Islanders win first playoff series in 23 years

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The Islandrefs you mean?

I love how all the Islander haters are coming out it means we are relevant again...but between them and the Florida Panthers fans, I have never seen such a bunch of whiny, excuse making *****es in my life. You got a PENALTY SHOT in OVERTIME the other night, the amount of PPs was even last night. The way these people talk, you would think the Islanders were getting 8 PPs a game and Florida was getting 1. The Isles won the series because Greiss was phenomenal and Tavares is 2x better than anybody in a Panthers jersey. The refs gave the series to the Isles is biggest load of BS I have heard in my life. Of course they let plays go, there could have been 10 penalties called on Florida in the first period last night. The Isles have been getting shafted by officials many times for 2 decades. Get over it!!!

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
There's no compelling story this year. I feel like this season has just been a "going through the motion" type of season for the entire league. It's a bit of a joke.

That said, the STL-CHI series has been awesome.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
That was the first shift of the game and could easily be seen as a non-penalty.

I'm sorry, in no way can that be seen as a "non-penalty" in a vacuum. Not sure if there's videos next to rules, but I'd put my vote in for that play being holding the stick.

It went both ways all series. Gudbranson's hit on Nielsen was a penalty. Jagr's hit on Clutterbuck was a penalty. Trocheck got tripped twice. I never checked on the details of de Haan's gloving the puck in the crease (where he caught it outside of the crease and in the air) and if that should have been a penalty shot. I don't know so I won't argue for or against it.

Bottom line is the refs don't win or lose you the game. Teams get hosed all the time. I'm pretty annoyed that the non-calls against us were borderline dirty hits (Gudbranson and Jagr's unintentional intentional interference that blindsided Clutterbuck) and if it meant players getting hurt, well that sucks for us. For Panthers fans, I understand the calls at crucial times. From being a fan of professional sports to playing team sports my whole life, you control the game, not the refs. It was drilled into me when I played and once you get out of that mindset, you start to find the reasons in your own play for why you lost. Panthers couldn't get it done. Period.

It's also funny that Sabres and Rangers fans are so angry and are the ones who have been littering these threads more than anyone.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
There's no compelling story this year. I feel like this season has just been a "going through the motion" type of season for the entire league. It's a bit of a joke.

That said, the STL-CHI series has been awesome.

There's Kane as first American Hart Trophy winner, Panarin first rookie to crack 70 points since Kane, Burns and Karlsson having monster seasons for dmen (Karlsson ppg, Burns 27 goals and 353 shots), Holtby record-tying season, Washington dominance, Panthers' emergence, Habs collapse, etc. There have been enough stories, even though the quality of the hockey has been poor at times.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Congratulations to the Islanders on the series win and for ending the drought! Well done :handclap:

Tough luck for the Panthers, but congrats to them on a great turnaround season and thumbs up to the ageless wonder Jaromir Jagr for still wowing us after all these years :thumbu:

edott

Mar 10, 2016
It's amazing how many "too serious" responses are being displayed by some of you :laugh: :facepalm:

Well done to the Islanders, they've been a bit of a garbage organisation for 10-15 years, good on them!

They made 7 playoffs in 14 years, easily could have won any of them.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
Tough luck that the streak had to end with reffs handing two wins for the isles.:shakehead

But congratz anyways!

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Tough luck that the streak had to end with reffs handing two wins for the isles.:shakehead

But congratz anyways!

I know I was pissed too when the refs picked up the puck, skated down the rink and threw it behind Luongo and counted it as a goal. Absolutely disgusting. :shakehead

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
When did that happen? Post a vine or yt

https://vine.co/v/iUwanHOLMT7

Let's redo the whole game! Heck the whole series! Maybe we should have just excused ourselves from the playoffs in the first place, because the Islanders were "gifted" an entire series where the Panthers scored two goals in their last 9.5 periods of hockey. :shakehead

For the record, each team had three PP's last night. Maybe the Panthers should have scored on one of them. But regardless, the reffing was terrible on both sides. Don't act like the Panthers were victims of a conspiracy or something.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I love how all the Islander haters are coming out it means we are relevant again...but between them and the Florida Panthers fans, I have never seen such a bunch of whiny, excuse making *****es in my life. You got a PENALTY SHOT in OVERTIME the other night, the amount of PPs was even last night. The way these people talk, you would think the Islanders were getting 8 PPs a game and Florida was getting 1. The Isles won the series because Greiss was phenomenal and Tavares is 2x better than anybody in a Panthers jersey. The refs gave the series to the Isles is biggest load of BS I have heard in my life. Of course they let plays go, there could have been 10 penalties called on Florida in the first period last night. The Isles have been getting shafted by officials many times for 2 decades. Get over it!!!

He's a Pens or a Rangers fan. Those tripping non-calls were ********.

edott

Mar 10, 2016
Florida got a penalty shot in overtime. Last year Ovechkin took Tavares head off on winning goal in game six and got no penalty.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Oh come on now, any penalties missed against the Islanders do not count. Biased people gonna bias.

LOL that's way worse than the trip a few seconds later. I never saw that until now. Never realized how much of a chump Jokinen was until this series.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
LOL that's way worse than the trip a few seconds later. I never saw that until now. Never realized how much of a chump Jokinen was until this series.

Totally lost his head in a big spot. Must have caught that bug from the Penguins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad