Post-Game Talk: ITS OVER- Did we make a huge mistake on Pierre-Luc Dubois Thread?

“Would you rather that the Habs trade for Dubois or instead wait and try to sign him when he becomes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One time I was starving so I went to Harvery's and got some food, then walked several blocks back home and sat down to eat my meal to find out there was only a bun with a piece of lettuce....

Even that burger was meatier than Dave's tweet.
Man you must have been very very preoccupied. Anytime I've ever ordered at Harvey's I had to tell them what I wanted on the burger. :sarcasm:

Reactions: McGees

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
To be fair, our best prospects are still young and haven't made an impact, if they will at all. The pieces the LAKs may be sending are more established and can help Winnipeg a lot sooner.

Really, the only pieces the Jets may want from us is Dach+

I'm sure some here would do that trade, but I don't think this would put us over the tipping point. The whole point is to add to what we have. Removing Dach and adding PLD isn't a monumental upgrade; especially since we aren't in a position to contend for the playoffs until maybe 2025.
I wouldn’t move Dach+ for PLD. If that was the line, okay so be it.

Like you say, there isn’t a huge pressure to upgrade our top6 because we aren’t competing.

But it’s a shame we had NO alternative to offer in place of Dach. Nothing.

Bewildering lack of valueable assets. See how much valuable draft capital Hughes gave up for Newhook? Seems like none of our prospects are worth anything.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I wouldn’t move Dach+ for PLD. If that was the line, okay so be it.

Like you say, there isn’t a huge pressure to upgrade our top6 because we aren’t competing.

But it’s a shame we had NO alternative to offer in place of Dach. Nothing.

Bewildering lack of valueable assets. See how much valuable draft capital Hughes gave up for Newhook? Seems like none of our prospects are worth anything.

They are just too young.

Newhook DVO Primeau lets go

Primeau is not worth a bag of pucks at this point.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The Kings are sending ultimately irrelevant pieces for a roster upgrade. Dubois is an upgrade over Vilardi, the other two pieces are replaceable.

That’s how competitive teams do it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. The Kings surely aren’t mad about paying a pittance to acquire Kevin Fiala.

Poverty teams hem and haw and ultimately decide the prices are too high and for the amount they can spare good player, well they’re just not available.

Two years of tanking and selling and we don’t have enough assets to acquire a coveted top6 player. Heck of a phenomena.

Hughes and Gorton weren’t left with many NHL ready players that Winnipeg was looking for without trading away key core pieces (like Dach). It’s going to take awhile for the prospects that they’ve acquired in the past couple of years to turn into key NHL players.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
They are just too young.

Primeau is not worth a bag of pucks at this point.
Change him for any of our touchable prospect and I still do this trade... Newhook is dime a dozen in our lineup, very underwhelming trade considering we are choking on the 6f4 guy.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Hughes and Gorton weren’t left with many NHL ready players that Winnipeg was looking for without trading away key core pieces (like Dach). It’s going to take awhile for the prospects that they’ve acquired in the past couple of years to turn into key NHL players.
They turned Lehkonen to Justin Barron and Toffoli to I don’t even remember, I think it was Filip Mesar.

What do you think?

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
TSN radio says another Habs trade is 'imminent' - just said it on air. Is there ANY way Newhook is part of a PLD package?
I'M praying right now. Kid doesn't change ANYTHING to our lineup, already have tons of tiny fowards ready to step up soon... Farell Mesar Ylonen Kidney Roy name em... god dammit

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
TSN radio says another Habs trade is 'imminent' - just said it on air. Is there ANY way Newhook is part of a PLD package?
Why would they tweet out acquiring Newhook if they had that as part of the bigger three way for PLD? Newhook is a Hab. He won't be part of a bigger deal.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
Who said it?
It's Melnick's show, they're on now

Why would they tweet out acquiring Newhook if they had that as part of the bigger three way for PLD? Newhook is a Hab. He won't be part of a bigger deal.
It just doesn't logically make sense to acquire another 5'10'' scoring forward. Someone else must be moving. Or he's part of another package.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
It's Melnick's show, they're on now

It just doesn't logically make sense to acquire another 5'10'' scoring forward. Someone else must be moving. Or he's part of another package.
I agree someone else is moving. But why would the Habs tweet the Newhook trade only to turn around and pull the trigger on another one 30 minutes later.

I agree we have too many forwards now. Someone has to go. Dvorak is my bet.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I agree someone else is moving. But why would the Habs tweet the Newhook trade only to turn around and pull the trigger on another one 30 minutes later.

I agree we have too many forwards now. Someone has to go. Dvorak is my bet.
I find it interesting the release states “rights to Alex Newhook” vs acquired Alex Newhook. I get it theoretically needs a new contract.

Last draft Dach was in same contractual situation and Habs stated they acquired Dach not rights to Dach

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
They turned Lehkonen to Justin Barron and Toffoli to I don’t even remember, I think it was Filip Mesar.

What do you think?

We’ll see, although I don’t think the Toffoli trade is looking that great as of now (although he is a UFA at the end of this next season and probably a player Winnipeg wouldn’t have wanted).

Also, those trades were made a year ago, were they supposed to hang onto those players in the hopes they could trade them For PLD. They made moves that they thought were the best for the future of the franchise at the time. Not all will work out but they’ve clearly got a plan for this franchise unlike the previous management group.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It was a bad trade, but mostly because Bergy didn't dig into Drouin's character and capacity to deal with the pressure, especially when he had a few red flags in Tampa and refusing to report to AHL teams etc...
LOL!!

Bergy did not "dig in" to something EVERYONE knew because it was plastered all over the newspapers. omg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad