Is Rick Rypien, pound-for-pound, the best fighter in the NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shaka

Aug 13, 2006
:facepalm:

clear win for neil. the difference is that neil's punches were hurting rypien, while rypien's punches were weak. you can tell the moment when neil realizes rypien can't hurt him, and then he dominates the fight.

Stassino said:
No offense but you've probably never been in a real fight in yoru life, or you'd know Rypien was manhandled .. PUnches thrown don't mean much.. Damage and assertion are what makes up for a win.. Rypien was terrified when Neil took his helmet off..

I'm glad you guys could determine the pain and terror felt by Rypien during a 58 second Youtube clip.

Even fight. Rypien at the beginning, Neil in the end.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I thought it was a Neil win. Rypien had Neil tied up early and threw a couple good ones. If solid punches were all that counted though, by the end Neil had this one. To legitimize my lack of bias, Carkner absolutely handled Glass. lol

Neils kinda underrated by some for his fighting, although those same people are aware Neil can fight. Its good that Neil's able to worry about hockey more now with Carks, Neil admitted it was tough to play hockey last year when he couldnt feel his hands half the time.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
thats because he was fighting at the end of a shift, I think Neil was to

It may be, but if you look at the fight, Neil caught Rypien with a good one and then seemed to take over. It looked like that punch may have hurt Rypien.

I do love how Canuck fans can't accept that he lost a fight. It is no big deal. Every fighter loses. And he's still widely regarded as the toughest p4p fighter, so rest easy.

It was clearly a Neil win and as a Toronto fan, I would love to have seen Rypien feed him, but it just didn't happen. Maybe next time.

FruityPants3*

Looked like both were tired from the end of long shifts. I'd give the slight edge to Neil, which says a hell of a lot for Rypien given he was giving up 40 pounds to an experienced scrapper.

Diagonaali

Jan 8, 2009
Finland
There should not be much discussion about the Neil fight. Once Neil started hitting, Rypien started hugging. When Rypien was hitting Neil was just looking for a stance to start hitting that midget.

As good as Rypien is, his latest fight pretty much showed the matter of size in this sport.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Looked like both were tired from the end of long shifts. I'd give the slight edge to Neil, which says a hell of a lot for Rypien given he was giving up 40 pounds to an experienced scrapper.

How much does Neil weigh?? I thought their size was fairly even, I guess I was wrong...

Still though, that fight was a win for Neil.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Neil with the win.

Rypien held his own for a bit though, but Neil was too much for him.

FruityPants3*

How much does Neil weigh?? I thought their size was fairly even, I guess I was wrong...

Still though, that fight was a win for Neil.

NHL.com lists Neil at 6'1" and 212 lbs and Rypien at 5'11" 190. For some reason I was thinking Rypien was in the 170s :help:.

Flapjack*

Who would guess that weight was relevant to a discussion about P4P? Not trolls, apparently.

The fact thats it a built in excuse to anybody proclaiming Rypien some great hockey fighter when everybody in the league, including obviously, Patrick Kane, out weighs him, is.

The next time Rypien gets beaten down, like he did against Neil, Prust, Eager, etc, Rypien fans are quick to tell anybody who will listen how whomever his tormentor that game was, had 50 pounds on him. It makes Rypien more of a novelty than an actual, feared fighter.

Does he have guts, or is he stupid? He obviously wont fight true heavys like Laraque, Boogy, so theres no possible way he is in any contentionm for the invisible"p4p" tiara.

P4P means you fight everybody, not pick your spots.

Mirepoix

Oct 12, 2006
Does he have guts, or is he stupid? He obviously wont fight true heavys like Laraque, Boogy, so theres no possible way he is in any contentionm for the invisible"p4p" tiara.

I don't think you understand what "pound for pound" means.

Lundface*

The fact thats it a built in excuse to anybody proclaiming Rypien some great hockey fighter when everybody in the league, including obviously, Patrick Kane, out weighs him, is.

The next time Rypien gets beaten down, like he did against Neil, Prust, Eager, etc, Rypien fans are quick to tell anybody who will listen how whomever his tormentor that game was, had 50 pounds on him. It makes Rypien more of a novelty than an actual, feared fighter.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Boy you are something else.

So I guess when people claim Mayweather as P4P the best fighter, he really isn't because he hasn't taken on Vlad Klitschko. And GSP is a bum because he is too scared to fight Lesnar and would get killed by him.

I think you need to learn what the term Pound for Pound means.

Flapjack*

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Boy you are something else.

So I guess when people claim Mayweather as P4P the best fighter, he really isn't because he hasn't taken on Vlad Klitschko. And GSP is a bum because he is too scared to fight Lesnar and would get killed by him.

I think you need to learn what the term Pound for Pound means.

Well, for starters, there are no "weight classes" in hockey. So right there, anybody trying to proclaim Rypien p4p is fail. I have never seen a hockey fight stopped because say, Adam Burish dropped the gloves with Boogy, which he did.

If you can show me factual proof that there are weight classes in the NHL that are similar to professional boxing or MMA, then you might have something to clutch onto. You cant, but searching for it might help you find some sort of reality to hockey fights in general. Prove that there are weigh ins comparable to organized fighting where somebody is actually bound to fight somebody of similar weight. You cant.

Which puts it back at square one. P4P best is the person who goes after anybody, and doesnt use weight as an excuse once he gets beaten by somebody bigger. Trying to compare hockey fights to professional fighting is fail all in itself. Two different things considering MMA/ Boxers are trained fighters, while hockey players play hockey first and foremost, and unless they bleed goon such as the Mike Peluso's/ Basil Mcraes, figting is a secondary talent to keep them up in the NHL, and not toiling in some semi pro league with has beens like Link or Tony Twist.

If you want to call it fair, then fight everybody. And if thats the case, Rypien is nowhere near P4P best.

Mirepoix

Oct 12, 2006
Well, for starters, there are no "weight classes" in hockey. So right there, anybody trying to proclaim Rypien p4p is fail.

[...]

P4P best is the person who goes after anybody, and doesnt use weight as an excuse once he gets beaten by somebody bigger.

[...]

If you want to call it fair, then fight everybody. And if thats the case, Rypien is nowhere near P4P best.

Before you start setting up straw mans and telling others to find evidence--that you brilliantly pointed out is non-existent--for things that don't matter in this discussion, you really should make sure you understand what p4p means.

Flapjack*

Before you start setting up straw mans and telling others to find evidence--that you brilliantly pointed out is non-existent--for things that don't matter in this discussion, you really should make sure you understand what p4p means.

Actually I do.

Until you can post proof it exists in the NHL...........fail.

Mirepoix

Oct 12, 2006
Good on you. You can set up an arbitrary piece of evidence that everybody knows doesn't exist and say that because nobody can show you that it does, you win the argument. You're a master debater.

Sure, I'll give you that one. Weight classes don't exist in hockey. Hockey isn't a combat sport, but it doesn't matter. Weight classes have nothing to do with "pound for pound" rankings. Weight is important; weight class is not.

Saying that Rypien is the best pound for pound fighter in the NHL doesn't mean that he can beat Boogaard in a fight. Boogaard has nine inches and nearly ninety pounds on him; Rypien would be beaten so badly he'd be picking his teeth out of his **** the next day. That's not an excuse; that's common sense. What it does mean is that if Rick Rypien were the same size as Derek Boogaard or Derek Boogaard were the same size as Rick Rypien, Rypien would have a good chance to win that fight. With all physical aspects being equal, Rick Rypien might very well win because of his technical and mental ability. He fights like a boxer.

Pound for pound is a measure of relative ability. In that sense, you're right: It's an "invisible tiara" and it's nothing that can be proven with stats. What you're not right about is thinking of pound for pound as an absolute quality and that Rypien not fighting the known heavies somehow makes him a less capable fighter.

But it's clear that there's no changing your mind on this so I'll just step away now. I guess I am fail. Way to go, champ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad