Sportsnet: "It's something that can potentially happen in the future " Milan Lucic on playing for Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It's laughable that people think 1 extra year of Lucic for the same cap hit would be worth an asset like Puljujarvi or a 2nd.

As others have mentioned, he would need to waive his NMC to go to Vancouver which means he doesn't need to be protected. That's a non-factor. Eriksson is not significantly better than Lucic that the Oilers would add something for that part of it. It's only the extra year that's an issue. Lucic and a 4th would be fair.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its pretty weird to hear comments like this from a player on a current team. I think Lucic has wanted out since last year. He just hasnt fit with the Oilers and honestly I dont see the situation improving. Hes a fourth line player at the moment making at least 3-4 million too much. Hopefully the Oilers can get rid of him but I cant really see it personally. Hes so bad.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's laughable that people think 1 extra year of Lucic for the same cap hit would be worth an asset like Puljujarvi or a 2nd.

As others have mentioned, he would need to waive his NMC to go to Vancouver which means he doesn't need to be protected. That's a non-factor. Eriksson is not significantly better than Lucic that the Oilers would add something for that part of it. It's only the extra year that's an issue. Lucic and a 4th would be fair.

As I explained on page 1 this is not inherently true at all.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Who cares that he's 30, he skates like he's 50.

I dont think its his skating thats the primary issue. He can actually move when he wants to. Its his hands and his decision making. His hands are so bad, and he makes so many poor decisions.

I also just think hes lost his passion and aggression. If he could ever get that back, he might be NHL player once again.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Lol show 1 example in history where an extra year of 6M for a lesser player is worth a 4th round pick. Even guys that you know you can ltir for the year cost more than a 4th round pick to shed. Horrible take

Reactions: Superlative Soup

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Take out Sutter add Eriksson and then you may have a deal

Benning tax would be straight up lucic for eriksson because knowing him, he still puts value on lucic

Well the OP mentioned a 2nd as the incentive to move from Loui to Lucic, so why would we add Bear if we aren't getting Sutter instead of Lucic?

How about Lucic, Matt Benning and a 2nd for Eriksson and any other Canucks roster player other than Spooner or Schenn?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Theres no such thing as an "equally worse" contract to Lucics

Especially if you were the Oilers owner and are dealing with real money

24 million Lucic vs 18 million. Eriksson

Almost half of that 18 million is actually paid for already so really Katz would be looking at
24 million vs 10million

So you were saying something about " equally worse " ??
Seabrook has a worse contract imo.

I agree that Eriksson has more value (less negative value is probably more accurate) but some of the takes here are pretty bad. We’re not trading Lucic+1st+3rd for Eriksson. I think it would take a 2nd max, especially since Lucic would actually fit somewhat of a role in Vancouver.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
HAHAHAHAHA

Good luck convincing Aqualini or any owner apart from the leafs that a 2nd rounder is worth $6,000,000
Its not. After July 1 the difference is 3 mil in total salary between the 2. Lucic contract was front loaded so he is owed 4 mil per year after July 1

Reactions: TFHockey

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Its not. After July 1 the difference is 3 mil in total salary between the 2. Lucic contract was front loaded so he is owed 4 mil per year after July 1

Did you take a look at Eriksson's contract to see if it was similarly structured? Because it is. In total salary he's owed 5 million in 2019/20, and 4 million in each of 2020/21 and 2021/22, for a total of 13 million. Lucic is contrastingly owed 6 million in 2019/20, 4 million 2020/21, 5 million in 2021/22, and 4 million in 2022/23, for a total of 19 million.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I would rather ride out another season on Lucic than give up Bear and a 2nd to move him.

Lucic still hits a ton and will still fight which makes him worth about the same as a much less physical but slightly better scorer in Ericksson. I would move those 2 assets if the the return was Sutter. We buy him out and be done with this issue.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
We've been saying this for a while now.. Lucic can be moved. Lucic would waive for Vancouver. We suspect he'd also waive for Seattle. There is something brewing.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I thought he had it in Vancouver after he got arrested on Granville Street and when his church got graffitied after the cup win.

"I can't find a reason to defend that city anymore."

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Where is the benefit for Vancouver if we're getting a 2nd or Puuljujarvi or Bear as the main pieces back if we're taking Lucic?

Those pieces aren't that attractive.

Losing Eriksson is a giant meh for me too. His buy out is worth just over a half million dollars per year over 6 years according to capfriendly if we wait for July 15th. He is owed 8 million in signing bonuses this year (I think it's all this year) and has 5 million in remaining salary across three years.

Sutter I don't care about.
Schaller is 1.9 for one more year.
Beagle isn't terrible for his cap hit (compared to anyone else listed).
Spooner only has a year as well.

We're not hard up to return a bad contract either.

Just because he didn't immediately shoot down the idea of coming to Vancouver doesn't mean we care to take on 4 years at 6 million per for a pylon. I understand Oilers faithful not wanting to surrender a first to dump ballast so I won't ask for that. What else is there aside from the pieces previously listed?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I dont think its his skating thats the primary issue. He can actually move when he wants to. Its his hands and his decision making. His hands are so bad, and he makes so many poor decisions.

I also just think hes lost his passion and aggression. If he could ever get that back, he might be NHL player once again.

He showed flashes of being an NHL player over the past two years. It appears that he may be suffering with a bad motivator.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
They both have produced the same. Their contracts are about the same. Eriksson is older than Lucic. Definitely Equally Worse.

Do you understand the definition of equal??
like do you?

Here aquilini you have 2 choices.

Choice 1: pay $13 million over 3 years for trash
Choice 2: pay $19 million over 4 years for trash

Billionaires don't become billionaires by not understanding Time value of money.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Please no.

I do understand Oilers fans not wanting to add much to do a Lucic/ Eriksson swap.

But I'm not going to be happy if Benning does something like Lucic + 2nd for Eriksson. Big picture, a 2nd rounder has something like a 25% chance of playing any kind of role in the NHL.

I'd rather buy Loui out or ride out his contract than acquire Lucic and a likely "meh" addition. You don't get out of a **** situation by trading it for one that lasts a year longer.

It's probably going to happen though. Oh well.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Do you understand the definition of equal??
like do you?

Here aquilini you have 2 choices.

Choice 1: pay $13 million over 3 years for trash
Choice 2: pay $19 million over 4 years for trash

Billionaires don't become billionaires by not understanding Time value of money.

Do you understand the point that no one cares?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Please no.

I do understand Oilers fans not wanting to add much to do a Lucic/ Eriksson swap.

But I'm not going to be happy if Benning does something like Lucic + 2nd for Eriksson. Big picture, a 2nd rounder has something like a 25% chance of playing any kind of role in the NHL.

I'd rather buy Loui out or ride out his contract than acquire Lucic and a likely "meh" addition. You don't get out of a **** situation by trading it for one that lasts a year longer.

It's probably going to happen though. Oh well.

Really the 2nd rounder is the most valuable asset in the deal. As in, the only asset with actual value.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad