Is Provorov top 10 all around d man yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Matter of opinion, but I would disagree.

Well Faulk sucks now so that is not debateable but the other 4 it is close. Provorov gets the toughest minutes out of them, holds it down defensively and has the most even strength goals in the league amongst dmen this season. I dont know what else people want him to do. Maybe play on a different team that neutral fans are more comfortable giving praise to?

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Sigh. Why not listen to Flyers fans who watch the games?

You are right though....your numbers are wrong.

What they don't show is:

Filppula scored all 3 of his PP goals while in the 1st unit in October before Couturier took over in early November.

Conversely, Couts started on the 2nd unit and had 1 PPG in that unit in the first month of the season.

Provorov has 2 PPG....all while on the 1st unit when Ghost was out hurt.

Patrick has 3 PPG....all while on the 1st unit when Simmonds was hurt.

So now you are left with 5 PPG from the #2 unit all year. And honestly, ?I believe one of Weals was when he had come on early and was with the 1st unit.

Regardless, in order for Provy to be on the 1st unit, it means moving Voracek either off the PP to the 2nd unit, or into the slot and removing Couturier.

Neither is likely to happen.

And as you have seen, more people would like to see Provy off the PP all together and have Sanheim take over, than have him on the top unit. And as I said, not being on that top unit will always keep his points lower.

But that's ok, as maybe it also keeps his cap hit lower. We know his value even with roughly 10 less PP points a year.

I have Ivan on my fantasy keeper team and I'll come back with precise numbers to make a case for my boy provorov to find more pp time.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
The OP said “all around D” so I assumed he thinks Provo is better than Ghost defensively?

I don’t see enough Flyers games to say if that’s true or not.

In my opinion 9 is better than Ghost defensively and by no means is this a knock on Ghost. Ivan is like a machine on the ice who plays the game the right way. He is getting respect around the league for his honest play. No cheap shots, no dirty plays. He is an untouchable and that sums it up.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well Faulk sucks now so that is not debateable but the other 4 it is close. Provorov gets the toughest minutes out of them, holds it down defensively and has the most even strength goals in the league amongs dmen this season. I dont know what else people want him to do. Maybe play on a different team that neutral fans are more comfortable giving praise to?

Like him, he’s on my SIM league team. Just don’t think he’s Top 20 yet. Faulk plays on a bad CAR team, so hard to judge (that reminds me, Slavin is right there with Provo too, lol).

I don’t think you have seen enough of McAvoy? Kid is a f***ing stud. Plays more minutes than any other rookie D, year younger than Provo, plays top pair with Chara against every team’s best.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Like him, he’s on my SIM league team. Just don’t think he’s Top 20 yet. Faulk plays on a bad CAR team, so hard to judge (that reminds me, Slavin is right there with Provo too, lol).

I don’t think you have seen enough of McAvoy? Kid is a ****ing stud. Plays more minutes than any other rookie D, year younger than Provo, plays top pair with Chara against every team’s best.

Slavin should be in convo. He is better defensively at this point but Provorov is already more advanced offensively and his D game continues to improve.

McAvoy is gonna be a stud too. Anyone in top 20 is a stud. Lets be honest. Its splitting hairs.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Slavin should be in convo. He is better defensively at this point but Provorov is already more advanced offensively and his D game continues to improve.

McAvoy is gonna be a stud too. Anyone in top 20 is a stud. Lets be honest. Its splitting hairs.

It is splitting hairs.

I just don’t think Provo is quite there yet. Like I said earlier, in the next few years, he’s going to leapfrog a bunch of the older guys I had ahead of him (McAvoy too).

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It is splitting hairs.

I just don’t think Provo is quite there yet. Like I said earlier, in the next few years, he’s going to leapfrog a bunch of the older guys I had ahead of him (McAvoy too).

Yeah I even said hes not quite top 10 all-around yet but hes getting close and hes only 21 years old and has the attitude, skill, and conditioning it takes. His interviews are hilarious. He sounds like a cyborg designed to only play hockey.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
In no particular order:

Pietrangelo
Josi
Doughty
Karlsson
Carlson
Jones
Suter
Risto
OEL
Ekblad
Werenski
Parayko
Ekholm

Subban
Burns
Fowler
McAvoy
Faulk

Klingberg
Hedman

All guys I would take over Provo (right now), but he will eclipse a lot of them in the next 2-3 years.

You're out to lunch if you take any of those bolded over Provorov. Massively underrating him or overrating those guys.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You're out to lunch if you take any of those bolded over Provorov. Massively underrating him or overrating those guys.

Probably because I see him every game, but I absolutely take McAvoy over Provo seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

Same for Fowler, Risto, and Carlson. I also forgot about Hampus Lindholm. He’s another possibility.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don’t see him as much as I would like. How often do you watch McAvoy?
I honestly don't have an issue with someone thinking McAvoy could be better.

I do have an issue saying Risto is better.

And again, I believe the top 10 is hard to crack and guys need to prove it more than 1 season. But in the next tier, Provy is right there.

Hell, Provy is known for his defense, yet is 13th in ES scoring since entering the league. He drug around AMac for 1.5 years going up against top lines.

What more could he honestly do.

Last edited:

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
In no particular order:

Pietrangelo
Josi
Doughty
Karlsson
Carlson
Jones
Suter
Risto
OEL
Ekblad
Werenski
Parayko
Ekholm

Subban
Burns
Fowler
McAvoy
Faulk
Klingberg

Hedman

All guys I would take over Provo (right now), but he will eclipse a lot of them in the next 2-3 years.
Nope.

McAvoy maybe in the future but I think Provorov has a bit higher upside and is definitely currently better.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

I don’t think you have seen enough of McAvoy? Kid is a ****ing stud. Plays more minutes than any other rookie D, year younger than Provo, plays top pair with Chara against every team’s best.
Slavin lacks the offense to be In 2-way talks

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Provy is the closest thing I’ve seen on my hockey team to a sure-fire number 1 that can log the heavy minutes and be the guy on the backend since I’ve been watching the Flyers. I’m 29 so I think I started watching around 6-7 years old, I use to love Eric D but seriously this guy is an absolute stud. He’s 21 years old and logging massive minutes already. The closest thing I can describe him to is a robot, he moves robotically. It’s crazy.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Nope.

McAvoy maybe in the future but I think Provorov has a bit higher upside and is definitely currently better.

I think differently.

McAvoy is a rookie, a year younger, is averaging more ppg, and plays top pair against the other team’s best, every game.

I wouldn’t say Provo is “definitely currently better”.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think differently.

McAvoy is a rookie, a year younger, is averaging more ppg, and plays top pair against the other team’s best, every game.

I wouldn’t say Provo is “definitely currently better”.
He also plays with a former Norris winner and a former Vezina winner all while having the top defensive player in the game at C. I wonder if that helps him.

But I agree, they are close. Provy just has to shoulder more of the load than guys like McAvoy or Werenski.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
He also plays with a former Norris winner and a former Vezina winner all while having the top defensive player in the game at C. I wonder if that helps him.

But I agree, they are close. Provy just has to shoulder more of the load than guys like McAvoy or Werenski.

McAvoy and Werenski are definite future elite D-men no question. But if either replaced Provorov on the role Provy has to be in we’d be f***ed. So I agree wholeheartedly and that’s not taking anything away from those guys at all.

Reactions: Tripod

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Key word being former.

Chara is still good defensively, but not what he once was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad