Blue Jays Discussion: It's here! it's here! it's here! it's here! Baseball season begins!(WARNING:post 728)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
How much longer can Bautista play RF? And does he move into the DH role after or can he play 1st?

Important consideration if the Jays are looking at re-signing both

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd be shocked if they signed either, dumbfounded if they signed both. But if they did I'd assume it would with both sharing the 1b/dh roles.

and I agree with discoverer - with panda and hanley getting paid, and shaw and travis as their two closest hitting prospects, and generally needing pitching over hitting, i'm not so sure the sox will be eager bidders.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
I'd bet my cats, but not the kids, that Bautista signs. His sliding scale from "out to lunch" to "actually reasonable and feasible". He wants to stay with team where he achieved baseball greatness. Almist a shame the BHOF has very high standards in this specific case.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I'd bet my cats, but not the kids, that Bautista signs. His sliding scale from "out to lunch" to "actually reasonable and feasible". He wants to stay with team where he achieved baseball greatness. Almist a shame the BHOF has very high standards in this specific case.

It is certainly one of the hardest halls to make. Really contrasting with the hockey hall of fame.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I don't think he makes the hall. He broke out too late. All of his 20s he was a nobody. I doubt he accumulates enough numbers to get in.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'd be shocked if they signed either, dumbfounded if they signed both. But if they did I'd assume it would with both sharing the 1b/dh roles.

and I agree with discoverer - with panda and hanley getting paid, and shaw and travis as their two closest hitting prospects, and generally needing pitching over hitting, i'm not so sure the sox will be eager bidders.

I really, really, REALLY want one of them to stay, but, as much as my heart is telling my brain to shut the hell up, I can't help thinking that signing both of them would be a terrible decision.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't think he makes the hall. He broke out too late. All of his 20s he was a nobody. I doubt he accumulates enough numbers to get in.

Yeah, it's too bad, too, since his peak has been so amazing. But, realistically, he would have to have five or six more years like the one he just had to even become a borderline candidate.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
What GM could be tricked into taking those contracts?

Tony+La+Russa+2nd+Annual+Leaders+Legends+Gala+bzirvWBLB-kl.jpg

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What GM could be tricked into taking those contracts?

I worded it wrong, but I think they're more than capable of moving one of those contracts (while eating salary and chipping in an asset) next offseason. Sandoval will have 3/59.8 (includes 5m buyout on 4th year) and Ramirez will have 2/45.5 after this season. If a team knows they won't contend, has space to take on salary, and is looking to gather young assets for their rebuild, then it'd be a shrewd investment on their part.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I worded it wrong, but I think they're more than capable of moving one of those contracts (while eating salary and chipping in an asset) next offseason. Sandoval will have 3/59.8 (includes 5m buyout on 4th year) and Ramirez will have 2/45.5 after this season. If a team knows they won't contend, has space to take on salary, and is looking to gather young assets for their rebuild, then it'd be a shrewd investment on their part.

Yeah I think there is a chance that Hanley could be moved(Shorter contract, and slightly less suck) Pablo to me seems almost unmovable, but crazy things have happened in baseball.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
He's stupid all right but he just gave away a top prospect for 10 million dollars last year so I can't imagine he'd be into the business of buying them for nothing but taking on bad contracts.

I imagine it more as him seeing "something" in the player that makes him want to acquire him, contract/performance/projection be damned. Doubtful, but if any GM were to do it, it would be him.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The hockey hall is a joke, it's the hall of pretty good. Now they are letting in every guy who stuck around 20 years and accumulated big #s (compared to earlier players who had half the longevity because of contemporary training standards being not so good), even if these guys never won any awards, never, never even got on 2nd all star teams.

Good to see baseball doing a better job maintaining higher standards even if it means loveable borderline cases like Joey get cut out.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Best trade ever.
Go Josh!

Blue Jays’ MVP Josh Donaldson aims for encore
http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2016/03/31/blue-jays-mvp-josh-donaldson-aims-for-encore.html

No single player had as much impact on the Jays’ success last season than Donaldson, who was rewarded for his efforts with the franchise’s first MVP award since George Bell won the honour in 1987.
Looking back, the numbers are still startling: 41 homers, 123 RBI, 122 runs scored. Only two other players in the last decade have matched those totals: Albert Pujols and Alex Rodriguez.
In terms of advanced stats, his 8.7 Wins Above Replacement are the most ever by a Blue Jays’ position player, eclipsing the previous high-water marks of Jose Bautista’s 2011 season and John Olerud’s 1993.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad