Rumor: Islanders working on a Boychuk trade

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Isn't Parise still a useful player? The other 2 are not. I know Zach has a few more years on that contract but that seems really bad for Minnesota.
He is still a 25 goal scorer, but he is a middle-6 guy now. Guerin has been changing up the locker room to get fresh blood. I can see Pateryn also being included (although there would have to be a medical waiver because he is currently injured).

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Boychuck is a very effective player. He may not have the speed of his youth, but when you need someone to take a bullet for his team, he will. He's a solid top 4 IF you play him no more than 14 min a game. Unfortunately, he's overpaid by about 4-5 minutes per game.

We're only wanting to trade him because of his contract...if he were on something like 2.5m, I don't believe he'd be in the conversation as a salary dump or considered to be AHL buried. Basically, he's not hot garbage.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Please dont be the Flyers

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Wait... Johnny boychuk makes how much????

I can't believe it. That's brutal

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
JB is a great guy in the locker room and his leadership quality will be greatly missed if Isles end up trading him. Besides the coach you need leaders (more than one) to gel the team so they can perform as a team. Isles have a few of these guys but some of them may not come back this year and the following (Martin ufa this year and Cizicas after this season).

The main reason why they need to move him is that Isles is loaded with RHD D (roster and prospect) with the need for clearing cap space so they can keep the younger assets like Pulock and Toews. JB has always been one of the most reliable RHD PK Ds on the Isles team as he still can box out forwards in front of the net, block shots, and shoot the puck far down the ice on every first chance of clearing, which neither Pulock and Mayfield can do consistently as well. He is also a very smart player and does make good decisions on ice most of the time and still has one of the best shots from the point on the team that can either beat the goalies or assist on deflections. The problem is that he has been injured quite a bit in the last two years so his value will depend a lot on his health.

Dobson needs to play on the right side and it is tough for Isles to insert him into the lineup consistently with RHD Pulock, JB, and Mayfield all on the roster this coming season, thus someone has to go. Mayfield's contract value is too good especially in today's flat cap to pass up until Wilde is ready to replace him possibly in 2 or 3 years. Pulock can be traded for top picks, a very good 1st or 2nd line winger, or blue-chip prospects but as he is homegrown, still has not yet reached his ceiling and has great chemistry with Pelech, I doubt that they will go that route.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Really sounds what Red Wings should consider.

We would love a high caphit with lower money. Caphits are kind of meaninless at the moment. There's space anyways.

RHD is a need and leader for young core is a need.

LD should go on another direction.

I loved the swag that JB bought to the isles. When Snow traded for Boychuk & Leddy, the isles team D was a major weakness.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Wait... Johnny boychuk makes how much????

I can't believe it. That's brutal
He only makes $1.25 for next season and $5.25 in total for the remaining two years. His contract was frontloaded so his cap hit is actually much higher than his salary. In a year he will carry and $6 million hit for a total salary of $1.25 and will be quite interesting as a trade piece

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
He's a 3rd pairing d nowadays. Should be making 2 million. Who on earth will take that contract?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
if Islanders trade Boychuk now I am curious what Lou has up. between Boychuk and Toews potential caphits, they might have enough to sign somebody like Hoffman

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg maybe? They need a D and the islanders could potentially retain a bit?

Jets already have their RHD all signed, no need for anyone else. Jets might look for a top 4 LHD, that's their only need at this point.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
if Islanders trade Boychuk now I am curious what Lou has up. between Boychuk and Toews potential caphits, they might have enough to sign somebody like Hoffman

Do they? Pulock alone is probably worth $5 million on a longer-term deal. Barzal is... Barzal, and could get 9-10. Even if they trade Boychuk for nothing and LTIR Ladd that's "only" $20 million.

They'd have enough for a depth piece I think, but between that and still needing to dress 2 F/1 D, I don't see where they have the room. Could be wrong, though.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
2021 2nd Rafferty and Lind for Boychuck

:cry:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Do they? Pulock alone is probably worth $5 million on a longer-term deal. Barzal is... Barzal, and could get 9-10. Even if they trade Boychuk for nothing and LTIR Ladd that's "only" $20 million.

They'd have enough for a depth piece I think, but between that and still needing to dress 2 F/1 D, I don't see where they have the room. Could be wrong, though.

I would assume Hoffman is in the 6M range? ll that being said you might have a point that the Islanders might not have enough for a long term deal with Barzal in that case

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad