Is Rick Rypien, pound-for-pound, the best fighter in the NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Rypien is not going to fight the Boogaard's or the Scott's from the Wild, he's simply too small. All they would have to do is use reach and throw. I don't think it would be pretty. Both Boogaard and Scott are better fighters than Valabik.

Which is why it would be interesting if Rypien fought the "bigs". Fighters should fight anyone that come there way, not pick and choose. Homer call but even Stortini, as horrible as he is/was, fights Boogard if he's called upon. Yeah, he'll lose but its interesting to see how he fares.

Nothing against Rypien but its just something amusing to watch.

rhetoric

Jan 20, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Which is why it would be interesting if Rypien fought the "bigs". Fighters should fight anyone that come there way, not pick and choose. Homer call but even Stortini, as horrible as he is/was, fights Boogard if he's called upon. Yeah, he'll lose but its interesting to see how he fares.

There are only a few players in the NHL that Rypien would not fight. As stingo said, he would be simply too small.

Rypien (5'11" - 170lbs) has fought the following players this year:

Janssen - 5'11" - 205lbs
Gill - 6'7" - 240lbs
Stortini - 6'3" - 228lbs (x2)
Valabik - 6'7" - 245lbs
Eager - 6'2" - 227lbs
McLeod - 6'2" - 210lbs
May - 6'1" - 213lbs
Prust - 5'11" - 195lbs (x3)

This is a pretty big and mean list of fighters, and Rypien is 9-2 according to hockeyfights.com

I would not call Rypien a "picker" or "chooser"

The fact that he is even in the same conversation with the likes of Boogaard & Scott says a lot about his fighting ability.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007

He was cut in the first fight and in the second fight the cut that occured less than an hour beforehand was re-opened. The only reason he was bleeding in the second fight was because of the cut from the first

Just because someone is bleeding doesnt mean they automatically loose the fight. Rypien is 3-1 vs Prust this year, not 2-2

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Because I hate the canucks I haven't really paid much attention to Rypien, however after reading some of this thread I am beginning to hope that somehow he makes his way to the Avalanche. Would love to have him on the team.

Pascha

Feb 24, 2004
Sea to Sky country
Because I hate the canucks I haven't really paid much attention to Rypien, however after reading some of this thread I am beginning to hope that somehow he makes his way to the Avalanche. Would love to have him on the team.

The sheer thought of Ryp in a Colorado jersey makes me sick.

FruityPants3*

5' 11" 170 lbs
6' 3" 228 lbs
6' 8" 258 lbs

One of these things is not like the other. Can you spot it?

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
He was cut in the first fight and in the second fight the cut that occured less than an hour beforehand was re-opened. The only reason he was bleeding in the second fight was because of the cut from the first

Just because someone is bleeding doesnt mean they automatically loose the fight. Rypien is 3-1 vs Prust this year, not 2-2

bleeding doesn't always mean something, especially when a guy like rypien fights. He has a lot of scar tissue on his brows/eye lids. chances are when he fights and gets hit in those area's, old cuts will re-open and bleed

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
5' 11" 170 lbs
6' 3" 228 lbs
6' 8" 258 lbs

One of these things is not like the other. Can you spot it?

Yeah posters making excuses why Rypien won't fight true heavyweights! How tall was Tie Domi? He fought anyone and everyone no matter how tall or heavy they were!

FruityPants3*

Yeah posters making excuses why Rypien won't fight true heavyweights! How tall was Tie Domi? He fought anyone and everyone no matter how tall or heavy they were!

Domi had over 40 pounds on Rypien and was never outweighed by more than 30 pounds. He only gave up about 10 pounds to Bob Probert and 30 to Laraque. Who did Domi fight that was 6'8" and over 250 lbs? The league has changed.

If Domi and Rypien were the same size, your point would be relevant.

shibster

Dec 5, 2005
Had a good scrap with Neil tonight, I'd probably call it a draw. Was really weird watching Neil fight someone smaller than him, doesn't happen very often.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Gotta give that one to Neil. Rypien had a good start, but then Neil showed his experience and strength advantage.

At least it was close, unlike the Glass-Carkner fight. Yikes.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I think Neil won. That was the first fight in awhile where Rypien's lack of strength came through,Neil was really in control of him physically.

shibster

Dec 5, 2005
Gotta give that one to Neil. Rypien had a good start, but then Neil showed his experience and strength advantage.

At least it was close, unlike the Glass-Carkner fight. Yikes.

Yeah, that one started ugly and ended ugly.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Definite win for Neil. He was having his way at the end. Looks like he caught Rypien with a good one and then took over.

The Carkner-Glass fight was quite the beatdown

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
started even, but neil took over for the second half, once the helmets came off.

still doesnt settle the debate, as neil didnt win by 'enough' compared to his size advantage. (5'11 170 vs 6'1 215 :amazed:)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I have to give that to Neil as well, and I'm a huge Rypien fan. Although it was close to start with, maybe even an edge to Rypien in the beginning, Neil controlled the end of the fight. A good showing by Rypien against a very good fighter in Neil, but give Neil the edge.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I thought it was close, but might have to give it to Neil. Rypien was winning at the start IMO, but Neil definitely came back through the rest of the fight.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Pretty good fight with the edge going to Neil. Rypien is known for his speed more than his power and Neil has one of the best chins in the league so once he took the early Rypien flurry he was able to land some punches of his own and take control of the fight

Win or loose its always a good fight when Rypien is involved, and the same can be said about Neil even though I hate Neil

Stassino

Oct 15, 2007
Ottawa, On
I'm counting about the same number of punches landed for each. I'd call it a draw.

No offense but you've probably never been in a real fight in yoru life, or you'd know Rypien was manhandled .. PUnches thrown don't mean much.. Damage and assertion are what makes up for a win.. Rypien was terrified when Neil took his helmet off..

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
I'm counting about the same number of punches landed for each. I'd call it a draw.

:facepalm:

clear win for neil. the difference is that neil's punches were hurting rypien, while rypien's punches were weak. you can tell the moment when neil realizes rypien can't hurt him, and then he dominates the fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad