Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Right now they would, but back then, you had Slaf capturing hearts with his confidence and swagger (and living off his fluke run with the national team), and Wright being the long-awaited saviour at C battling for the #1 selection. With the draft in your own barn, how do you go with someone else at 1? I don't think you do. IIRC, Cooley wasn't really considered as the best prospect at any point.
No, it was always between Wright and Slaf. Would have taken some real balls (and intelligence) to pass on both of those studs.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Naming someone as worst ever 1OA at 19 is insane.
That said, he is steadily on his way to become Yakupov's and Stefan's heir and even surpass them.
Let's hope the kid has some fight in him and avoids that fate.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
19 man. Too early to say at least for me
You just want to be sure when you say it. I get it

Naming someone as worst ever 1OA at 19 is insane.
That said, he is steadily on his way to become Yakupov's and Stefan's heir and even surpass them.
Let's hope the kid has some fight in him and avoids that fate.
Its insane, but you admit it sure is looking like it.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Eventually kid will get his sh** together and become some 40-50 pts player.
He will be considered one of the biggest busts ever but not the worst 1OA.
I think he's not that brain dead like Yak or Stefan.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
probably will be

has there ever been another 1OA whose own fanbase OVERWHELMINGLY didn't even want them prior to the draft?

that's how weak of a prospect he was/is

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
He can still become an NHL-er. The problem with him is that somebody didn't thought him the basics of hockey. It was like in juniors coaches told him: Look buddy, you're big, twice the size of those kids around you. Just rush them and bulldoze them.
When he started to play against bulldozers he became exposed.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
He was floating around last night and he did everything to get rid of the puck the few seconds he got it. He was also man handled a couple times.
The guy is allergic to shooting thf puck or going in the middle of the ice. He doesn't have a mean streak nor use his bigger body effectively to intimidate or create room or take anyone out of the play.

He does have strong board play and at least his passes are usually on the tape but aside from that and his better speed this year, there's little I find to be excited about in his game.

Cooley was my guy all the way. My buddy argues that since the Habs already have a few small speedy talented forwards that management had to add size and something different into the mix. As far as I live, I'll never understand how 7 or 8 games were enough to shoot him to #1 or why the Habs are sold on him. I don't get it at ALL... aside for the possibility they got mesmerized by the size.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The guy scored 7 goals at the Olympic games against men... at 18...

Not a guy you give up on.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He can still become an NHL-er. The problem with him is that somebody didn't thought him the basics of hockey. It was like in juniors coaches told him: Look buddy, you're big, twice the size of those kids around you. Just rush them and bulldoze them.
When he started to play against bulldozers he became exposed.
It's not reasonable to expect a 19-year-old kid to bulldoze his way through the NHL. That it will inevitably take time to get there is also not a reason to become a different type of player.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The trade to Canada broke Johnny boy. The biggest concern with him is that he has no chemistry with anyone on the team. Huska is trying to force chemistry between Huberdeau and Lindholm. You can't force chemistry between players. They either have it or they don't. Sutter tried Huberdeau with every center on the team last year and there were no sparks with any center. Changing the coach isn't going to change a single thing.

Flames should trade Lindholm and get picks and a young center to play with Huberdeau. Trade him now and not at the deadline because his value is only going to plummet more the longer he plays for the Flames.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Juraj Slafkovský is a March birthday so he's not even an older player when he was drafted (like a D Holloway). Power forwards can take some time to develop, not unlike defenders.

I'd give him another year at least.

He's not the guy I'd have taken 1st overall, but too early to call him a huge bust.

Reactions: LesCanadiens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad