Islanders win first playoff series in 23 years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
They do if call after call it is against you with either blatant noncall or easy call. How can you say this noncall didnt cost the game when there were only a minute left to play when this happened? You don`t want fair officiating "because reffs dont cost you games"?

And bad reffing itself don`t cost you games atleast if it is fair and you get your own chances when reffs make mistakes. But it is hard to win when you play by different rules.

This was really Tim Donaghy-tier officiating favoring isles.

Referees make mistakes with all 30 teams. There's no conspiracy. Every team has to play through them. When Calgary had the Cup won in game six and bad officiating took it away, they should have either finished game six again or won game seven. They didn't. It wasn't because the refs wanted Tampa to win but because Calgary wasn't good enough.

Every team has had bad calls. Of course I want perfect officiating. It has never happened. If you can't play through it you don't deserve it.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
There are 3 other threads you can constantly post this stupid video in. Why not just leave this one alone?

The truth has to be told:sarcasm:. And how is it stupid? Because it shows my claims are true?

Referees make mistakes with all 30 teams. There's no conspiracy. Every team has to play through them. When Calgary had the Cup won in game six and bad officiating took it away, they should have either finished game six again or won game seven. They didn't. It wasn't because the refs wanted Tampa to win but because Calgary wasn't good enough.

Every team has had bad calls. Of course I want perfect officiating. It has never happened. If you can't play through it you don't deserve it.
"There`s no conspiracy" - I`m sure that line was used when they discussed about Tim Donaghy`s officiating:sarcasm:. And I`m not claiming that NHL wants isles to win. I`m just saying that reffs were the major sporadic(?) reason for cats losing two games with their blatant Tim Donaghy-esque noncalls.

I`m just a normal guy taking time from my sleeptime to watch good, hard, skillfull and (atleast I thought so) fair playoff hockey and thishttps://vine.co/v/iUwanHOLMT7 is what I get? Maybe I just value justice too much. I have seen bad officiating but this game is number one in that category and hopefully will always be. Never seen this one-sided calling. Just shameful.

Last edited:

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
I mean trying to play it like reffs didn`t have a major role in two of those wins. Stoled candy tastes as good as bought one so I can somewhat understand you guys.
https://vine.co/v/iUwanHOLMT7

Stoled candy is delicious. Reffs tend to be viewed more negatively by the fans of the losing team than fans of the winning team for obvious reasons; the pile-on effect creates the sense that something real is happening. There's been three penalty shots in the playoffs in the modern era; the 2016 Florida Panthers got one of them. There were egregious calls missed both ways, and some questionable calls made both ways.

But it ultimately doesn't matter. Losing is losing, winning is winning, and Florida will be right back in the mix next year. The Islanders play on. If there's anyone who sincerely believes in a pro-Islanders conspiracy, I'd ask WHY THE HELL DID THE NHL WAIT SO LONG TO GET IT GOING?!? Team could still be on Long Island had the league cooked this brilliant scheme up two decades ago.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
Stoled candy is delicious. Reffs tend to be viewed more negatively by the fans of the losing team than fans of the winning team for obvious reasons; the pile-on effect creates the sense that something real is happening. There's been three penalty shots in the playoffs in the modern era; the 2016 Florida Panthers got one of them. There were egregious calls missed both ways, and some questionable calls made both ways.

But it ultimately doesn't matter. Losing is losing, winning is winning, and Florida will be right back in the mix next year. The Islanders play on. If there's anyone who sincerely believes in a pro-Islanders conspiracy, I'd ask WHY THE HELL DID THE NHL WAIT SO LONG TO GET IT GOING?!? Team could still be on Long Island had the league cooked this brilliant scheme up two decades ago.
I don`t know how this can come as a surprise to you but not everyone watching the games are fans of either teams. So you say that penalty shot wasn`t the right call? Lets hear your explanation.

Last edited:

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It's only one sided when you pay attention to one side.

He doesn't get this. You can't talk justice without hearing both sides cases. Isles won, so most of us are not concerned with putting together a case cause celebration is the theme.

If it would make him feel better, Sometime i'll put together a series of clips or gifs of all the missed calls FL got away with, I'm not even trolling, I can put it on a dvd and send it to him if he want's.

Objectivity is tough when your emotionally invested in something. If he takes a step back and looks at the big picture, i'm sure he'll have his "ah-ha" moment eventually.

Group Chat Legend*

As much as I dislike the Islanders, they deserve congratulations on the spell being broken.

There was more than one game and one call to sway the series.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
So every game is called equally? Can you show me those blatant noncalls that favored cats because by your logic there should be those. I`m waiting eagerly.

I'll get it for you, PM me. You seem distraught, I can't promise i'll do it tonight or tomorrow though. 99.9% of Isles fans are celebrating and I want to join them.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
He doesn't get this. You can't talk justice without hearing both sides cases. Isles won, so most of us are not concerned with putting together a case cause celebration is the theme.

If it would make him feel better, Sometime i'll put together a series of clips or gifs of all the missed calls FL got away with, I'm not even trolling, I can put it on a dvd and send it to him if he want's.

Objectivity is tough when your emotionally invested in something. If he takes a step back and looks at the big picture, i'm sure he'll have his "ah-ha" moment eventually.

Do it:handclap:. I love "ah-ha" -moments. And to be both sided, please do also version of all the missed calls isles got away with.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
So every game is called equally? Can you show me those blatant noncalls that favored cats because by your logic there should be those. I`m waiting eagerly.

No that's what you don't understand. It's not about equal. Equal isn't fair. Make up calls are the biggest problem with officiating and fans demand it so the NHL ensures it. Referees are human. They are going to miss calls. They are going to call someone for something soft then miss something else that wasn't. That's the nature of humans having to make the calls. It gets worse in the playoffs with a precedent of "whistles in the pocket"

I'm no video editor but Ekblad was crosschecking every Islander that got near Luongo especially in game five.

MattMartin

Crypto Dbag™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Do it:handclap:. I love "ah-ha" -moments. And to be both sided, please do also version of all the missed calls isles got away with.

Why crap on the Islanders winning though? You can argue the refs screwed up and that's fine, but why blame the players/fans? We have not won a playoff round in 23 freaking years! I hope nobody ever pours on your parade if your team ever wins something (not sure who your team is btw). Anyone claiming the fix was in because of the NY market is out of their mind when speaking about the Islanders. We are not the Jets, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, Yankees, or Mets. We are closer to the Devils and Nets.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
No that's what you don't understand. It's not about equal. Equal isn't fair. Make up calls are the biggest problem with officiating and fans demand it so the NHL ensures it. Referees are human. They are going to miss calls. They are going to call someone for something soft then miss something else that wasn't. That's the nature of humans having to make the calls. It gets worse in the playoffs with a precedent of "whistles in the pocket"

I'm no video editor but Ekblad was crosschecking every Islander that got near Luongo especially in game five.

By equally I meant fair. Your buddy will get those crosschecks, then we can discuss how did they effect the game. And of course referees makes mistakes and they are "allowed" to do it because they are humans after all as you said. Still this is the most one-sided officiating I have ever seen and this wasn`t the first time in this series when reffs noncall lead to a isles goal. Mistakes are human and "allowed", constant one sided mistakes are not atleast IMO. But you can keep your opinion that referees` calls and noncalls doesn`t have a influence on the scoresheet and I`m ready to eat my words after seeing all those calls. Ugh.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Do they influence the scoresheet? Of course. Do you suck as a team if that's your whole reason for not winning four games out of seven in a playoff series? You bet.

Panthers weren't good enough. That's it.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Tavares and Greiss won this series. You have a top forward perform like that along with a hot goalie and a disciplined team overall, hard to beat. Isles conditioning is noticeably better than last year when they looked gassed in game 7.

There's only a few players in the league like Tavares and I'm just glad he's healthy now. Beside his skill, his determination is just unbelievable.

Florida has a great future. They will learn from this series like the Isles have recently.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
Why crap on the Islanders winning though? You can argue the refs screwed up and that's fine, but why blame the players/fans? We have not won a playoff round in 23 freaking years! I hope nobody ever pours on your parade if your team ever wins something (not sure who your team is btw). Anyone claiming the fix was in because of the NY market is out of their mind when speaking about the Islanders. We are not the Jets, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, Yankees, or Mets. We are closer to the Devils and Nets.

Where have I blamed players or fans?(or you mean by posting on this thread? I`m just debating those isles fans who claims reffs didn`t do anything wrong) Dunno if that "the fix was in because.." was for me, but I have not claimed that NHL wanted the isles to win. More likely Tim Donaghy situation than order from the top:laugh:

"I hope nobody ever pours on your parade if your team ever wins something" I surely hope it doesn`t happen this way. Or dunno if I`m homer enough to not care.

MattMartin

Crypto Dbag™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Where have I blamed players or fans?(or you mean by posting on this thread? I`m just debating those isles fans who claims reffs didn`t do anything wrong) Dunno if that "the fix was in because.." was for me, but I have not claimed that NHL wanted the isles to win. More likely Tim Donaghy situation than order from the top:laugh:

"I hope nobody ever pours on your parade if your team ever wins something" I surely hope it doesn`t happen this way. Or dunno if I`m homer enough to not care.

I can't agree more. As Islanders fans we should be upset that the team won because the refs helped us win the series. We should all hang our heads low that the streak ended this way. Tomorrow instead of feeling joy I will wear a veil to hide my shame.

If your asking me to say that the refs missed calls, welp, I have no problem with that. If your asking me to feel sorry about winning a playoff round after 22 seasons, welp, your dead wrong IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad