figured they would at least give him five years of not winning a single playoff round to can him....

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I see the Milwaukee Bucks, who only 2 years ago won the NBA championship, fired their head coach after getting eliminated in the first-round despite being the #1 seed in the East. I figured they would at least give him five years of not winning a single playoff round to can him....

It really makes no sense, hopefully with the new GM hired he can have the luxury of replacing MS. f*** him, like Sutter with Calagry and his 2 years left, just fire him and deal with it.

Reactions: Rave7215 and Andy99

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
NBA coaches are also way less impactful due to the nature of the game.

Reactions: Josey Wales

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
NBA coaches are also way less impactful due to the nature of the game.
I don’t think NHL coaches have as much as impact as people believe. It’s not the NFL where there’s a ton of scheming and scripted plays.

I feel like NHL coaches set lineup’s, pick from probably less than a handful of systems that work in todays game, and motivate the players.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Both require subscriptions, and the stories are from two of this board's favorite reporters, but both Rossi and Kovacevic had updates on the GM search in the last 24 hours.

DK - Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, Pirates News, Live Coverage | DK Pittsburgh Sports

Rossi - Penguins keeping tight lid on GM search

Both say that the search is well underway. Interviews are taking place. DK says a search firm has been engaged, which is pretty common for a hands-off or new ownership group. Rossi speculates that FSG could be tapping Sullivan's network of contacts in the league just to canvas for interviews, but that Sullivan will not be involved in the final say of who is hired.

Both mention that whoever is named GM will be expected to head a robust analytics operation.

And they both say that FSG is keeping an extremely tight lid on the search. Neither offers hard confirmation of names involved, but DK notes that the Pens have candidates in mind still involved in the playoffs, and speculates that could include Kyle Dubas, Eric Tulsky, Jason Botterill, and Steve Greeley. He said nothing prevents anyone from being interviewed but it's easier to pull aside an assistant GM during the playoffs than someone running the show like Dubas.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Both require subscriptions, and the stories are from two of this board's favorite reporters, but both Rossi and Kovacevic had updates on the GM search in the last 24 hours.

DK - Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, Pirates News, Live Coverage | DK Pittsburgh Sports

Both say that the search is well underway. Interviews are taking place. DK says a search firm has been engaged, which is pretty common for a hands-off or new ownership group. Rossi speculates that FSG could be tapping Sullivan's network of contacts in the league just to canvas for interviews, but that Sullivan will not be involved in the final say of who is hired.

Both mention that whoever is named GM will be expected to head a robust analytics operation.

And they both say that FSG is keeping an extremely tight lid on the search. Neither offers hard confirmation of names involved, but DK notes that the Pens have candidates in mind still involved in the playoffs, and speculates that could include Kyle Dubas, Eric Tulsky, Jason Botterill, and Steve Greeley. He said nothing prevents anyone from being interviewed but it's easier to pull aside an assistant GM during the playoffs than someone running the show like Dubas.
SOOOOOO we are supposed to pay to know what we all know?? hahahaha

Reactions: Pens x

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Imagine having FSG buy the Penguins a few years ago. Would've been very helpful.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I don’t think NHL coaches have as much as impact as people believe. It’s not the NFL where there’s a ton of scheming and scripted plays.

I feel like NHL coaches set lineup’s, pick from probably less than a handful of systems that work in todays game, and motivate the players.
They have less impact than NFL but way, way more than NBA.

Reactions: eXile3

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Imagine having FSG buy the Penguins a few years ago. Would've been very helpful.
Ultimately they will be evaluated on their final decision, but people are getting a taste of how a modern pro sports franchise is run. There are always going to be owners in every sport who have deeper pockets and can just throw money at any problem. There are always going to be owners in every sport who rely on their good ol' boys network to hire people.

Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle were part of the latter group. Mario had hockey connections. Burkle had political and business connections. They constantly tapped those networks to hire people on the business side and in hockey ops. Craig Patrick was well-established with the Penguins when Mario/Burkle took over. Ray Shero was a hockey lifer whose dad was in the game forever. Jim Rutherford was one of the most experienced GMs in hockey when he was hired. And Brian Burke/Ron Hextall were well-known commodities.

If you have a deep network, relying on those connections can work well. But if you're not growing and expanding your network, or if you're essentially ready to check out (like Mario and Burkle were), the network can fail you. That's what happened. The Penguins reportedly interviewed a number of younger GM candidates, including Chris Drury and Chris MacFarland, before hiring Hextall/Burke. They went with the old guard. It failed.

For all its faults, FSG has a reputation for consistently looking to evolve. It's why it prioritizes analytics in all of its sports. It leads to some unpopular decisions on the field, and while they spend money, they're not going to just throw money around. It's not sexy. There often aren't many leaks until late in the process, if at all. But it usually works out.

The proof will be in the final hire and the results, but I have more faith in this process than in previous ones.

Who's Zooming Who?
Zoom sessions for interviews are common in every industry at this point, especially white collar ones. It allows for the hiring organization to progress through the interviews faster rather than trying to arrange in-person meeting sessions for a dozen candidates.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Ultimately they will be evaluated on their final decision, but people are getting a taste of how a modern pro sports franchise is run. There are always going to be owners in every sport who have deeper pockets and can just throw money at any problem. There are always going to be owners in every sport who rely on their good ol' boys network to hire people.

Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle were part of the latter group. Mario had hockey connections. Burkle had political and business connections. They constantly tapped those networks to hire people on the business side and in hockey ops. Craig Patrick was well-established with the Penguins when Mario/Burkle took over. Ray Shero was a hockey lifer whose dad was in the game forever. Jim Rutherford was one of the most experienced GMs in hockey when he was hired. And Brian Burke/Ron Hextall were well-known commodities.

If you have a deep network, relying on those connections can work well. But if you're not growing and expanding your network, or if you're essentially ready to check out (like Mario and Burkle were), the network can fail you. That's what happened. The Penguins reportedly interviewed a number of younger GM candidates, including Chris Drury and Chris MacFarland, before hiring Hextall/Burke. They went with the old guard. It failed.

For all its faults, FSG has a reputation for consistently looking to evolve. It's why it prioritizes analytics in all of its sports. It leads to some unpopular decisions on the field, and while they spend money, they're not going to just throw money around. It's not sexy. There often aren't many leaks until late in the process, if at all. But it usually works out.

The proof will be in the final hire and the results, but I have more faith in this process than in previous ones.

Zoom sessions for interviews are common in every industry at this point, especially white collar ones. It allows for the hiring organization to progress through the interviews faster rather than trying to arrange in-person meeting sessions for a dozen candidates.
I know , There was a song named that long time ago in a far away land

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad