Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Gets me giddy. Says a lot about the guys commitment coming into a situation where he’s away from family and isolated with absolutely zero chance to play. He’s making another family now!

Great.

Now if we can only get someone to work with MDC.

Maybe Lt. Dan can get him a new pair of legs?

tenor.gif

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
So, Golyshev started the season with 4 goals (out of 7 shots on goal) in 3 games.

Thanks for checking in with an update Caser, we appreciate it!

I was just thinking about Golyshev yesterday and the potential impact he could have on the Isles when he comes over. Specifically if he can help on a reasonable contract in a flat-cap world.

I assume the Isles would want Golyshev to start in the AHL, get him used to playing in Trotz's system first and then take a look at him if he adjusts and plays well.

Just curious, have you seen or heard of any noticeable changes in Golyshev game? Has he gotten physically stronger, improved his skating, hit more, etc.?

It sounds like Golyshev definitely wants to try to make it to the NHL, but if he is going to succeed, he will need to be defensively responsible and won't have as much space offensively.

Any specific thoughts?

Reactions: Caser

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Are Aho/Wotherspoon remotely ready if we ultimately do decide to trade Toews? I'm sort of shocked that Wotherspoon has not seen a single call up yet at some stage with all the injuries the last 2-3 years on D

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
As Chapin wrote, December is the target date but I've seen different days mentioned.
The beginning of December is indeed the target date, but according to what I heard on the radio here in Montreal, I can't remember which journalist or insider, he seems more to believe that it will not be before January. And maybe even the end of January. Much like the shortened season of 2012-13 with a schedule of around 50 games.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Are Aho/Wotherspoon remotely ready if we ultimately do decide to trade Toews? I'm sort of shocked that Wotherspoon has not seen a single call up yet at some stage with all the injuries the last 2-3 years on D

I don't think Aho will ever make it in this system. Hutton is the next in line for me.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don't think Aho will ever make it in this system. Hutton is the next in line for me.

Small guys seem to be doing well these days in the league. I did not even know Hutton was projected as NHL caliber.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I've seen Wotherspoon a handful oftimes at Bridgeport and have not been impressed. Others here have seen him more and can weigh in.

I think there's about 5 or so other D prospects in the system with more upside.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Small guys seem to be doing well these days in the league. I did not even know Hutton was projected as NHL caliber.

It's not just a size issue for me, I don't mind smaller players if they can perform. The issue is that I think the other young players are better than he is. Hutton, from what I remember, was mobile and defensively sound for a big guy. Dobson is already ahead of Aho, and then there's Wilde in the mix too. I don't remember Wotherspoon's game so I don't want to comment on him. When and where is Aho getting the opportunity?

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Neither one is NHL material. Aho is too small for the show and Wotherspoon hsan't shown me that while healthy he isn't a liability in his own end. He handles the puck like a live grenade.

Mitch Vande Sompel, when he was healthy which was rare, surpassed Wotherspoon, imo. He was a better skater and good on the power play. Had a sneaky good wrist shot too. I'd like to bring MVS back to Bridgeport to see if he can stay healthy and whether he lost anything off his game due to the injuries.

Right now, the next defenseman up from Bridgeport should be Grant Hutton.

Reactions: The Real JT

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Hated this pick at the time. Luckily Snow flipped this terrible pick for Barzal and Beauvillier.
I liked it, but him regressing every season offensively concerned me. I also watched that memorial cup and that put me back on his side because I thought he was dominant out there defensively.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I can't believe I just spent 20 minutes watching a video about Griffin Reinhart. What have I become?

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Thanks for checking in with an update Caser, we appreciate it!

I was just thinking about Golyshev yesterday and the potential impact he could have on the Isles when he comes over. Specifically if he can help on a reasonable contract in a flat-cap world.

I assume the Isles would want Golyshev to start in the AHL, get him used to playing in Trotz's system first and then take a look at him if he adjusts and plays well.

Just curious, have you seen or heard of any noticeable changes in Golyshev game? Has he gotten physically stronger, improved his skating, hit more, etc.?

It sounds like Golyshev definitely wants to try to make it to the NHL, but if he is going to succeed, he will need to be defensively responsible and won't have as much space offensively.

Any specific thoughts?

If talking about the AHL, I think it doesn't make any sense for both the Isles and Golyshev. I mean, if he comes over in March then to just burn that only year of his ELC contract in the AHL would be strange for Lou and for Golyshev it wouldn't make any sense as that won't help him earn a decent NHL deal for the next year.

About changes, he is already 25, will be 26 in March, not sure if you can expect huge changes in his game at that point. He isn't weak for his size: 187 lbs for 5'8" height is a decent amount of muscles, can't expect him to be a hitting machine though. For skating, I think he is a more dynamic skater than, for example, Gusev, so not sure it's an issue. As for the defensive game, he has played quite some time on the PK last year, doesn't look like the D is something that he wouldn't be able to handle.

Reactions: danteipp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad