Blue Jays Discussion: It's here! it's here! it's here! it's here! Baseball season begins!(WARNING:post 728)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTY

Nov 10, 2002
Toronto
On ex jays - I'm calling a big breakout for Lawrie this year. I was thinking Gose too but he's batted about .100 this spring :laugh:

Andrew Miller saying he's going to play through the pain and tough it out now, we'll see

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Jose is almost certainly a Yankee IMO

They've made a real effort to get under the threshold, and would likely look to remain there until Bryce Harper gets to free agency.

Don't think Bautista or EE will have them to aid in inflating demand.

Can also eliminate the Cubs, as they don't need them....even if you operated under the assumption the DH is coming to the NL.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
MLB preview roundtable: Blue Jays’ pitching deeper than expected

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/mlb-preview-roundtable-blue-jays-pitching-deeper-expected/

The Blue Jays should score plenty of runs, but is their pitching good enough?

Shi Davidi

At this point it looks like it is. Between Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez they’ve added enough potential upside to cushion the loss of David Price, but they’ll need J.A. Happ and Marco Estrada to cover for Mark Buehrle’s steadiness.

Jeff Blair

I don’t know if it’s good enough … but it should be deep enough. I’m a J.A. Happ skeptic, to be honest, and there are obviously going to be innings concerns with Aaron Sanchez and Marcus Stroman. But the depth of the bullpen ought to make up for that. I’m expecting a lights-out season from Brett Cecil in a walk year.

Ben Nicholson-Smith

As unlikely as it seemed a couple of months ago, the Blue Jays actually seem reasonably deep in the starting rotation. The group’s light on upside, and the bullpen lacks a second legitimate lefty, but the pitching doesn’t have to dominate. League-average production will be more than enough for a team that should still have baseball’s top offence.

Arden Zwelling

Probably. I think there’s a lot of wisdom in Josh Donaldson’s ‘our pitchers don’t have to be great, they just have to be average’ theory. If the five Blue Jays in the opening day rotation all pitch to their career average ERA’s (all below 4.00 with the exception of JA Happ’s 4.13) I think the Blue Jays will win more often than not, considering they scored five-and-a-half runs per game in 2015 and arguably have a better all-around offence this year. What’s also encouraging is that the next wave of replacements, who will inevitably have to make starts at some point this season, is stronger than it was in 2015. I’ll take Gavin Floyd, Jesse Chavez and Drew Hutchison over Felix Doubront, Scott Copeland and Todd Redmond any day.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
On ex jays - I'm calling a big breakout for Lawrie this year. I was thinking Gose too but he's batted about .100 this spring :laugh:

Andrew Miller saying he's going to play through the pain and tough it out now, we'll see

So... pitch through it and hope you don't have to catch a comebacker or anything? That should be interesting to watch.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/seasonpreview_bluejays/no-6-toronto-blue-jays

ESPN previews the Jays (who they rank 6th in their pre-season power rankings. Behind Houston, the Mets, San Francisco, Kansas City, and the Cubs. Strangely they also project the Jays to finish 2nd in the AL East behind the Red Sox, in spite of sitting 2 places higher on the rankings. And that the Jays will be tied with the Yankees for 2nd, though the Yankees are like 13th in this ranking)

I guess ESPN just has to make sure they give Boston or New York some helium so that it keeps their clicks up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yep.

(though the projected record part is just straight up zips).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
red sox are starting a 1B who couldn't hit in AAA at 3B, and a backup infielder in LF. and have 3 other positions they're not sure they have an mlb caliber starter at.

the projections for that team are wild.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/seasonpreview_bluejays/no-6-toronto-blue-jays

ESPN previews the Jays (who they rank 6th in their pre-season power rankings. Behind Houston, the Mets, San Francisco, Kansas City, and the Cubs. Strangely they also project the Jays to finish 2nd in the AL East behind the Red Sox, in spite of sitting 2 places higher on the rankings. And that the Jays will be tied with the Yankees for 2nd, though the Yankees are like 13th in this ranking)

I guess ESPN just has to make sure they give Boston or New York some helium so that it keeps their clicks up.

I wonder which starting pitching WAR projection they chose to use :laugh:, and if they realize that projecting Marcus Stroman for ~100 IP is not realistic (unless Red Sox fans, Yankee fans, and Gregg Zaun's wishes really do have tangible effects on reality).

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
red sox are starting a 1B who couldn't hit in AAA at 3B, and a backup infielder in LF. and have 3 other positions they're not sure they have an mlb caliber starter at.

But they're the Red Sox....

1. Mookie Betts (RF)
2. Xander Boegarts (SS)

3. Profit?

Rotation works the same....

Price

stuff?

Bullpen!

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Also, the Royals continue to get the "Projections were wrong about them last year, so they must be wrong about them again!" treatment that one or two teams seem to get every year.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Blue Jays have some interest in Miguel Gonzalez... can't say I'm surprised

He makes a bit of sense as a cheap depth piece, but I can't see him displacing anyone on the current roster. Other teams will probably be able to give him a better opportunity.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011

and a 27 mil bench :laugh:

I don't see the Sox doing any better than 2nd in the AL East, if that.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
and a 27 mil bench :laugh:

I don't see the Sox doing any better than 2nd in the AL East, if that.

But but but but David Price!

He's going to hit 40 hrs for them and win the gold glove at 3rd, 1st, lf, and dh as well as get the rolaids relief award and singlehandedly win them 130 games while finishing with a record of 40-0!

The domination will be so much that Brian Cashman has a massive heart attack in late June and the Yankees fold, selling off all their assets to the diamondbacks, at which point Dave Stewart trades them all to San Diego for James shields, Matt Kemp, $30,000,050.75, a half-eaten order from in-and-out burger and a signed declaration from Billy beane that he believes the game of baseball is played by literal anthropomorphic numbers on a field mowed to resemble an excel spreadsheet.

:sarcasm:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'm not an ananalytics guy, but using common sense I think it's the Jays to lose if they don't take their foot of the gas.

• Improved pitching despite the loss of Price. Debatable, but lots of depth and optimistic Stroman and Sanchez will do well.
    • Essentially the exact same lineup minus Dinner
    • Really great defense, best defence in the AL East
    • super star MVP and Bautista
    • Tulo and Goins up the middle
    • depth everywhere
    • best offence in the league
    • Winning mentality heading into Spring

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not an ananalytics guy, but using common sense I think it's the Jays to lose if they don't take their foot of the gas.

• Improved pitching despite the loss of Price. Debatable, but lots of depth and optimistic Stroman and Sanchez will do well.
    • Essentially the exact same lineup minus Dinner
    • Really great defense, best defence in the AL East
    • super star MVP and Bautista
    • Tulo and Goins up the middle
    • depth everywhere
    • best offence in the league
    • Winning mentality heading into Spring

Almost every team in the East has question marks (like always) and our biggest fear is no ace. But you also forgot to mention the bullpen which could be quite good. Storen/Cecil/Osuna could be a lethal trio.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Almost every team in the East has question marks (like always) and our biggest fear is no ace. But you also forgot to mention the bullpen which could be quite good. Storen/Cecil/Osuna could be a lethal trio.

The "no ace" thing is grossly overrated because:

a) Lots of teams show you don't definitively need one to win. Like Kansas City, for example.

b) it's an assertion that precludes the idea that Stroman just might be that ace.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Picked up MLB 16 and played my first game.

Crushed the Phillies 11-0. So that seems about right in terms of realism. :laugh:

I ended up mashing HRs with (in order) Donaldson, Edwin, Tulo, Bautista, Pillar, and (I swear to god) Goins.

Stroman went 7 innings, gave up 5 hits and had 7 Ks with no walks.

The only oddity in the game was that I completely whiffed on an easy pop fly with Saunders and then instead of picking the ball up, I tried moving the stick to reposition and he just ran circles around the downed ball and never touched it. Other than that it seems like I just have some small adjustments to get used to this year's game vs the last time I played in 14.

though honestly I'll likely just start a RTTS game soon. I always have a lot more fun pitching in these games than hitting. I'm waaaay too aggressive at the plate. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad