Is Quinn Hughes overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
They will regret 8x$8m. Im guessing he signs a short term bridge deal for covid reasons until the cap comes up. Same with Pettersson.

Or start playing well defensively. Or at least average. No one is tearing into Carlson or Josi for their defense. If you want Hughes to be in same breath as them, he needs to be better on that end of the ice.

Is everything ok? You seem a little obsessed with Hughes. You have 18 posts in this thread. Might be time to go for a walk and clear your mind of this horrible player.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
zs6ud41sn7e61.jpg
Makar is at 83 points in 93 games played. Do they only show up on the chart after they reach 100 gp?

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
Criticism is unfair considering his age. Expectations are skewed because of the influx of amazing young defensemen. Considering the hockey IQ I believe his defensive game will develop fine.

I will not comment further since I have not seen him since the playoffs. Defensive performance is often subject to narratives instead of actual play so I will just have to see for myself eventually.

Last edited:

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
No different tonight so far. Unnecessary, badly executed pinch leading to him being the last guy back on a fast break.

In some sports they would call this going "on tilt". He's rattled and has no confidence in his natural instincts so he's frequently making the wrong decisions. We saw what he's capable of last season so I'm not too worried about him long term. It could be a rough sophomore season for him though.

Reactions: Dominance

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
For years Edmonton was in cap hell because of an incompetent GM who ruined the careers of McDavid and Drai by signing terrible contracts, losing every trade and signing terrible contracts. We are witnessing something similar happening in Vancouver with Benning. This team is in HUGE cap trouble.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
-3 tonight 0 points..
Even if he got another 3 points on the powerplay the minus 3 is downright awful. Even if he scores 100 points one year there is no way he should get any Norris votes if he continues to play defense like this. Please show us another dman in the entire league that plays close to 20 minutes a game that plays worse in his own end without the puck.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
He still looks like a special player to me, just on a bad team. Losing Tanev and Markstrom has had a huge effect.
Special players make their teams better and others around them better, they don’t need others to make them better.

Reactions: Makar27

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Even if he got another 3 points on the powerplay the minus 3 is downright awful. Even if he scores 100 points one year there is no way he should get any Norris votes if he continues to play defense like this. Please show us another dman in the entire league that plays close to 20 minutes a game that plays worse in his own end without the puck.

What about 150? There's a reason he gets so many points, it's not just luck. He's still a dominant player on the ice and controls, breaks out of the zone. He's flawed as a 21 yo, it doesn't make him overrated because everyone's already taking that into account.

Vancouver's problems defensively right now fall as much on the forwards as the defensemen IMO.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Damn. People really want to pile on Hughes, huh. It's his second full year and he's leading all defenseman in points. He's struggling defensively but if you've watched the Canucks play this year you'd know it's not just Hughes. The team is an absolute tire fire defensively - both the defensemen and forwards. Put Hughes on a team like the Avs or Tampa and his plus-minus isn't what it is right now.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad