Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
At his age and skillset and physique, there ordinarily shouldn't be much to be worried about with a player like Slaf. What is terrifying is that they're keeping him in the NHL. He doesn't have the time and space in the NHL to make any sort of plays, he's not really developing that side of his game.
Now that he's learned the pro game to some extent, I think it would be GREAT for him to go down to the AHL. As you said more time and space down there and he can play with more freedom. Try things, learn how to play his game. More ice time, etc etc.

Call him up once he starts figuring it out.

Reactions: majormajor

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Wow

I thought he had like 5 or 6 points so far this season for some reason

He should have had at least 3-4 (points), I'm not worried. I just want him to keep scanning the ice with his head up the rest can be figured out when you have that "information". It can be challenging to see/make the correct play when you are looking at your skates. He is doing better at scanning with his head up this year.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He should have had at least 3-4 (points), I'm not worried. I just want him to keep scanning the ice with his head up the rest can be figured out when you have that "information". It can be challenging to see/make the correct play when you are looking at your skates. He is doing better at scanning with his head up this year.

How is he just now learning about this revolutionary technique at 19 years old? Did he skip Tïmbïtš Hockey?

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
How is he just now learning about this revolutionary technique at 19 years old? Did he skip Tïmbïtš Hockey?
because everyone his age bounced off him. He is the exception. He was way bigger than everyone his age. Then he hit the NHL and there are brick walls on D who will take his head off. How many times did he almost get killed last year?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not the worst, yet. I've never really understood him. Sure, he could be special if he suddenly becomes better at hockey. Right now though, he's just a big guy with some skills and a good attitude.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
He has no other options because it's the third youngest team in the league.

He let Slaf play one game with Suzuki and Caufield to this day. And that was 2022 preseason game.

Marty waited one season to even try Slaf in 4 against 4 situation.

He still won't let him play against empty net on either side.

He won't give him prime PP time even though his current PP1 unit is terribly bad.

And this is on team with questionable depth and talent still in rebuild.
You're saying MSL is slowing down Slaf who has a still invisible elite talent but coach is against him?
The same coach who decided to give chance to Xhekaj, Harris, Guhle, Barron? Who decided that the key player is 22 yrs old CC? Who gave a chance to shine to Dach and Newhook?
Thing is, Slaf is still clearly below these other young players and it's nobody's fault but his that he is mostly invisible. He is paired with Newhook on second line. That's bad? MSL probably thinks Slaf with CC and Suzuki will have a negative impact on production of the top line. Can't blame him for thinking that. Caufiled's development is much more important for Habs future since he's vastly superior player to Slaf.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
he gets to play with untouchable super stud unicorn Josh Anderson

the points are going to pile up soon

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

All the praise about how he's so much better this season in comparison to last season is that he can do the most simple of hockey tasks now. Learning to scan and actually just simply completing passes is exactly the type of progress you want from your 1OA pick!

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Not ever, but in the modern era with consistent standards of scouting and development, probably.

All the praise about how he's so much better this season in comparison to last season is that he can do the most simple of hockey tasks now. Learning to scan and actually just simply completing passes is exactly the type of progress you want from your 1OA pick!
Absolutely spot on; his defenders are hanging onto his being able to actually keep pace with the play as being signs of potential dominance, when the other top picks are actually producing and demonstrating a potential for stardom, other than Wright, even if he has looked far better than Slaf.

Reactions: Hisch13r

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
because everyone his age bounced off him. He is the exception. He was way bigger than everyone his age. Then he hit the NHL and there are brick walls on D who will take his head off. How many times did he almost get killed last year?
Every second game until he got taken out for a full half season.

The kid has no hockey sense, and never learns.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Every second game until he got taken out for a full half season.

The kid has no hockey sense, and never learns.
When Wright wasn't the pick I would have selected Nemec. I will give Slafkovsky some time. By 150 games you usually have a general idea of what you "have".

Reactions: Devonator

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
One of the worst players I've ever seen live.

Just no sense for the game of Hockey.

Probably wouldn't do much in the Khl, shl and other Euro leagues either.

Just no IQ. Unbelievable how a player this garbage can even be a first rounder.

This player won't be in the league in 5 years. Pure trash.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Slaf tonight with a Corsi of 5-22. Shots 2-13. xG 0.16-1.07. SCF 1-11. HDCF 0-7. Team worst across the board. Outscored 2-0 with one of those being directly because of a brutal turnover he made in the DZ. Only 10 shots in 8 games with just 1 assist and 0 goals. 47% CF and 43% xGF on the season with a negative average GS. He didn't belong in the NHL last year. He doesn't belong in the NHL this year. Incredible incompetence by Hughes, Gorton, and MSL.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
That’s insane to think lol. It’s as bizarre as people thinking someone can go from a poor to exceptional skater in an offseason. By the time they make the nhl, they’ve been playing hockey for 15 years. That’s trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Keeping his head up is something 5 year olds are taught just after they learn to skate. I don’t think he’s a terrible player, but the expectation that he’s going to vastly improve from keeping his head up and scanning the ice is laughable.

Slaf tonight with a Corsi of 5-22. Shots 2-13. xG 0.16-1.07. SCF 1-11. HDCF 0-7. Team worst across the board. Outscored 2-0 with one of those being directly because of a brutal turnover he made in the DZ. Only 10 shots in 8 games with just 1 assist and 0 goals. 47% CF and 43% xGF on the season with a negative average GS. He didn't belong in the NHL last year. He doesn't belong in the NHL this year. Incredible incompetence by Hughes, Gorton, and MSL.
Damn. Actually feel bad for the kid. That’s a really tough market for someone to bear that burden of a #1 pick. Not his fault he had a weaker draft year (seemingly)

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That’s insane to think lol. It’s as bizarre as people thinking someone can go from a poor to exceptional skater in an offseason. By the time they make the nhl, they’ve been playing hockey for 15 years. That’s trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Keeping his head up is something 5 year olds are taught just after they learn to skate. I don’t think he’s a terrible player, but the expectation that he’s going to vastly improve from keeping his head up and scanning the ice is laughable.

Damn. Actually feel bad for the kid. That’s a really tough market for someone to bear that burden of a #1 pick. Not his fault he had a weaker draft year (seemingly)

People bring up the weak DY and sure while that didn’t help he still shouldn’t have been 1OA pick. I had him at 5 at best. He got pumped up because he went on a shooting bender at the Olympics and had a good WC. That along with him being beeeeeeg somehow got people to completely overlook his absolutely piss poor Liiga production for a top pick and anoint him as the top guy I mean shit Lenni Hameenaho the 58th pick from last years draft had a more productive Liiga DY season than Slaf did. He’s just not that guy.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is it allowed for the Habs to assign Slaf to the AHL? Or does he have a clause in his contract that allows him to go back to Europe if that happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad