Value of: Is Lindholm's value plummeting? Will a team regret trading for him?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rental players like Lindholm just aren't commanding the boatload of talent they once were at the Trade Deadline.

Draft picks, and young guys playing on entry-level contracts, have become too important as teams struggle to remain cap compliant.

A team could make a disastrous mistake acquiring a guy like Lindholm for a month of the regular season and a playoff round or two. Giving up valuable picks and top prospects, makes the deal even more painful.

Wouldn't shock me if he moves for a second or third round pick and maybe a 'B' level prospect. Of more interest will be who signs him as a UFA in the off-season.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
the reasoning some posters give for throwing out Kuzmenko's first year stats should be applied to Lindholm's no? Lindholm is pushing 30, its likely that the current trajectory will maintain unless he pulls a Pavelski out of nowhere. The savings a GM gets for trading for Monahan is enough of a deterrent for Lindholm's services, acquiring him hoping that he will bounce back to '21-'22 numbers.

For one, he just turned 29 last month.
Secondly, Kuzmenko shot at 27.3% last year, while Lindholm is at 6.3% this year. Just as Kuzmenko's numbers have returned to average, so will Lindholm's (in the opposite direction)
Thirdly, current trajectory? He's had a few tough stretches over a 40 game sample size. A little early to call one way or the other no?

Go back a few months and Brock Boeser was a useless cap dump. Funny how things work.

Reactions: David71

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
If Conroy had a decent deal presented at any point, which I have no idea if he did or not, and didn't pursue getting it done..

Yeah. He's not played well and it's looking worse than ever. I wouldn't pony up for him. Do I think he'll look better with a better team? Yeah. But if anyone is negotiating they're loving the fact that they can lowball hard.

I doubt we get much of anything. Lindy should have taken the contract. I'm glad he didn't.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Lindholm will fetch a 1st+Good Prospect pretty easily with the crop of players available. He is the kind of guy I would love for the Oilers to add to their F group.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
If Conroy had a decent deal presented at any point, which I have no idea if he did or not, and didn't pursue getting it done..

Yeah. He's not played well and it's looking worse than ever. I wouldn't pony up for him. Do I think he'll look better with a better team? Yeah. But if anyone is negotiating they're loving the fact that they can lowball hard.

I doubt we get much of anything. Lindy should have taken the contract. I'm glad he didn't.
Lowballing won't work when there is an arms race bidding war for quality top 6 players

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Rental players like Lindholm just aren't commanding the boatload of talent they once were at the Trade Deadline.

Draft picks, and young guys playing on entry-level contracts, have become too important as teams struggle to remain cap compliant.

A team could make a disastrous mistake acquiring a guy like Lindholm for a month of the regular season and a playoff round or two. Giving up valuable picks and top prospects, makes the deal even more painful.

Wouldn't shock me if he moves for a second or third round pick and maybe a 'B' level prospect. Of more interest will be who signs him as a UFA in the off-season.

What’s the supporting evidence for that assertion? How do you square that narrative with the fact that more 1st round picks were dealt for rentals in 2023 than any year since 2007?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Lindholm: 47gp 8g, 23a, 31pts

Monahan: 47g, 11g, 20a, 31pts

Lindholm linemates: Huberdeau and Sharangovich

Monahan linemates (most recent): Josh 'Wawa' Roy and Joel Armia (Pearson and Gallagher his most used linemates)

Adam Henrique - 46gp, 14g, 15a, 29pts

Really not too much seperation anymore on the top of the trade board for centres.

I expect that is the reason teams are calling on Casey Mittelstadt.

47gp, 12g, 27a, 39 points with very little PP time.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Lindholm will fetch a 1st+Good Prospect pretty easily with the crop of players available. He is the kind of guy I would love for the Oilers to add to their F group.
1706140439821.jpeg

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think that given the value of his cheap contract, RH shot Center and still a real solid 2-way player, he still probably gets teams bidding up toward that same sort of return Horvat yielded last year. Despite Bo being on an unsustainable heater of a year at the time, and Lindholm going a bit cold at the wrong time to maximize value.

His market is kind of interesting though, in that...how many serious playoff/contender type teams are really looking for a #2C? There are a handful out there, but there are also plenty who aren't going to be willing or able to pay that kind of acquisition price for a guy to be their ultra luxury 3rd Center that they probably can't afford to retain beyond this year.

Winnipeg/Carolina/Colorado very probably being in the mix is probably enough to drum up a strong bidding war anyway though. I could even see Nashville taking a stab at it too if they think they're still within striking distance. Bruins could be in the mix too, if they think getting over the fallout from Bergeron/Krejci gives them room to maneuver next year. Vancouver could use a 2C option like Lindholm for sure, but they don't really have the cap space to retain him beyond this season, so i'm not sure how far in they'd go on "value" for a more "pure rental". But it sure would be nice.

So there should still be enough of a captive market that a player like Lindholm gets drummed up toward that Horvat price. 1st + B Prospect + Functional cap offset reclamation player. And despite the down year, he'll almost certainly still land a contract in that Horvat range of $8.5M per with retirement term.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
It's funny when Canuck fans try to make a thread to drive down the value of a player they really want. They are the only fanbase delusional enough to think their views actually effect the value of a player.
I mean show me proof that Canuck fans do this or are the only ones.

I've made plenty of posts more than willing to pay top price, some might not have but you do realize this board is just for fun right?

You are obviously but hurt and lack the maturity to acknowledge what the poster said but in the context of a discussion board and Vancouver being rumoured to be involved, it's a valid question.

If Lindholm was having a year similar to his career season, flames fans would be asking for Lekkerimaki a 1st and more and right to do so
The fact he's not doesn't make him worthless but it does effect his value.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Lindtholm is going to bring back a disappointing return. A bottom 6 grinder and a 1st at the most. And if it’s a contender, that 1st will be a late pick anyways. GMs know Conroys hands are tied by Flames owners.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I still think he’s easily worth a first rounder

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
If Lindholm doesn’t have to be the guy, I think that’s a boon for him wherever he ends up. Gotta think a change of scenery does wonders for him.

You’re likely still paying around-ish the Horvat price at the deadline due to lack of quality Cs that, at the moment, are on the market. That can change quickly if a team drops off when the going gets tough.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Cool, and Blake Coleman is on pace for 35 goals and 70 points. Half season heaters happen all the time. That's why we look at the body of work for these players. Any team who willingly trades for Monahan over Lindholm needs to re-evaluate their pro scouting, and this is coming from a guy who has defended Monahan on this board probably more than anyone over the years.
You're clearly not watching Monahan currently if you think he's on some fluky "half season heater" as it seems you're insinuating. And he's been carrying his line. We have literally 2/3rds of our second line and basically all of our 3rd line injured for ages now. He's playing with scraps and guys with no offense. All players go through some droughts, and Monahan is no different and was producing decent last year too.

Not saying he'll fetch as much or more than Lindholm if traded, but I think it's not as wide a difference as many of you here seem to think. Especially considering a nearly 3mil cap hit difference. Unless Cgy can afford to retain, that may just be enough to deter some teams. Which often is the case considering most contenders are at or near the cap.

But it's all talk from all sides at this point. Guess we may find out soon enough.

Ledge And Dairy

His shot metrics are awful this year, so it's not just a linemate issue. As in, not just bad compared to when he was having a career year, but the worst in his career. He's bleeding scoring chances against, and not generating as many as he usually does.

To be clear, his shot metrics are not down because he's not playing with Gaudreau and Tkachuk. He has been a good-to-great possession player his entire career (except his rookie year). This year is a clear outlier.

Have there been any reports of injuries?
He's played with a constantly rotating door of wingers all season, Mangiapane playing the most with him (and he's not even on that line anymore). Besides him and Huberdeau, the other wingers have rotated between the 1st line, 4th line, healthy scratch, and minors. So on top of inconsistent linemates the actual quality is not there either.

On top of that he's played the most minutes against elite competition of any Flames forward.

Since the Huberdeau - Lindholm - Sharangovich line was formed at the start of the year he's put up 8 points in the 11 games and the 3 have combined for 11 goals and 30 points in that same frame

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

If he's just going to get a 2nd or 3rd in return then the Flames likely won't bother dealing him given where they are in the standings. They'd likely just shoot for the last wildcard spot and a couple of home playoff games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad