Post-Game Talk: Is There a Coach Tinder? If so, Swipe Right! Oilers lose 6-3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

vPMDHxY.gif

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
The difference is Todd being fired will help real quick short term. The season is not lost, not even close. Todd replaced has a chance to fix the season and then look long term to replacing Peter. I know it sucks but we need this.

I don't think this season is lost by any means yet... but just looking at this roster doesn't have me very optimistic about any playoff spot regardless of who is coaching it. I'm not too sure any coach could do much with this roster with any system tbh. The biggest fault of this mess is the GM.. the architect of this horribly built team. I've disagreed with many of Todd's coaching decisions but I actually really like him as a person and kind of feel bad for him. Chiarelli on the other hand just makes me mad and I just want him gone from this organization ASAP.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The media seems weirdly on side with Todd.

Because Todd is MacT's and by default, Katz' boy.

I agree with others that for short term results you punt the head coach, for long term you find a good GM, it's tougher to find a good GM than it is to find a good coach IMO. There are no Quenville level GM's out there right now other than Yzerman that is.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That’s been my take too. He must have the warmer personality of the two. I don’t see how anyone, not friends or family, can be watching the games and thinking he’s doing a good job.
It's cause of that whole "we have too many coaches, it can't be their fault they suck!"

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It's cause of that whole "we have too many coaches, it can't be their fault they suck!"

Most pieces of management stay in place. They just swap chairs on the deck of the ship. It's a joke, and they're not fooling anyone. Or at least fewer and fewer these days, I'd hope.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
- f*** Matt Benning. 2 of the goals against are on him. Stupid talentless hack. Can't skate, falls all the time, can't pass, can't cover his man, has zero awareness. Why the hell does this organization keep pretending he's an NHL level defenceman. It hasn't happened by now it's not going to happen! He wasn't good when he first got here and he hasn't gotten better. And Chia the moron extends him. That's the ONLY reason he keeps playing despite his constant mistakes our stupid money commitment.
- Talbot is a weak minded joke of a starter. You could just tell when that puck bounced off the moron Benning and popped into the net that he mentally he was going to fold. Also one of the weakest glove hands in the League statistically and it shows. Goes down too early and can't find pucks. The amount of times he looks confused out there is high.
- Effort level was HIGH tonight for all those here who likes to keep excusing Oiler losses on "effort". We skated tonight like we do a lot of nights. Doesn't matter how hard you skate and how hard you hustle when you suck and don't have the talent.
- Spooner had 3 decent looking sequences this game. A nice rush, a nice pass, and a nice shot. There's definitely some offensive talent there. Last game he was bad defensively though. So he's pretty much exactly as advertised.
- Ty Rattie was somehow scratched for this game in favor of Patrick Russel (who will be a nobody in this league). Another AHL level talent the Oilers are hoping and praying somehow works out for us.
- ZERO OFFENSIVE SYSTEM this team has. NONE. No semblance of any plan in the O zone. That's got to be on the coach right?
- Oh and while were on the coach can anyone EVER remember a time when Tmac has called a timeout to settle the troops? Can anyone ever remember a time when the team is getting caved and they come out of an intermission looking like a completely better team? No one knows what's going on during intermissions but I doubt Tmac is saying anything of substance.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’m trying to think back to the days prior to Eakins getting turfed. We all knew it was coming, the mood was the exact same on this board then as it is now. But I don’t recall anyone in the media suggesting or hinting a move was being made until they announced it.
The biggest similarity might be that the GM didn’t want him fired and somebody above him had to make it happen. That’s why the media might have been out of the loop.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Think he over-looked that every other team can do the same, while also making good trades to fill holes. Chia's not cut up for something so complex and time consuming, I suppose.

they should fire chia just to see...

but ill reserve judgement on how many....sweet....deals.....the oilers are able to make when it actually happens.....for the first time in forever.....

Reactions: KarmaPolice

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I don't think this season is lost by any means yet... but just looking at this roster doesn't have me very optimistic about any playoff spot regardless of who is coaching it. I'm not too sure any coach could do much with this roster with any system tbh. The biggest fault of this mess is the GM.. the architect of this horribly built team. I've disagreed with many of Todd's coaching decisions but I actually really like him as a person and kind of feel bad for him. Chiarelli on the other hand just makes me mad and I just want him gone from this organization ASAP.

Well, a system would be better then what we do know would be an improvement. I want Chiarelli gone but he brought in players to fix the penalty kill. Brought in coaches to fix power play. A mistake was made in not relaxing the goaltending coach. I don't feel bad for him. Chiarelli brought a goalie in who is doing okay this season but yet won't pull talbot after 4 goals in 11 shots. Problem is that this is an anomaly it happens way too often.

I agree Chiarelli is terrible and should be gone but this is a coaching problem.

Reactions: Studz

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Remember that Horcoff contract that was overpayment? It looks fantastic compared to the Lucic contract. You don't have to overpay free agents to get them. For example, Patrick Maroon was signed for a 1 year, $1.75M contract as a free agent by the Blues. Maroon > Lucic

The moment Chia traded two top draft picks for Griffin Reinhart was the moment I knew our team was doomed. Chia traded Seguin, Hall, Eberle, two top draft picks, and got nothing valuable in return. FIRE HIM!!! Let the new GM pick his new coach.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
- **** Matt Benning. 2 of the goals against are on him. Stupid talentless hack. Can't skate, falls all the time, can't pass, can't cover his man, has zero awareness. Why the hell does this organization keep pretending he's an NHL level defenceman. It hasn't happened by now it's not going to happen! He wasn't good when he first got here and he hasn't gotten better. And Chia the moron extends him. That's the ONLY reason he keeps playing despite his constant mistakes our stupid money commitment.
- Talbot is a weak minded joke of a starter. You could just tell when that puck bounced off the moron Benning and popped into the net that he mentally he was going to fold. Also one of the weakest glove hands in the League statistically and it shows. Goes down too early and can't find pucks. The amount of times he looks confused out there is high.
- Effort level was HIGH tonight for all those here who likes to keep excusing Oiler losses on "effort". We skated tonight like we do a lot of nights. Doesn't matter how hard you skate and how hard you hustle when you suck and don't have the talent.
- Spooner had 3 decent looking sequences this game. A nice rush, a nice pass, and a nice shot. There's definitely some offensive talent there. Last game he was bad defensively though. So he's pretty much exactly as advertised.
- Ty Rattie was somehow scratched for this game in favor of Patrick Russel (who will be a nobody in this league). Another AHL level talent the Oilers are hoping and praying somehow works out for us.
- ZERO OFFENSIVE SYSTEM this team has. NONE. No semblance of any plan in the O zone. That's got to be on the coach right?

He's honestly awful. If he has to play over 6 minutes a game, you're in trouble. A guy like him shouldn't be seeing major minutes on an elite hockey team. That's one piece of hard evidence that we are NOT an elite team going by roster pieces, if that wasn't known or needed before.

I've called him a true #7 Dman before, but I think he's actually more suited to be on your 2nd pairing in the AHL.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
The difference is Todd being fired will help real quick short term. The season is not lost, not even close. Todd replaced has a chance to fix the season and then look long term to replacing Peter. I know it sucks but we need this.

Yeah because that worked out great last season, and we're in the same position as then as well. Let's just throw away another year and hope they do well in the lottery.....What if this team isn't as shitty as they appear to be and Todd really is trash? I mean, you really have to question a lot of the decisions he makes. It's time for a change.

Reactions: frag2

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I wish I was upset they lost. ...But I'm not. I just don't feel anything. And even if they change the coach the roster is still a heaping pile of dung. The problems for this organization run very, very deep.

To the braindead who have supported this disaster by buying tickets the past 12 year. WTH are you doing? So long as the arena sells out nothing will change.
Stay away...get a hobby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad