Islanders win first playoff series in 23 years

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Referees don't cost you the game. Neither do individual players. If Florida was better they would have won as a team. They weren't. Congratulations to the Islanders. Tavares doesn't get enough love in the NHL.

Just for arguments sake, if a series is very evenly matched, faulty officiating can be a difference-maker.

But anyone saying that the series should rightfully be Tied, still doesn't mean that the Islanders wouldn't have won it. But it's a tough pill for the losing side to take, knowing that certain calls didn't go their way.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
After watching John Tavares in the WJHC, I knew he was bound to find another level to his game eventually. Awesome to see him find another gear and save that game and close out the series.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
After watching John Tavares in the WJHC, I knew he was bound to find another level to his game eventually. Awesome to see him find another gear and save that game and close out the series.

He was in World Juniors almost a decade ago. Surely you've seen plenty of him since that to think this?

HumphreyBrogart

Apr 12, 2007
Mineola, LI/ Hoboken
Referees don't cost you the game. Neither do individual players. If Florida was better they would have won as a team. They weren't. Congratulations to the Islanders. Tavares doesn't get enough love in the NHL.

Too many times have I heard this directed as us Isles fans so it's nice to hear it the other way around for a change.

That said the Cats were great and carried a lot of the play. Islanders were like cockroaches...they refused to die. I would take any of Ekblad, Huberdeau, Barkov, Gudbranson, Trochek, Smith, Matheson, Kulikov, etc. etc. any day so the Panthers fans shouldn't feel too bad. This time next year they will probably be going to the second round. This definitely had the feel of a series where the younger team needed to lose so they can learn to what it takes to win for the next go around.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
There were fans of basically 20 other teams in the GDT thinking the Panthers got jobbed.

A Sabre fan posted: Looks like the Islanders are going to need a big fat * if they win this series.

Duck fan: panthers getting hosed again. I feel bad.

Did anyone mention how the Panthers got a penalty shot in OT last game that they didn't deserve?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
They have the best future in the NHL. Better than EDM, BUF, everyone. Just have to find a capable guy to take over for Lu eventually. Not sure what they have in the system, but that usually isn't difficult. Crazy high end youth on that team.

They drafted Sam Montembeault 78th last year and though it's early, he's showing great returns in the Q and the people who watch him really like his game. Hopefully he is the heir but he does only turn 20 late this year.

Either way, it's exciting to see this team have stockpiled everything that they have, bring Jagr on board, and turn a page from what was a bottoming franchise year after year. Dale Tallon is a hockey guru.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010

https://vine.co/v/iUwanHOLMT7
They do if call after call it is against you with either blatant noncall or easy call. How can you say this noncall didnt cost the game when there were only a minute left to play when this happened? You don`t want fair officiating "because reffs dont cost you games"?

And bad reffing itself don`t cost you games atleast if it is fair and you get your own chances when reffs make mistakes. But it is hard to win when you play by different rules.

This was really Tim Donaghy-tier officiating favoring isles.

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I don't get it. Florida scored just one goal in over 90 minutes --in consecutive games. You need the refs to help you get a second?

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
i can understand being bitter after a series loss, but in the end, FLA fans have nothing to cry about--that team has a very, very bright future ahead.......it was a great learning experience for them, and they'll be hungrier next season..........

The reffing wasn't great, but if the series went to 7 and the panthers lost, then I could understand being annoyed. People act like the islanders are a team that doesn't deserve to be there, and they act like panthers could have easily swept the isles if only the NHL didn't conspire against them

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
For a little perspective, the Ducks and the Panthers came into the league in '93, so the last time the Islanders won a playoff series was before either one of those teams had even played a regular season game.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
For a little perspective, the Ducks and the Panthers came into the league in '93, so the last time the Islanders won a playoff series was before either one of those teams had even played a regular season game.

I was 11 the last time the Isles won a series... I missed it because I was on vacation at a water park with my mom. It just so happens that tomorrow, me and my wife are taking our 2 year old son on vacation to a water park :laugh:

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
I hope more people realize now how good Tavares is, he willed the Isles to victory. And this is coming from a pens fan. Probably the most under appreciated Superstar in the league.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
I was 11 the last time the Isles won a series... I missed it because I was on vacation at a water park with my mom. It just so happens that tomorrow, me and my wife are taking our 2 year old son on vacation to a water park :laugh:

Come to think of it, I was 11 that year also and the kings cup fail was what got me into hockey.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Congrats. 3 OT wins in one round, and two double OT games in a row. Tavares was full credit beast mode in this game. The way that OT was going though, I was waiting for the Panthers to score the ugly one lol.

Greiss was great. Cool as a cucumber.

Best of luck going forward.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I hope more people realize now how good Tavares is, he willed the Isles to victory. And this is coming from a pens fan. Probably the most under appreciated Superstar in the league.

I've been saying this for years now, do you think anyone listens to me?

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Reffs cost two games for panthers. That`s a lot when you play for 4 wins.

And that bolded one:help: being spiteful and rubbing it in to cats fans makes you happy I guess. Unless you are isles fan and just damagecontrolling

Damage controlling winning the series in six?

Err, okay...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad