Is Jeremy Swayman an elite goalie or is he a flash in the pan?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
He has 2 seasons in a row where he has finished 4th and 5th in sv%.

I get the reservations calling him elite given the defense behind him, but "flash in the pan" for someone who has statistically been one of the best goalies in the league 2 years in a row as a 25 year old seems wrong.

Not every goalie has his stats playing behind a top 10 defense in the league either

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There's nothing that would suggest that he's a flash in the pan.

yeah kind of my thinking too. It's actually going against his past pedigree and performances so far to suggest he'll be worse off going forwards.

The argument can only be based on 'vibes' and 'goalies are voodoo', though I suppose it's fair to question how he'd handle a 50+ game workload.

I get the reservations calling him elite given the defense behind him, but "flash in the pan" for someone who has statistically been one of the best goalies in the league 2 years in a row as a 25 year old seems wrong.

Not every goalie has his stats playing behind a top 10 defense in the league either

At every level prior, too.

Not that it translates directly of course but ther'es nothing to suggest a falloff.

Reactions: Felidae

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Matt Murray 3.0 minus the back to back Cups.

Not having Ullmark as a safety net could do a number on him mentally.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
After the late career resurrection I remember people like being like ''You said he was bad tho!'' well he was, but then he resurrected from the dead and a had a consistently good 3 year stretch after a pretty poor 3 out of 4 year stretch prior.

He just had couple years where he was having hip problems. 2011-2012 he played 73 games with .923sv%, then the next two seasons he only played 67 games total (.910 & .902 on the season that he played 24 games before having hip surgery).

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Swayman has been solid/very good for all 3 seasons in a 1A/1B setup with Ullmark, I think he's a good goalie, just how good we'll see once he holds a fulltime starter job for a few seasons.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I think he's the goaltending equivalent to McAvoy.

Not an elite goaltender but good enough that everyone is happy with him.

He'll never be on the level of Price or Lundqvist but is a legitimate starter.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Goalies are typically volatile, so in a sense, the flash in the pan comment is apt not only in this situation but for many goalies at certain times of the season.

tTheVeganWoofMate

Adopt.Volunteer. Rescued is the best breed!
Mar 21, 2019
NJ
He’s only played 132 games.
So neither?
Yet

I think he's the goaltending equivalent to McAvoy.

Not an elite goaltender but good enough that everyone is happy with him.

He'll never be on the level of Price or Lundqvist but is a legitimate starter.
So then highly highly over rated

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
He has the potential to be elite but I think he is currently well above average steady and reliable. A lot of potential there once he gets the reigns.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
His stats everywhere he has played have been elite. Never had a down year statistically, which is very uncommon.

His "worst" NHL season in 4 years he has a .914 save percentage.

Jake oettinger has had 4 year in the nhl too, and only had 1 year above .914

So like even if swayman comes down a bit, he's still Jake oettinger. If he stays where he is he's among the nhls best.

If he improves a bit then he is in the vezina conversation annually.

The issue is that he hasn’t had to carry a number 1 NHL workload before.

We know he’s good for half a season

Reactions: tTheVeganWoofMate

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto

Some people don't watch Bruins games & just assume they play Claude Julien style D still. They don't.

They bleed chances every game. Goaltending kept them in a lot of games last year

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think he’s one of the better goalies in the league. While I don’t think he’s an elite talent…he’s closer to elite than flash in the pan

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Terrific at every level, at every step, in every league. I’m not sure you’ll find a younger goalie with less reason to be worried about “flash in the pan” with considering there is literally not a line item on his resume that would suggest this.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Some people don't watch Bruins games & just assume they play Claude Julien style D still. They don't.

They bleed chances every game. Goaltending kept them in a lot of games last year

They still play collapsing zone D that they played when Julien was coach. They don't play it as well, but there aren't playing a hybrid or man-to-man system in the defensive zone. Outside the defensive zone they've change considerably since Julien. More aggressive forecheck, more D-man pinches at the blue and red lines.

Defensively they took a step back at Center last year with the personnel changes. Offensively the centers held their own but Bergeron especially was a massive loss in their own zone.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Still a ways to go to see if he’s elite, but there is much to like about him and I think he’ll continue to trend up. Bruins got a goody imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad