Blue Jays Discussion: It's here! it's here! it's here! it's here! Baseball season begins!(WARNING:post 728)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Even though I'm a much bigger hockey fan than I am a baseball fan, I've never been as excited to watch a team play as I am with these Jays.

The Leafs have never been this fun to watch, even in the Sundin years.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Minor League rosters are out. The 4 full season teams that is.

AAA Buffalo: http://www.milb.com/roster/index.jsp?sid=t422
AA Hew Hampshire: http://www.milb.com/roster/index.jsp?sid=t463
A+ Dunedin: http://www.milb.com/roster/index.jsp?sid=t424
A Lansing: http://www.milb.com/roster/index.jsp?sid=t499

Notables on each team, if they're still a prospect then their mlb.com Jays prospect ranking listed in brackets. SP = starting pitcher, LP = lefty reliever, RP = righty reliever, S = switch reliver(Venditte).

Buffalo: SP Hutchison, LP Girado(16), S Venditte, RP Tepera, RP McFarland, IF/OF Burns(26), 1B/DH Montero, OF Pompey, OF Ceciliani
New Hampshire: SP Dawson, RP Dragmire(17), RP Stilson, 1B Tellez(8), OF Fields(14), LF Smith(28)
Dunedin: SP Greene(2), SP Robson(22), SP Cardona, C Jansen(20), SS Urena(6), 3B Nay(21), 1B McBroom(27), OF Alford(1), OF DJ Davis(9), OF JD Davis
Lansing: SP Reid-Foley(3), SP Harris(4), SP Perdomo(23), LP Bergen(30), 3B Wise(25), OF Thomas(29)

Noteables: Hollon on Lansing restricted list because he's serving 50 game drug suspension from last year. Pentecost on Lansing DL which is very very concerning. Urena, and Robson not listed but a sportsnet article says they're starting in Dunedin. AJ Jiminez not listed anywhere, not sure where he's going.

also noteable Lane Thomas back listed as an outfielder after playing 2B all last year.

Our entire mlb.com top 30 prospect list

1: Anthony Alford, OF, drafted 2012, Dunedin
2: Connor Greene, SP, drafted in 2013, Dunedin
3: Sean Reid-Foley, SP, drafted in 2014, Lansing
4: Jon Harris, SP, drafted in 2015, Lansing
5: Vlad Guererro, 3B, signed in 2015, extended spring training
6: Richard Urena, SS, signed in 2012, Dunedin
7: Max Pentecost, C, drafted in 2014, DL
8: Rowdy Tellez, 1B, drafted in 2013, New Hampshire
9: DJ Davis, OF, drafted in 2012, Dunedin
10: Justin Maese, SP, drafted in 2015, extended spring training
11: Clinton Hollon, SP, drafted in 2013, suspended
12: Ryan Borucki, SP, drafted in 2012, extended spring training
13: Reggie Pruitt, OF, drafted in 2015, extended spring training
14: Roemon Fields, OF, signed in 2013, New Hampshire
15: Jose Espada, SP, drafted in 2015, extended spring training
16: Chad Girado, LP, drafted 2013, Buffalo
17: Brady Dragmire, RP, drafted in 2011, New Hampshire
18: Hansel Rodriguiz, SP, signed in 2014, extended spring training
19: Yennsy Diaz, SP, signed in 2014, extended spring training
20: Dan Jansen, C, drafted in 2013, Dunedin
21: Mitch Nay, 3B, drafted in 2012, Dunedin
22: Tom Robson, SP, drafted in 2011, Dunedin
23: Angel Perdomo, SP, signed in 2011, Lansing
24: Guadalupe Chavez, SP, signed in 2014, extended spring training
25: Carl Wise, 3B, drafted in 2015, Lansing
26: Andy Burns, IF/OF, drafted in 2011, Buffalo
27: Ryan McBroom, 1B, drafted in 2014, Dunedin
28: Dwight Smith, LF, drafted in 2011, New Hampshire
29: Lane Thomas, OF, drafted in 2014, Lansing
30: Travis Bergen, LP, drafted in 2015, Lansing

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I bet if Saunders gets off to a good start, he will be hitting leadoff.

I could see that as well. If he gets off to a good start and pillar faulters a little this could happen quickly. We don't need speed at lead off. We just need him to get on base at a good clip

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Thanks for the ML cheat sheet C4G.

Are they attempting to transition Vlad Jr to the hot corner? Must have missed that. Will be tough considering he's not athletically gifted.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I actually like the Bisons roster. Lots of fringe major leaguers with a few mlb quality guys on there. They should win a bunch of games. Also helps having a good framer and defense to develop the pitching.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thanks for the ML cheat sheet C4G.

Are they attempting to transition Vlad Jr to the hot corner? Must have missed that. Will be tough considering he's not athletically gifted.

yeah they apparently asked him which position he liked playing best and he said 3rd so they let him take some ground balls and whatnot there just to see and apparently he was quite good. He might end up moving back to left field but for now they're going to try him there and see how it goes.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
demoting all the top prospects back down to a level they've already dominated reeks of shapiro trying to prove his cleverness again, imo.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
"that they've dominated"

They were there for what? 2 months, most of them? Prospects usually spend more than 2 months at each level. Guys like Greene, Urena, Alford, and SRF if they play well for the first 2 months they will likely get promoted then.

and Tellez did get promoted up to NH. So there goes that theory conspiracy.

I wouldn't have minded them being a little aggressive with them, but it's not going to hurt, having another couple months at those levels. Look at Pompey, he rushed through the system, 2 months at 3 different levels and now for the 2nd year after that he's still not here full time. I'm not saying it would have been more beneficial for him to stop at NH in 2014, then starting last year in NH and then being promoted to Buffalo mid-season, and have that slower progression, but spending 2 months and them being promoted at every step didn't get him here full time any sooner either.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
@Nem. Agreed that Pentecost on the DL is a big problem. I'm thinking he's nearing the end of his baseball career before it's even started. It's really too bad because he looked to be a potential gem. Sucks more because of draft position. I'm 100% sure he was the prospect that killed the Jay Bruce deal which is a good thing.

I will add that Dunedin is going to have crazy speed in the outfield

I'll add thanks for that breakdown

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I wonder if the Jays will show interest in Cuban 2nd baseman Fernandez? Considered an on base machine and is 27 so exempt from the signing pool. Has played regular ball in a couple years so he'd need time in the minors which is fine. Could be a nice addition especially if Travis struggles

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
demoting all the top prospects back down to a level they've already dominated reeks of shapiro trying to prove his cleverness again, imo.

It's not the slightest bit surprising that you feel this way.

Just so you know, you're allowed to disagree with decisions without jumping to wild, unfounded conclusions.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
1: Anthony Alford - I think he should be at AA. We'll count this one.
2: Connor Greene - Wasn't good at AA, only 40 IP at A+. Makes sense.
3: Sean Reid-Foley - Walked 6+/9IP at A and A+. Makes sense.
4: Jon Harris - Moving up a level. N/A.
5: Vlad Guererro - N/A.
6: Richard Urena - Was bad at A+. Makes sense.
7: Max Pentecost - N/A.
8: Rowdy Tellez - Moving up a level. N/A.
9: DJ Davis - Moving up a level. N/A.
10: Justin Maese - N/A.

So one out of the Jays' top ten prospects is getting the treatment you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad