Islanders win first playoff series in 23 years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
If the Panthers were the better team they would have won in four, won in five, won in six or won in seven. They lost in six. They could have had the puck 99% of the time and it doesn't matter. They were not the better team.

Yes, but teh reffs!!111

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
LOL so much bias. Zero debate that the holding the stick was a penalty. He was holding it clear as day, with his hand(not caught up in his equipment), for at least 5 seconds. It was 100% a penalty but the refs let it go. Game 2, JT had a 6" tap in with a wide open net and was blatantly hooked. It happens. Isles fans didnt gripe about it because we were too busy griping about being out-corsied every game.

Also, 2 separate media outlets commented on how hard Gallant had been on the refs since the drop of the puck opening game... maybe he took it too far?

I'm not bias at all, just stating that if I were a Panthers fan, I would have been extremely pissed at that no call causing a last minute tying goal.

StillAnIslesFan

Feb 26, 2010
I'm not bias at all, just stating that if I were a Panthers fan, I would have been extremely pissed at that no call causing a last minute tying goal.

The no call didnt cause a goal, poor defense and goaltending did. Oh, and JT :)

Actually this 'no-call' may have stopped a goal...

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Nice Swingers reference buddy.

I think Shawshank Redemption is more apropos to what Isles fans should be feeling today.

Red: ... who crawled through a river of **** and came out clean on the other side."

tumblr_mewgfsicbe1qkk6oy.gif

Shawshank works too!

I am thoroughly enjoying the anger, and I encourage all Islanders fans to read up and experience what it's like to root for a team people don't like, especially when they don't like your team because they just spanked theirs.

Swept the Rags in the seasons series and fed them to Pittsburgh (which worked better than anyone could have hoped), beat the Kitty Cats in six, and now roll into round 2 with a hot goalie and a superstar at the apex of his game. It's all too perfect to have actually happened. Other fan bases should be angry, especially if they have nothing left to do but hope we lose. Think about that: how many years have we been waiting for the Devils or Rangers to lose?

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
tVoJv4X.png

Well, with predictions this good, we can only hope they keep coming back.

The rage is glorious. As soon as you win that series, the drought disappears and everyone's perspective flips.

I enjoyed a poster telling me last night how no fans predicted the Panthers in 4 or 5. I like the other teams' fans (ahem Rangers) adding their "input" into the Islanders threads. The entertainment and comedic value is endless.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Congrats wish it didn't happen against the Panthers

Agreed, I was conflicted on this one.

Panthers are a young team (on average) and I think there's a lot they'll take away from this. I was pulling for them to win but I'm happy for the Islanders as well.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
It really does though. That game was over. And I guarantee you the odds would have been in Florida's favor for a game 7 at home.

If I was an Islanders fan I would genuinely be a little annoyed at how this went down because now there's an * next to this win that fans will be hearing about forever, and rightfully so.

And to the crowd blaming the Panthers for not scoring.. Who cares? Are teams not allowed to win 1-0? It was obvious both teams were taking no chances which led to a defensive battle.

The Panthers dominated the Islanders all game in possession and deserved the win. They got jobbed and I feel very bad for their fanbase. Even if they don't win game 7 they got robbed of a memorable home game. Great work NHL.

I agree with you that those were penalties, but come on now... In the scheme of sports those non calls are going to be pretty forgettable. You think anyone outside of die hard panthers and Isles fans are going to remember it or care in a few years?

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
I enjoyed a poster telling me last night how no fans predicted the Panthers in 4 or 5. I like the other teams' fans (ahem Rangers) adding their "input" into the Islanders threads. The entertainment and comedic value is endless.

Well, there's proof that 126 astute hockey minds selected the Panthers in 5 or 6. And I don't think it's any surprise that many of these sharp hockey analysts also root for the Rangers.

I couldn't possibly be enjoying this more. Just winning the series is great enough, but the ref whining, the brilliant predictions, the entire hockey world picking the Panthers...it's a perfect storm.

Our team is better than yours. Deal with it.

foreverdealwithit.gif

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
wow there's soooo much whining itt...

Congratz to the Islanders. After all they've been through as a franchise these last 23 years. They have some passionate fans who deserved better. I'm glad it's finally starting to pay off.

Too bad it had to be against the Panthers though. Would have been great for the market. Another that's suffered these last 20 years. But they are young and have a brillant future ahead.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Nice Swingers reference buddy.

I think Shawshank Redemption is more apropos to what Isles fans should be feeling today.

Red: ... who crawled through a river of **** and came out clean on the other side."

tumblr_mewgfsicbe1qkk6oy.gif

Love the reference.

Those complaining about the refs really need to drop it. There were a load of missed calls both ways. One team capitalized. The other didn't.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
STOP with this blaming the refs nonsense!

It's the playoffs and there are going to be missed calls on both sides (and there were). Some are going to be egregious (and there were). It's not the reason the Panthers lost, get-over-it.

Did the refs prevent the Panthers best player from scoring on a PS in OT?
Did the refs stop the Panthers from scoring on an empty net with a minute left in the 3rd period?
Did the Refs prevent the Cats from scoring more than 1 goal for 90 minutes in consecutive games?
Did the Refs prevent the Cats from scoring on the power plays they did manage to get?
Was that a zebra who missed coverage on JT's tying goal?
Was it a zebra that couldn't stop that wrap around goal for the win?

Stop.... just stop

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Love the reference.

Those complaining about the refs really need to drop it. There were a load of missed calls both ways. One team capitalized. The other didn't.

Bingo.

"But the game was over!" Bah.....don't get sloppy when there's still 1:05 left in the game. If it was "over" then we would have heard the final horn. The refs were letting things go on both sides.

Much respect to the Panthers, though. No clue who they penned for their goalie of the future after Luongo, but whomever it is, they'll be backstopping a deep, talented team.

goalsniper

Mar 11, 2011
Holy crap, are these panther fans or penguin fans? I can't tell because of all the crying about refs.

I love how there is no credit given to NYI at all despite the fact that they were outplayed for large stretches of the series.

All arguments I have heard are invalid:

The refs suck:
Even though a ton of calls were missed (on both sides), not to mention the 4TH EVER overtime penalty shot awarded to your team on a questionable call as Dehaan wasn't initially in the crease when he closed his hand on the puck. I was there last night, and the amount of b/s that was being let go on both sides was insane. Get over it.

The Cat's got beat by some crappy backup goalie: The crappy backup that posted a 925 save % in the regular season and outplayed Halak all season.

John Tavares isn't really that good (yes I've seen that one too). Yeah.. not even going to comment.

I've been there. 23 years is too long to wait for a win. Getting bounced in Rd 1 is terrible. It sucks. Not a great feeling. But stop being sore losers. Just stop. I will say this- Your team played a hell of a series and deserved to win. But so did the Islanders. Lets give them some credit for being zombie-like for coming back from the dead time after time.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
It's amazing how many "too serious" responses are being displayed by some of you :laugh: :facepalm:

Well done to the Islanders, they've been a bit of a garbage organisation for 10-15 years, good on them!

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
It's easy to be on the high horse when your team was not getting hosed all series long. All those timely power plays when Florida was carrying the play etc. The refs gave you a chance to take the series and you took it, nothing wrong with that. Just don't act so suprised there's not many people giving credit to the Islanders if they watched most of the series.

rileymac79

Nov 18, 2009
Winnipeg
It's easy to be on the high horse when your team was not getting hosed all series long. All those timely power plays when Florida was carrying the play etc. The refs gave you a chance to take the series and you took it, nothing wrong with that. Just don't act so suprised there's not many people giving credit to the Islanders if they watched most of the series.

Blame the refs all you want, but teams are not going to win many games scoring 1 goal. Panthers had plenty of opportunities, but didn't capitalize on them. Blame Greiss if anyone for your shortcomings.

Last edited:

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010

We won three overtime games. THREE. We didn't let Florida's possession domination hinder us, we kept playing. I'm proud of how we played.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc

credit is overrated....FLA lost

and as for the bolded....it is easy to be on the high horse when your team won...

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Florida had the chance to take the series multiple times and failed to do so. Floridas best player had the game on his stick and looked scared on the penalty shot, my girlfriend called that save and she doesn't watch hockey.

Virtually every TV and radio personality who follow this game closer than most of us has spoken on the matter. The consensus is that the trip non-calls did not cost Florida the series. Couldn't put a puck in an EN. A small minority of Florida fans are being mature, holding their players accountable for not coming through when it mattered, the rests are crying ref.

Gallants ineptitude did not help either. One thing was obvious, Nick Leddy was the most effective Islander In regards to zone entry. Not after Game 1, 2, 3 4 or 5 did the Panthers adjust to attempt to contain him. That is poor coaching, no ifs ands or buts. Any footage from the last two seasons shows you that's text book Leddy. Florida did not have a D-Man capable of carrying the puck the length of the ice.

I actually really like the Panthers for many reasons. The excuses and scapegoating of the fan base is pathetic. You think the players are blaming the refs. Barkov wants that penalty shot back and whichever D watched Leddy breeze by them would definitely give a more inspired pursuit. Give it up already .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad