Blue Jays Discussion: It's here! it's here! it's here! it's here! Baseball season begins!(WARNING:post 728)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
no way warm weather teams would willingly take all the home games in cold weather months and let the cold weather teams have all the midsummer gates.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The main variable with Price is, would he have given us a better chance to win the division compared to the status quo? I'm not so sure he would have.

That being said, would he have given us a better chance to advance in the playoffs compared to the status quo? I'm not so sure about that either.

Given his age, his contract terms, his history, and our budget, I would prefer the status quo.

it's a simple equation.

All we need to do is compare the WAR of Price +Hendriks to Happ+Estrada+Chavez.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
The main variable with Price is, would he have given us a better chance to win the division compared to the status quo? I'm not so sure he would have.

That being said, would he have given us a better chance to advance in the playoffs compared to the status quo? I'm not so sure about that either.

Given his age, his contract terms, his history, and our budget, I would prefer the status quo.

totally.

i mean he's great in the regular season, but he's more of an edge in duel matchups, whereas the status quo and our offense can do the same job elsewhere

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
it's a simple equation.

All we need to do is compare the WAR of Price +Hendriks to Happ+Estrada+Chavez.

You should also consider the difference in financial commitments between the two options, but what's $160 million between friends, right?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
You should also consider the difference in financial commitments between the two options, but what's $160 million between friends, right?

Considering the original post stated nothing about financial commitments outside of a throwaway line that had nothing to do with the argument I don't think that's fair.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Considering the original post stated nothing about financial commitments outside of a throwaway line that had nothing to do with the argument I don't think that's fair.

I don't see that as a throwaway line... I read it as the entire thesis of the argument he was responding to.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

And if financial commitments aren't being considered, then I would answer: yes. Having Price/Hendriks instead of Happ/Estrada/Chavez probably makes this team better... if no one gets hurt. But that's a hell of a gamble to take.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Any line up changes tonight except for Thole - just wondering if Smoak is going to split some 1B duties or Cola is now a every day 1B

I'm thinking smoak gets the nod tonight. Cola' bat hasn't been there. I know two games. Just gives Gibby a reason to plug him in

I'll add that I do t think it'll be long before Saunders moves up and smoak/cola move down the spot

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm thinking smoak gets the nod tonight. Cola' bat hasn't been there. I know two games. Just gives Gibby a reason to plug him in

I'll add that I do t think it'll be long before Saunders moves up and smoak/cola move down the spot

That, and the fact that Smoak had a great ST.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
JD going to have another MPV season. EE and Jose are going to make it VERY difficult to re-sign both. They'll have great years as per usual and we will be stuck picking between the two.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
well Joey is a DH going forward and so is EE so one should only be picked to begin with. But I think we should move on from both, way too expensive for age + what they will bring over their contract.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

we're gonna spend that $30m on something every year, hopefully.

we'll see how often it's better than price.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

I would like to see Saunders in a lead off role - at least he should be given a chance

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
And if financial commitments aren't being considered, then I would answer: yes. Having Price/Hendriks instead of Happ/Estrada/Chavez probably makes this team better... if no one gets hurt. But that's a hell of a gamble to take.

Expecting Price to stay healthy when he has done so his entire career seems like a minimal risk (and is why I was in favour of giving him the contract in the first place).

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Why are we still arguing about Price? He was never staying, get over it already. The team is better off with the depth. Although having Price would be great, that is a huge contract and it meant that we would be putting warm bodies out there rather than the likes of Dickey, Estrada, Happ, etc.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
When people stop saying the team is the exact same/better without Price I'll stop saying they're wrong.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Why are we still arguing about Price? He was never staying, get over it already. The team is better off with the depth. Although having Price would be great, that is a huge contract and it meant that we would be putting warm bodies out there rather than the likes of Dickey, Estrada, Happ, etc.

Price
Stroman
Dickey
Chavez
Floyd

Stroman
Estrada
Dickey
Happ
Sanchez

I'd take option 2 as of right now.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
cant say i agree with depth > price. Price is a top 10 at worst pitcher. That >>>> a middle reliever and Happ plus like a utility infielder.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Expecting Price to stay healthy when he has done so his entire career seems like a minimal risk (and is why I was in favour of giving him the contract in the first place).

I'm not specifically saying if Price gets hurt. I'm saying if anyone gets hurt.

But yeah, anything any of us could possibly have to say on either side of this discussion has been said plenty of times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad