Is this the closet Connor McDavid gonna get to a Stanley Cup?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
So much has to go right to make a long run like this, and Edm basically only have a window of next year to make such a run, so I will say this is likely the last chance he will get to a cup in edm.

Very unlikely that a Toronto boy will stay his whole career in edmonton, he however has so much more skill than his peers that he will likely Will a future team to a cup whether as the main driver or a complimentary piece.

• Haha
Reactions: ManByng

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
The biggest problem is, this team is not built to win the cup. Even though they have some decent players, it just seems like their biggest strategy is to ride McDavid/Draisaitl. I think up front they can get away with it, but they have serious holes on their defense and goaltending which will make it very difficult for them to win.

This is it. The Oilers have to have more well-rounded team. I mean it's not that it's impossible for a couple superstars to drag them across the finish line. It very nearly just happened. But it's a lot more likely if they just have a better team all round. I'd say they should go all in this summer though.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Sure, but two of those last three games McDavid scored 8 points. This team can't get far if McDavid/Draisaitl don't produce.

Skinner is not bad, but he's not a world class goalie like Bobrovsky. I suppose you could win cups with average goalies since it has been done, but in most cases it was because of amazing defense, which the Oilers are seriously lacking in imo.
Bob was brutal in games 4, 5 and 6. I think a good part of Bob's success is the defence in front of him. Once the Panthers sat back in games 4, 5 and 6, he was lit up like a Christmas tree. Heck players like Janmark and Brown scored easily on him as he is weak on his blocker side.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m going to say no. The special players always seem to find a way to win at least one. Ovechkin’s tenure with the Capitals is a good example of that. He’s never been past the second round outside of the year Washington won the Cup. But he and the Caps found a way to get it done in that season.
EDM needs to clean up their cap situation. NOt sure how they do that.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I think he will be back, but it felt like the stars aligned for them with a favourable path this year, which isn’t guaranteed to happen every year.

1. Vegas loses their last game of of the season at home against Anaheim, which lead to Edmonton facing the Kings instead of Vegas.

2. Oilers facing a 3rd string goalie in round 2.

3. Oilers facing a beat up Dallas team that had to go 6 and 7 games against Colorado and Vegas.

Really felt like they were a team of destiny but fell just short in game 7 of the finals.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
So much has to go right to make a long run like this, and Edm basically only have a window of next year to make such a run, so I will say this is likely the last chance he will get to a cup in edm.

Very unlikely that a Toronto boy will stay his whole career in edmonton, he however has so much more skill than his peers that he will likely Will a future team to a cup whether as the main driver or a complimentary piece.
Edm's run was a perfect storm of scoring with McDavid getting 40 pts, Skinner playing better than usual, their defence being more aggressive and better and they had a killer PK run. The chances of Oilers doing that all again next playoffs is slim.

Florida on the other hand in the playoffs was more subdued. In the finals, they didnt even score much, Bobby got nailed in a bunch of games, scored hardly any PP goals and still won.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I think he will be back, but it felt like the stars aligned for them with a favourable path this year, which isn’t guaranteed to happen every year.

1. Vegas loses their last game of of the season at home against Anaheim, which lead to Edmonton facing the Kings instead of Vegas.

2. Oilers facing a 3rd string goalie in round 2.

3. Oilers facing a beat up Dallas team that had to go 6 and 7 games against Colorado and Vegas.

Really felt like they were a team of destiny but fell just short in game 7 of the finals.

It's a grind regardless of the path you take. It's the reason it's the most difficult trophy to win in sports. There's no easy way to get to the Stanley Cup final, every team takes a beating along the way.

Also to follow up the 3 points you made above

Edmonton beats all those teams because they are simply better than them.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I’m going to say no. The special players always seem to find a way to win at least one. Ovechkin’s tenure with the Capitals is a good example of that. He’s never been past the second round outside of the year Washington won the Cup. But he and the Caps found a way to get it done in that season.
To be honest, I think this Oilers team is much better than the 2018 Caps

Reactions: Incognito

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Yes. They had everything go their way this year and they still lost. It's not easy going back to the finals.

The path to the finals won't be as easy next year.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Edmonton beats all those teams because they are simply better than them.

The stars couldn't have aligned harder for Edmonton. Looking forward to them replicating all of this next year, because it's totally, say it with me, sustainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad