Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You are not "most people". But kudos to you.
That doesn't mean the Habs weren't considering him. I know for a fact that at one point they were. That's all irrelevant though - the point is if they had a do over, I think they would have taken Cooley over Slafkovsky.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I do think the Habs should have taken Cooley or Nemec at 1st simply because Big men forwards take longer to develop and being in a market that wants results fast isn't conductive to that.

Slaf would have fit perfectly in NJ where they could easily let him marinate in the AHL or plugged him beside Hischier or Hughes instead of being on a line where he doesn't know where he fits in each night and who's going to be his center.

I do think he will become something great eventually, I just don't know if he will still be a Hab or want to be after the Habs market tears him a part.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
That doesn't mean the Habs weren't considering him. I know for a fact that at one point they were. That's all irrelevant though - the point is if they had a do over, I think they would have taken Cooley over Slafkovsky.

Yes, they probably would. Just like Boston would probably have taken Samsonov #1 and Thornton #8 after their first season, instead of vice versa.

I'm not saying Slafkovsky is gonna turn out the best player in his draft. Only time will tell. But to already write him off, as if he's gonna go back to Europe within five years, is very premature. Some people in this thread are acting that way.

Reactions: BLONG7 and PaulD

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Personally I think European top 10 picks should generally be in the AHL as teenagers, which they have the option to do. I still recall Mikko Rantanen paying his dues with the San Antonio Rampage and spending a year developing.
On the other hand in San Antonio Rantanen couldn't join the military and only has one more year left to do so. Not really optimal either when you're at your peak playing for a contender.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yes, they probably would. Just like Boston would probably have taken Samsonov #1 and Thornton #8 after their first season, instead of vice versa. But luckily for them they selected both players and it didn't matter.
Okay, but Slafkovsky isn't Thornton. I think that's pretty clear.

• Haha
Reactions: LesCanadiens

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I do think the Habs should have taken Cooley or Nemec at 1st simply because Big men forwards take longer to develop and being in a market that wants results fast isn't conductive to that.

Slaf would have fit perfectly in NJ where they could easily let him marinate in the AHL or plugged him beside Hischier or Hughes instead of being on a line where he doesn't know where he fits in each night and who's going to be his center.

I do think he will become something great eventually, I just don't know if he will still be a Hab or want to be after the Habs market tears him a part.
Hockey knowledgable Habs fans "tear apart" management for rushing an 18 year old.
And we didn't wait a year to do it. We said day one of last season.
Whiners "tear apart" the teen ager

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He has yet to score in the NHL, but what an incredible and way better player down the stretch,

I was skeptical of Slaf not gonna lie but in the 2nd game of the season he was so good that I saw what he can bring to a team.

He is super super raw and you can tell he lacks experience and confidence. He is still a teenager.
There's a lot to like about Slafkovsky's game. He still has top line PWF potential. But there's a lot of risk there too.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I think our 5th rounder LW prospect is a better LW prospect than Slafkovsky atm and never really penciled Slafkovsky into our future lineup including on draft day. The reasons we took him were so, so dumb that there was just no way such idiocy from our management would ever get rewarded and we're seeing it. He happened to be a left winger which was "perfect" for Caufield and Suzuki(Suzuki should never even be on the first line, why are we even taking this 2nd liner into consideration when picking 1st overall??) and he had 7 goals and 0 assists in a lucky run in a fake tournament(like he's gonna be scoring 7 goals and 0 assists every 7 games...). We didn't take him because he had a generational shot or was a playmaking wizard or a future Selke winner or skated like an F1 car or anything normal for a 1st overall, we just liked the idea of having a good left winger to pair with our 2nd line center and sorted the rankings by position and took the first left wing we found..it's not even a joke that's what actually happened.

Tage Thompson made it clear that apparently anyone can unbust at any point but there's no way to predict that so not holding my breath. At least Lafreniere was the obvious pick who dominated every league and tournament at every age point and then suddenly stopped dominating in the NHL, I don't blame the Rangers for him at all. Slafkovsky's claim to fame is one tournament where he had zero assists and wasn't even over PPG, we're expecting a consistent PPG player out of a guy who went exactly PPG in the best 7 game run of his life in a level lower than the NHL and which he will never reproduce?
There's the WC too. He was very good there and actually played against NHLers. He was the best 18yo on the tournament and led his bad team in scoring.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
On the other hand in San Antonio Rantanen couldn't join the military and only has one more year left to do so. Not really optimal either when you're at your peak playing for a contender.
Can't he do it a bit at a time?

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Really? I remember the top 2 being locks and then #3 was a question mark.
That’s irrelevant, GM’s go off the board all the time, especially ones that come from a scouting background. Specifically, if you have top 10 picks numerous times and can’t hit on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad