Is Nikita Kucherov a Generational Talent? (Based on his NHL Career)

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Maybe I shouldn't have phrased it as generational talent.

What I meant to say is that it seems Kucherov is the closest thing to McDavid's Ovechkin.

I think the better response is that no one besides McDavid compares to the quality of Ovechkin 2007-2010.

Crosby and Ovechkin debuting in the same rookie year does not have a historical comparable.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
IMO a generational talent is a guy who has it from day 1. These guys should be competing for league awards as rookies or sophomores at the latest. Guys Like Ovi, Sid, and McDavid were among the best in the league as rookies. McDavid's production as a rookie doesn't look quite as good as those two but you could see he had it and it wasn't surprising that he blew the doors off the next year.

There are other players who will become as good as these types of guys later in their careers, and maybe even challenge them as best in the league over a short stretch, but I don't give them the generational label.

Reactions: Hoek

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Pretty sure Kucherov has the highest point per game stats since 2015-2016 behind only McDavid
I don't think that being 2nd in points/gp for a ~7 year stretch (where you don't even play close to all the games) classifies someone as generational.

Kucherov is in the clear next tier of players with Kane, Malkin, and soon to be Draisaitl, Matthews etc.

7 year period post-lockoutPoint/gpGoal/gp
Kucherov2nd To McDavid5th
Kane2nd To McDavid8th
Malkin2nd to Crosby3rd

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well, he's only half-way through his career, maybe. Which is to say, if he plays 10 more years and keeps this kind of production up, especially his impressive playoff production, more than doubles all his current career accomplishments to date...

He's still going to represent a "generational" Cap circumvention case anyhow, right? :dunno:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I wouldn't say clearly but you can argue he's second best.

All three of Kucherov, Draisailt, and Matthews can be argued for second best forward in past 5 years. Either all three are generational or none are.

There are not four generational forwards in their prime in the NHL right now.
None are, generational talent means the best out of his generation. McDavid occupies this spot alone so far. Makar might be closer then the other 3 forwards tbh.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
IMO a generational talent is a guy who has it from day 1. These guys should be competing for league awards as rookies or sophomores at the latest. Guys Like Ovi, Sid, and McDavid were among the best in the league as rookies. McDavid's production as a rookie doesn't look quite as good as those two but you could see he had it and it wasn't surprising that he blew the doors off the next year.

There are other players who will become as good as these types of guys later in their careers, and maybe even challenge them as best in the league over a short stretch, but I don't give them the generational label.
I think it helped Crosby and Ovechkin that the league was in transition when they entered the league. Going from strong players with a lot of hooking/interference to a lot more speed and skill. But yeah, 48 pts in 45 games is very very good for a first year anyway!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Pretty sure Kucherov has the highest point per game stats since 2015-2016 behind only McDavid
He is barely ahead of Draisaitl, 1.1443 to 1.136 and he has played 80-90 games less than most others on the list so it is hard to make a fulsome comparison. In actual total points during that time period he is 15th.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He wasn't a generational talent in the draft (Even though he scored 3 points per game at U18), but I think in regards to how good he has been NHL, I'd say he has basically been a generational talent.

Kucherov since 2017-18: 144G 259A 403P 290GP. 3 All Star Teams, 2 Stanley Cups, 1 MVP.

In this regard, would you say Nikita Kucherov has been a generational talent?
Let's Discuss.
I really truly believe people do not understand the definition of generational talent?!

we have 2 guys in the league that can lay claim to generation talent--both guys hit the league and the rest is history

Kuch has 637 pts in 575
McDavid 726 in 501
Crosby in his first 550 games? 769 pts

Also--for generation talent remove all team accolades

according to some people there are around 6 generational talents playing in the nhl right now

We are getting great talent confused with generation talents

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Best pure offensive player in the leage for a ~3 year period.
So, depends how you define a generation.

The term "generational" is so vague, arbitrary, and subjective that this question doesn't actually matter

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
My own view: I think there's been maybe 8-10 generational players in the league's history.
Orr, Gretzky, Bossy, Hasek, Lemieux, Howe, Crosby, McDavid are at the top of my list. After some debate maybe I'd add one or two.

If you suggest Kucherov belongs in that list I'd argue you'd have to broaden the criteria so that players like Jagr, Yzerman, Messier, Lindros, Coffey, Brett Hull, Brodeur, Robinson, Denis Potvin (among others) get consideration.

I'd rather keep it to the elite of the elite. No doubt Kucherov is great - I picked him in two consecutive playoff pools and he almost single-handedly won me both, so I have some love for the guy - but not in the air of Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux.

Reactions: rogking65

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Generational gets thrown around too loose like most buzz words now days. He's one of best players in the league and people will remember him that way.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I think thats the most usual route, but not exclusive.

Jagr is a generational talent to me - but it took him ~3-4 years to really hit his stride.

Hasek is a generational goalie/player, and it took him much longer.

True that most generational players are known even ahead of nhl debut (Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovi, McDavid, etc) but i dont think its mandatory.

Kucherov could still end up winning another couple ross/harts over prime mcdavid. If he does - maybe looking back we'll think him as such

Very high bar, but not impossible

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Generational talent? Let's look at some of his seasons...

18 points in 52 games
65 points in 82 games
66 points in 77 games

Reminder that Ovechkin got thrashed for putting up a 65 point season by this forum and the media, yet we're just supposed to overlook these awful seasons from Kucherov?

No one here actually thinks Kucherov is a generational talent, because they're holding him to far lower standards than the other players they consider to be generational

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad