Islanders win first playoff series in 23 years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Great series, so nice to have the team playing meaningful playoff hockey.

The refs had a minimal impact, they were not great but the players decided the game

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
I can't agree more. As Islanders fans we should be upset that the team won because the refs helped us win the series. We should all hang our heads low that the streak ended this way. Tomorrow instead of feeling joy I will wear a veil to hide my shame.

If your asking me to say that the refs missed calls, welp, I have no problem with that. If your asking me to feel sorry about winning a playoff round after 22 seasons, welp, your dead wrong IMHO.
You should take what you get but I don`t get why some of you claim that referees didn`t help isles? Admitting isles had actually very helpful wrong calls and noncalls doesn`t mean you can`t be happy your team advanced to the second round.

and please don`t post texts like this: "As Islanders fans we should be upset that the team won because the refs helped us win the series. We should all hang our heads low that the streak ended this way. Tomorrow instead of feeling joy I will wear a veil to hide my shame. " It just make you look like pouty teenager:laugh: That text reminded me of my 10 year old little sister and her way to argue:laugh:

King King

Two Joes, No Cups
Aug 7, 2011
Seattle
I was cheering for Florida, but still pretty cool to see the Isles bust the slump.

Islanders fans have gone through a lot of crap these past decades, I know how great it must feel to see them advance.

MattMartin

Crypto Dbag™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
You should take what you get but I don`t get why some of you claim that referees didn`t help isles? Admitting isles had actually very helpful wrong calls and noncalls doesn`t mean you can`t be happy your team advanced to the second round.

and please don`t post texts like this: "As Islanders fans we should be upset that the team won because the refs helped us win the series. We should all hang our heads low that the streak ended this way. Tomorrow instead of feeling joy I will wear a veil to hide my shame. " It just make you look like pouty teenager:laugh: That text reminded me of my 10 year old little sister and her way to argue:laugh:

Actually I'm thrilled we won. On the other hand, I see someone pouting and it's not me.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
i can understand being bitter after a series loss, but in the end, FLA fans have nothing to cry about--that team has a very, very bright future ahead.......it was a great learning experience for them, and they'll be hungrier next season..........

The reffing wasn't great, but if the series went to 7 and the panthers lost, then I could understand being annoyed. People act like the islanders are a team that doesn't deserve to be there, and they act like panthers could have easily swept the isles if only the NHL didn't conspire against them

This game was gift wrapped for the Islanders by the refs. The officiating was so bad in the last minute that I want to start a GoFundMe for Panthers fans dealing with the aftermath.

How the actual **** do those 2 (not one. TWO) blatant trips right in front of the ref not get called. A penalty there forces the goalie back in for the defensive zone draw and essentially guarantees a Panthers win.

So I find it amazing you can't seem to understand why Panthers fans are annoyed. I'm not even a Panthers fan and I wanted to punch the TV. This game should've been going back to Florida with the momentum on their side where they have a very good chance to win the series. What an embarrassment for the NHL

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I thought the isles were the underdogs with griess in net, and that it was a toss up otherwise.

I remember them losing at least a couple 7 game series since 1993, so I feel good for their fans.

Speaking of the fans, give yourself a pat on the back for creating such an atmosphere at Barclay's. It comes across like a soccer match, and it adds to the viewing experience in TV land.

It doesn't sound like they lost any of that raucous playoff atmosphere from Nassau that has been revitalized in the tavares era.

Serenade

Feb 5, 2008
This game was gift wrapped for the Islanders by the refs. The officiating was so bad in the last minute that I want to start a GoFundMe for Panthers fans dealing with the aftermath.

How the actual **** do those 2 (not one. TWO) blatant trips right in front of the ref not get called. A penalty there forces the goalie back in for the defensive zone draw and essentially guarantees a Panthers win.

So I find it amazing you can't seem to understand why Panthers fans are annoyed. I'm not even a Panthers fan and I wanted to punch the TV. This game should've been going back to Florida with the momentum on their side where they have a very good chance to win the series. What an embarrassment for the NHL

Good teams find a way to overcome these types of situations...but on the other hand, bad teams need to be able to trip with impunity to overcome I guess.

Don't blame the isles fans for celebrating this victory. They really have no control over how the games are officiated.

Also, don't give me bs comparisons of it "going both ways" as if the weight of tripping non calls actually compares to any other power play, penalty shot or miss calls in favor of the Panthers actually compares...it's ludicrous.

That being said, JT! What a beast.

GiveDWrightskates

Jul 9, 2007
Oslo
So every game is called equally? Can you show me those blatant noncalls that favored cats because by your logic there should be those. I`m waiting eagerly.

The fact that you can't think of any (Jokinen clutching Hamonic's stick for like 8 seconds so he couldn't join a rush in the first period, to name one of many) prove just how biased you are.

GiveDWrightskates

Jul 9, 2007
Oslo

Yeah, your neutral the same way Islanders fans are "neutral" watching the Rangers play a team like the Panthers.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
There were bad calls going both ways in this entire series and yes Isles got lucky in this game and I am an Isles fan. However you know what, for the last 2 years Isles clearly got the short end of officiating in the series against Pens 2 year ago and against Caps one year ago so I guess somehow the hockey god has even it up because the refs are human and make bad judgement calls. Would it happen to the Isles again this year? May very well happens in the next series or if they advance, in the series against the Pens and Caps. However the outcome does not change as the Pens and Caps took fully advantage of the officiating in their favor and were thus fully deserving of their two series wins over the Isles. If JT did not score those two goals and the Panthers did not hit the crossbar in OT then there will be a game 7.

Florida play very well and this team should have nothing to be shamed of. You got a great young team and most likely will be back next year in the post season and you may get the officiating on your side next time around. These things will even out over time.

Of course if the ref official supervising this game thinks the refs did a bad job, they can certainly do something about it, as that is their job, right?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I had Florida winning the series, but I'm thrilled that Tavares is back in form and leading his team on what I hope will be a long playoff run. J.T. is all class.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

While I agree the tripping call should have been made...the Panthers not scoring over the next 30+ minutes of play is what cost them the game.

Both teams got away with quite a few calls earlier in the game (including the Panthers).

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
The fact that you can't think of any (Jokinen clutching Hamonic's stick for like 8 seconds so he couldn't join a rush in the first period, to name one of many) prove just how biased you are.

That was the first shift of the game and could easily be seen as a non-penalty.

While I agree the tripping call should have been made...the Panthers not scoring over the next 30+ minutes of play is what cost them the game.

Both teams got away with quite a few calls earlier in the game (including the Panthers).

That doesn't even make sense. I'm a neutral fan and I think there should have been a tripping call. Florida only really needed the 1 goal to win the game, and the next 30+ mins of hockey shouldn't even have happened.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
In some markets you just have to play past the officiating, but it sucks to lose like that. I still feel like the Cats are a year or two away from making serious noise in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad