Is Nikita Kucherov a Generational Talent? (Based on his NHL Career)

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Three generational players in the NHL currently, Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid. Any one else in the discussion is just really really good. That's fine, believe it or not it's actually awesome to be really really good. You don't have to be a generational talent

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
He wasn't a generational talent in the draft (Even though he scored 3 points per game at U18), but I think in regards to how good he has been NHL, I'd say he has basically been a generational talent.

Kucherov since 2017-18: 144G 259A 403P 290GP. 3 All Star Teams, 2 Stanley Cups, 1 MVP.

In this regard, would you say Nikita Kucherov has been a generational talent?
Let's Discuss.
Superstar yes. Generational? No.

Generational talents are guys like Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Linden, Hasek, Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid. A few guys from those cup winning Islanders teams from the 80's and Habs teams from the 70's will also be included.

The term 'generational' gets thrown around way too much but the fact of the matter is that only a select few are worthy of being considered "generational." A generational talent is someone that defines a generation or an era.

I don't even consider guys like Mark Messier and Jarmoir Jagr to be generational.

Cape

Dec 31, 2019
Finland
No.

There are three generational talents in the NHL:

Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid.

That's it. That's the whole list.
Malkin is generational if Ovi is.

He has in a week 1000 games played with 1165 points in those (somewhere there). So that’s 1.165 points per game. 82 games*1,165= averaging 95,5 points per season in a 82 game season. Ovis pace is 90 points in a 82 game season with over 1000 games played.

These guys did it when it was a lot harder to score than in todays Nhl. Benn won the Art Ros with what 90 points a few years back?

There is one active player today who has better ppg-stats than Malkin with over 1000 games played. Sid.

Ovi is a generational goall scorer. Malkin is the better overal player. Yes Ovi was very dominant the first years in the NHl. He also scored what back to back 65-70 point seasons close to his prime. Ovi has the rockets. Yes, he is the better goal scorer by a mile. He has the Harts. Yes he does. Malkin was runner up in two of those and has a Hart also. They are woting results and the difference between the first and the second place isnt that big.

Now when i write this i realise that Crosby and McDavid are the only generational and Malkin and Ovi notch below. Then comes Kane etc.

Kucherov doesnt have the longevity yet. Its a bit different to play as a 25-28 year old. The generational and who are close to that produce also when they’re close to 35 and older.

Reactions: KareemTrustfund

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Kucherov is not a generational talent but he will probably be a first ballot hall of famer

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think part of being a generational talent is hype. You know the type of players where you start hearing about them when they are 14. So, on-ice performance in the NHL is only one factor

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I do think it is closer than most people think.

But, currently no.

The All-Star Tampa cast probably lessens his pure talent for many people.

For me, I DESPERATELY wanted Minnesota to do what it would have taken to move up a few spots and draft him in 2011. I remember seeing his highlights and no one was talking about him.

If he continues at above a PPG pace until his late 30's, he may be in the generational conversation. The guy is insane to watch, his IQ is next level- top 5 in the league. Can do it all, skate, pass, snipe, etc.

People don't see him enough being down here in Florida.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Unless you can set up objective criteria, the characterization is subjective and thus utterly meaningless.

The baseline entry point for consideration should be the Conn Smythe. If you didn't win the Conn Smythe at least once, thanks for playing but you're not amongst the greatest.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Next to Gretzky he is probably the best goal scorer in league history, scoring 60+ goals in 5 of his 10 seasons.

While I can understand the argument against him because we usually associate generational talents as the best player in the league overall, as you mention, I have him there specifically because he was a generational goal scorer.

But just to clarify some numbers that you seem to not be aware of:
- Bossy's career GPG was 0.76 compared to Mario's 0.75 and Gretzky's 0.60 - Mario is the fairer comparison as both he and Bossy had shortened careers leading to a higher GPG. (Jagr is at 0.54, and that's cherry picking using only his Pittsburgh seasons, he dropped off significantly after that)
- Bossy wasn't just a goal scoring machine, he averaged 1.49 PPG. By comparison, Jagr - who rode shotgun to #66 for of his best years - had 1.33 PPG, again, only counting his prime Pittsburgh seasons (11 in total).

So saying he was third wheel in the Island is laughable, and not above Jagr? The numbers strongly suggest otherwise. Generational? I guess that's just a personal choice.

Oh I see, another Bossy GPG worshipper. 1) Bossys GPG is so high because he only played his prime years, all on a dynasty in the highest scoring era in history. His GPG and PPG don't mean anything. 2) generational goal scorers have more than 2 rockets and don't get torn a new hole in their own era. 3) check league GPG during Bossys prime and Jagr's prime. Absolutely ridiculous to make a PPG comparison without adjusting for league scoring. Jagr won 5 rosses (6 excluding Gretzky/Lemieux). Bossy won zero (1 excluding Gretzky/Lemieux). Jagr was a 6x hart finalist (7x excluding 99/66). Bossy was a 1x hart finalist (2x excluding 99/66). They are not close as players. I've honestly never seen anyone rank Bossy ahead of Jagr. Go make a poll and see what happens.

Majority who watched the NYI dynasty agree that Bossy was clearly behind Potvin and Trottier. There's actually a poll on the history board right now with the same consensus. If the 3rd wheel on the dynasty is generational then what about the 2 guys better than him?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I do think it is closer than most people think.

But, currently no.

The All-Star Tampa cast probably lessens his pure talent for many people.

For me, I DESPERATELY wanted Minnesota to do what it would have taken to move up a few spots and draft him in 2011. I remember seeing his highlights and no one was talking about him.

If he continues at above a PPG pace until his late 30's, he may be in the generational conversation. The guy is insane to watch, his IQ is next level- top 5 in the league. Can do it all, skate, pass, snipe, etc.

People don't see him enough being down here in Florida.
To me this is weird because I don't think of the term generational as something you become after enough time. Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid were thought of as it from day one. I mean I'm biased as heck being a Lightning fan and I can't go there with Kucherov. He's not going to be the first name people of the future mention when talking about hockey in this era.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
That's crazy talk.

McLean had a very nice stretch of exceptional play, but he wasn't generational.

I get it - you're a Canucks fan - but we need to be rational, objective, and unbiased in these assessments.

McLean was every bit as dominant as at least one of the undisputedly übergenerational names you dropped. So if we gotta be what you say we gotta be, get him in there too.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Fell free to disagree but to me generational talent mean the very best undisputed player for a five year+ span.

Or

Undisputed top 3 for a 10 year length.

To me, if you have to ask the question then most likely the answer is no.
Currently playing I only see sid ovi mcd as sure bet

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Superstar yes. Generational? No.

Generational talents are guys like Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Linden, Hasek, Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid. A few guys from those cup winning Islanders teams from the 80's and Habs teams from the 70's will also be included.

The term 'generational' gets thrown around way too much but the fact of the matter is that only a select few are worthy of being considered "generational." A generational talent is someone that defines a generation or an era.

I don't even consider guys like Mark Messier and Jarmoir Jagr to be generational.
Linden ? Say what ?

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Did you watch the 1994 playoffs?
Yes I did, I've been watching hockey since about 1980, and hardcore since 86. I can only assume you're just trolling. If you are not, then where is King Richard ? One good playoff run doesn't make someone generational. Jagr isn't but Linden is ? You have to be joking.

JFedol

May 25, 2023
Calgary, Alberta
YES, 100% YES.

Tampa snatching a generational talent in the 2nd round may be the all time greatest draft steal in history. The Russian factor was BIG here but still..............

He's the first to record 100 assists as a winger, back to back 30pt playoff runs, the greatest playmaking winger ever IMO. A monster playoff performer and 21st all time in Playoff Points.

He's only chasing Jagr, Ovi, Hull and Howe with the beginning of his 30s happening in his career.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
YES, 100% YES.

Tampa snatching a generational talent in the 2nd round may be the all time greatest draft steal in history. The Russian factor was BIG here but still..............

He's the first to record 100 assists as a winger, back to back 30pt playoff runs, the greatest playmaking winger ever IMO. A monster playoff performer and 21st all time in Playoff Points.

He's only chasing Jagr, Ovi, Hull and Howe with the beginning of his 30s happening in his career.

Depends how you define generational. I personally don't give that one out easily and consider Crosby kind of a borderline generational player. I think it should be reserved for the 6 or 7 players in history who looked like they belonged In a whole different league.

Kucherov is the best forward I've ever watched game by game, and I grew up a red wings fan. I put him above Yzerman, and with everyone else it's not even particularly close.

If he keeps up this level of play for a few more years I think we will argue about who was better between him and jagr. Not saying he's there yet, but I do think that's the tier, and his game is so cerebral he likely can keep this up into his mid 30s. He's still improving.

Reactions: JFedol

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
flag-football.gif

Unnecessary bumping on the field.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad