Is Patrik Elias worthy to get to HHOF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
He'll probably get in simply because he's extremely well liked. His numbers are plenty good enough to get in regardless.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Tampere
I didnt want this to turn Elias vs Sundin debate :laugh: I think they're both worthy. I think another factor to consider is the amount of influence of their respectable countries in hockey. Though I can see Elias is not in the level of Jagr in influence, I think he was a true gentlemen and respected as f*** everywhere.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Although I am biased, I think he squeezes in barely. He is right on that borderline of being a HOF'er. The only thing really missing is personal hardware.

Had he played on a team that focused more on the offensive side of the game and given free hands to operate, he would likely be a career PPG player (or very close, at least).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The HHOF's standards are so inconsistent that maybe he could get in. If Mark Recchi can get in then why not Elias? Personally I think the bar should be a lot higher than it is. Tons of undeserving players in there already.

Have to agree

wont say who--but there are a few guys that got in over the past years that lowered the bar to get in

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
He's currently the 8th highest scoring player drafted in the 1990's. Only 3 players can pass him; the Sedin's will and Zetterberg might be able to do it. The HHOF induct roughly 1.5 forwards per year. Add in the team success and he should have a pretty good chance.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
he deserves to get in...one team whole career and without looking probably missed the playoffs 2-3 times in career, 1k points, great winning %, best F for a franchise should push him over the top imo

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Should be a lock. Certain guys - Recchi, Ciccarelli - had better peaks but spent most of their careers being lesser players than Elias at everything.

One of the most consistent and safest players of his generation. Apart from Datsyuk and Hossa, you cannot name other players of his era who produced that regularly without being a liability. His numbers are depressed by being in NJ, while still being their best and most clutch forward in history.

He doesn't have that much personal hardware because, apart from Marty, no one else from NJ really does, which is what happens when you round out your overall game for team success.

Easily one of the most under-appreciated players in NHL history. Had he played for a Canadian franchise or a big market. we'd never hear the end of it.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't know, what are his Hall of Fame seasons? The seasons when he was the best player in the world or somewhere around it? I'm not a fan of Hall of Long Careers.

Toews hasn't made it yet and he's still got a long ways to go.
Ah, don't kid yourself, they will probably vote Toews in the HHOF when he's still active.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
i don't know, what are his hall of fame seasons? The seasons when he was the best player in the world or somewhere around it? I'm not a fan of hall of long careers.

Ah, don't kid yourself, they will probably vote toews in the hhof when he's still active.

2001, 2004, 2006. 2012 wasn't "best player in the world" territory but he was certainly top 3-5 at his position.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
In today's NHL yes. 1000 points and Stanley cups is an eventual hof IMO.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I don't know, what are his Hall of Fame seasons? The seasons when he was the best player in the world or somewhere around it? I'm not a fan of Hall of Long Careers.

I'd give him 2000-01 where he was a first-team all-star. I'll even be generous and give him 2003-04, where his all-star votes were spread across three positions. Even compiling all of the votes cast for him wouldn't put him above Kovalchuk during that season.

No personal awards, a few appearances in the top 10 for scoring but no real dominant stretch. Hall Of Very Good to me, but based on how the classes have been lately, maybe he gets in a few years from now.

Ah, don't kid yourself, they will probably vote Toews in the HHOF when he's still active.
That plaque is already made and has been sitting in storage, waiting for it's day to shine. :D

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The only reason he isn't a stone cold lock is a combination of hepatitis (which prevented him from cashing in on inflated 05-06 production) and a DPE peak. Change either and this isn't a question.

As it stands, 1k points x Cups x being the best offensive player on one of his era's defining teams should get him there.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Have to agree

wont say who--but there are a few guys that got in over the past years that lowered the bar to get in

The HOF has been putting in marginal players for years. It hardly started recently. Look at the stats of guys from the 50's or 60's or 70's. A lot of players were inducted due to playing on championship teams

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
No. Not even close to a HOF caliber player, he's in the Hall of Very Good and had s great career, Devils legend but he's no where near a HOFer.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
How do his numbers stack against his era? They're low compared to HOFers, but I think we're going to have to readjust our conceptions of great scoring totals. If he's in the top ten scorers for the oughts, won 2 Cups, and holds most Devils scoring records, then he probably can get in during a slower year.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
How do his numbers stack against his era? They're low compared to HOFers, but I think we're going to have to readjust our conceptions of great scoring totals. If he's in the top ten scorers for the oughts, won 2 Cups, and holds most Devils scoring records, then he probably can get in during a slower year.

Not that great using 1995-2012 which covers his most productive seasons he comes in 15th in points. He was behind Jagr, Selanne, Alfredsson, Thorton, Iginla, Sakic, Recchi, Sundin, Lidstrom, Kariya, Modano, Whitney, Hossa, Kovalev.

Interestingly he goes to 9 if you use his entire career, guess those extra years helped him pass a few retired players. He's not bad by any stretch but is that HoF worthy? For comparison using the same calculation of time spent in the league, Sundin who many had issue with is 4th.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad