Is this the closet Connor McDavid gonna get to a Stanley Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
If McDavid knows what's good for him, he'll recreate this commercial to help get the good juju going:

First thing I thought of was this commercial after the game yesterday. Crosby and the Pens won the following year, and then of course back to back later in his career. Truth be told, he never lost another Cup final.

No one knows if McDavid will get back. They have the same team next year, I could argue they are the favourites entering the NHL season in the fall. But it's hard, there is a window with the Oilers, it isn't as if they'll have this team for the next decade or anything. They do have to win soon, next year preferably. There are loads of all-time great athletes that never got back and never won. Could it be him? We'll see.

UED

May 2, 2021
With the oilers? Absolutely

This was the luckiest string of events that will ever happen to the oilers and now its only gonna get harder

Wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs
One of their players scores 3 points every other game. They basically start the year with 41 wins and everyone else just has to get them what, 5 or 6 wins out of the other 41 games. And it's not even close to being like the first guy doesn't also score in those other games. They can't possibly miss the playoffs unless something happens to McDavid.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This was their season to do it... who knows tho what may happen down the road with him tho as his career goes on

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Vancouver was a top team this year though. Tampa was not. Vegas squeaked into the playoffs. Big difference? Nah. Edmonton showed they could hang with the big boys in every series. It was a fun ride. Panthers are a worthy winner for sure and I wouldn't try to discredit them. Once it got to the final 4, the only team I did not want to win was the Rangers. Any other outcome was/is fine by me, despite rooting most for the Oilers.

Now for me to look forward to the draft, since my teams both suck. :laugh:

Lol. Vancouver was a top team on last year (beginning of the season) when all the advanced stats said they were extremely lucky and terrible this year.

But even more important, Vancouver's 2 best players did not show up on that postseason. Pettersson was playing like 4th liner whole playoffs, and top2 goalie Demko was injured. On the cherry on the top, their mvp this post-season Boeser got some strange illness during the Oilers series.

About Dallas series, it was obvious that their 1C Hintz who carried them last year played without one arm (on those games he was able to attend), and there was some other core Stars players who could barely skate.

This plus meeting the second worst team on this year's playoffs Kings on the first round is not extremely impressive path. But since they are on Pacific, they could have a couple easy rounds again next year.

Last edited:

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
Ignoring 11 pages of answers to one of the most unnecessary questions of all time on hfboards.
Answer 1: Who knows?
Answer 2: Who may know?
Answer 3; Time will tell.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Lol. Vancouver was a top team on last year (beginning of the season) when all the advanced stats said they were extremely lucky and terrible this year.

But even more important, Vancouver's 2 best players did not show up on that postseason. Pettersson was playing like 4th liner whole playoffs, and top2 goalie Demko was injured. On the cherry on the top, their mvp this post-season Boeser got some strange illness during the Oilers series.

About Dallas series, it was obvious that their 1C Hintz who carried them last year played without one arm (on those games he was able to attend), and there was some other core Stars players who could barely skate.

This plus meeting the second worst team on this year's playoffs Kings on the first round is not extremely impressive path. But since they are on Pacific, they could have a couple easy rounds again next year.
What's that I hear? Excuses? I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you. I hope you're not a Dallas fan, because I actually like them.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Which teams do they have to play for it to count? Can we get your list ahead of time so we’ll know whether or not next years playoffs are legitimate?

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They'll be back. Skinner made me a believer. If the Oilers upgrade their D just a bit more, they're contenders.
Edm has limited options to upgrade. Simply with players exercising their NTC so their pool of available players to acquire is smaller, similar to Winnipeg. And players just opting to not sign as a free agent.

Tanev isn't what he once was, but he's shown to be a strong stabilizing presence. Can the Oilers convince him to sign with them on a short 2 year term?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

lol no they didn’t. In fact, the Kings, Stars and Canucks were 3rd, 4th and 8th in xGF% 5v5.

Anyway, it’s getting harder and harder for the best players to win these days but I still have to imagine he does at some point.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I love how "an abdominal injury that will likely require surgery" becomes "a serious injury requiring major surgery." Maybe wait till there's more information out before you start counting your chickens eh.

I’d bet a hernia, which probably shouldn’t be an issue long term

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Depends on the GM hire. Another Chia or Holland caliber GM and I could see a G7 SCF loss being the closest, if they hire even a semi-competent guy I doubt it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Man the haters are out in full force eh. Kinda sad, especially the ones hating on Edmonton. Answer is yes he absolutely will win one and I think it will be in Edmonton. He's that good and he is a very loyal person.

Reactions: Coffey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad