Value of: Is Lindholm's value plummeting? Will a team regret trading for him?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Huberdeau - 26pts in 46 games.

Monahan's most used linemates - combined 24pts in 75 games

Lindholm makes 4.65m, Monahan makes 1.985m.

Im not the type of poster who's saying 'Monahan is going to get multiple firsts!!' but I am expecting Flames fans to be disappointed to see what Lindholm would fetch.

Cool, and Blake Coleman is on pace for 35 goals and 70 points. Half season heaters happen all the time. That's why we look at the body of work for these players. Any team who willingly trades for Monahan over Lindholm needs to re-evaluate their pro scouting, and this is coming from a guy who has defended Monahan on this board probably more than anyone over the years.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Maybe? Teams that want to trade for him will point to this season as evidence that they shouldn't have to pay very much, the Flames will point to the previous many seasons as evidence that yes they should.

At the end of the day, there isn't really another option with the same skill set available. The Flames will get a solid return.

Reactions: CDN24 and weslox

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
The top 4 teams in the league are all reportedly interested in adding a top 6 center. Lindholm is still the best player available by quite a large gap. This alone should create a bidding war
Who knows who is really available. Hronek was traded out of nowhere this time last year.

From what I'm reading as well from many fan bases, someone like Casey Mittlestadt is gaining more interest than Lindholm.

My value for Lindholm has considerably gone down.

I think he is worth a 1st, B level prospect, throw in player to make the salary fit.

Lower than what Horvat got last year

Ledge And Dairy

Who knows who is really available. Hronek was traded out of nowhere this time last year.

From what I'm reading as well from many fan bases, someone like Casey Mittlestadt is gaining more interest than Lindholm.

My value for Lindholm has considerably gone down.

I think he is worth a 1st, B level prospect, throw in player to make the salary fit.

Lower than what Horvat got last year
You are welcome to that opinion but it's probably wrong. Most GM's are able to separate recency bias from actual play. That's also the entire job of sending scouts to watch games. Lindholm for example could just be unlucky at being one of the last 3 to touch the puck

Horvat's return last year was not based on his absurd scoring rate of that season, otherwise he would have gotten way more.

Reactions: Nanuuk

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
He's shooting at 6.3%. It's easy to crap on a guy when the puck isn't bouncing his way. The previous five years here, he averaged a 15.26 shooting %.

Additionally - "piggy backing" is a disingenuous way of putting it. He played a key role in the success of that line. His totals last year were down, sure, but he was also directly tied to career years for his linemates in Toffoli and Dube. Linemates matter. What a shocking revelation.

Lindholm is not an elite offensive driver, but he has shown the ability to make those around him significantly better, and absolutely has shown the ability to drive play in an incredibly positive direction. Things haven't worked this year, but GM"s don't have short term memories.
The guy that made the players around him better was Mathew Tkachuk. He pulls in defenders and gives space to the other forwards. He had two line mates in Calgary that looked like they were way better players than they are. Look at the results since he has left. He has been better (and almost MVP caliber) and the other two have fallen off a cliff. Lindholm rode the tails and it is showing. Reminds me of the old West Coast Express and Brendon Morrison getting to play with Naslund and Bertuzzi. They made him.

Last edited:
Reactions: milehigh11

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The guy that made the players around him better was Mathew Tkachuk. He pulls in defenders and gives space to the other forwards. He had two line mates in Calgary that looked like they were way better players than they are. Look at the results since he has left. He has been better (and almost MVP caliber) and the other two have fallen off a cliff. Lindholm rode the tails and it is showing. Reminds me of the old West Coast Express and Brendon Morrison getting to play with Naslund and Bertuzzi. They made him.

Sean Monahan had a career year next to him.
Johhny Gaudreau had a career year next to him.
Tyler Toffoli had a career year next to him.
Dillon Dube had a career year next to him.

So the linemate argument only works when it suites your narrative? You are surprised he fell from 82 points to 64 points going from Gaudreau and Tkachuk to Dillon Dube and Tyler Toffli? A third liner and a 2nd liner? Really?

He'd be sitting at 20 goals and 43 points right now if his shooting % averaged out to what it has been during his time in a Flames uniform (15%).

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I expect Lindholm will fetch a strong return regardless, he's been a strong performer for years. GMs will be worried about injuries and a drastic fall in play, but the ebbs and flows over weeks and months are part of life in the NHL.

David Savard was reportedly having a pretty bad season when he got rented for a 1st, a 2nd and a 4th (as I recall).

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

So the linemate argument only works when it suites your narrative? You are surprised he fell from 82 points to 64 points going from Gaudreau and Tkachuk to Dillon Dube and Tyler Toffli? A third liner and a 2nd liner? Really?

He'd be sitting at 20 goals and 43 points right now if his shooting % averaged out to what it has been during his time in a Flames uniform (15%).
His shot metrics are awful this year, so it's not just a linemate issue. As in, not just bad compared to when he was having a career year, but the worst in his career. He's bleeding scoring chances against, and not generating as many as he usually does.

To be clear, his shot metrics are not down because he's not playing with Gaudreau and Tkachuk. He has been a good-to-great possession player his entire career (except his rookie year). This year is a clear outlier.

Have there been any reports of injuries?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
His shot metrics are awful this year, so it's not just a linemate issue. As in, not just bad compared to when he was having a career year, but the worst in his career. He's bleeding scoring chances against, and not generating as many as he usually does.

To be clear, his shot metrics are not down because he's not playing with Gaudreau and Tkachuk. He has been a good-to-great possession player his entire career (except his rookie year). This year is a clear outlier.

Have there been any reports of injuries?

Trust me I realize that. But as you said - this year is the clear outlier in almost every aspect, and I think teams recognize that.

Really, I think it just boils down to Lindholm wanting to move on and not being fully committed. No player in his situation is turning down the reported contract offer he received unless he's just completely checked out and in need of a change of scenery. That has leaked into his all around game.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Trust me I realize that. But as you said - this year is the clear outlier in almost every aspect, and I think teams recognize that.

Really, I think it just boils down to Lindholm wanting to move on and not being fully committed. No player in his situation is turning down the reported contract offer he received unless he's just completely checked out and in need of a change of scenery. That has leaked into his all around game.
I tend to think this also and I wondered the same thing about him. Mark S was in the same boat before his contract signing and a lot of crap going around with Wheeler being traded etc which effected him on and off the ice.

Now, Wheeler is gone, contract signed and Mark looks like a totally different player, he's competing hard 200' of the ice, very good offensively and defensively.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Flames re-sign him. Not at the outrageous reported 9M, but something like 8 x 7.5 or so.

The guy that will be traded is Kadri.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He’s still so valuable as a two way C. Obviously his value has dipped from the summer. But he’s probably the best PKer in the league which is severely underrated by casual fans.

Put him with a guy like Rantanen and I bet he’s a ppg.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

Gaurdreau benefites from the room that was created by Tkachuk as well.

Looking at his stats, he is a decent second line player and has been on a sharp decline for the past couple seasons.

Reactions: Homesick

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Lindholm reminds me of PLD right now

Or he is just mentally done in cgy and just waiting to be traded. Probably mad that he screwed himself out of a large contract too

Reactions: Just Linda

Bond

May 10, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Flames re-sign him. Not at the outrageous reported 9M, but something like 8 x 7.5 or so.

The guy that will be traded is Kadri.
No one is taking that Kadri contract and that contract would have been signed a while ago if he was willing. Time for the Flames to move on

Lindholm reminds me of PLD right now

Or he is just mentally done in cgy and just waiting to be traded. Probably mad that he screwed himself out of a large contract too
He has been checked out since since Huberdeau flopped. I get the distinct feeling he is done with Calgary barring a massive overpay and that boat has hopefully sailed from the Flames side

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
His value will still be high. GMs and pro scouts will be well aware of both what he's capable of providing and they will also be well aware that the trade deadline market for buyers needing a top 2 center will be very limited options with Lindholm very likely the best one available. As far as a deadline rental his cost will be high. He's also for the right club, worth paying a high cost as a rental. Colorado comes to mind.

The real decision with risk will be the club who signs him to his next deal. He's reportedly turned down an insane offer from Calgary as I believe he just wants to move on. His play currently might effect the contract offer he gets but even that I'm not sure. His next deal is likely one he won't be able to live up too and we in time will see buyers regret.

I almost wonder if a Lindholm trade is about to drop. You have Dube gone from the team and the club waiving multiple players at once. Could be a package deal coming back and Flames need the roster spots.

Regret trading for? No

Regret signing? Very likely, and I don't mean in the last couple years of the contract. Mean in the first couple years of it.

Last edited:

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Horvat deal: Protected 1st, Raty, Beauvillier
49gp 31g, 24a 55p

Lindholm:
47gp 8g, 23a 31p

I don't think he's worthless or anything, but the Horvat deal is the closest comparable and Lindholm is having a significantly worse season. I'm not seeing the argument that they should cost the same.
Maybe… just maybe…. a player shouldn’t be judged based on his worse stretch of production in years?

I know that might seem crazy at first, but maybe just think about it for half a second and it might make more sense

His value definitely dropped a bit this year, but he was never getting much more than 1st+prospect+roster player anyway. We probably get a less valuable prospect now than we could’ve before, but he’s still a high-end 2C who will likely end up with about 50 pts in his worst season in like 5 yrs. Still get to my 1st+prospect though so this thread is pointless

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
No one is taking that Kadri contract and that contract would have been signed a while ago if he was willing. Time for the Flames to move on

He has been checked out since since Huberdeau flopped. I get the distinct feeling he is done with Calgary barring a massive overpay and that boat has hopefully sailed from the Flames side
There have been rumblings out of Denver that they are interested in Kadri as they are loading up for a run. Could be random internet chatter or some truth to it.

As far as Lindholm goes, sometime players have off years. Maybe he will get traded. Maybe he won't.

It depends on who goes first.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
an FYI, there were a number of NHL scouts at the Calgary/St. Loo game last night.

7 CBJ (which make sense since they're in town tomorrow). Not sure who the other clubs were, but I believe they were the usual suspects bandied about in rumours.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
the reasoning some posters give for throwing out Kuzmenko's first year stats should be applied to Lindholm's no? Lindholm is pushing 30, its likely that the current trajectory will maintain unless he pulls a Pavelski out of nowhere. The savings a GM gets for trading for Monahan is enough of a deterrent for Lindholm's services, acquiring him hoping that he will bounce back to '21-'22 numbers.

Reactions: LesCanadiens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad