Is Jelly Roll the future of music?

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Discovered this guy just a while ago, was pretty shocked, getting a Kurt Cobain/Jimi Hendrix/Jim Morrison kind of vibe from the guy. He comes across as a true icon of the times.

Just, No.gif

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So you view yourself superior to literal MIT professors? Like you really think yourself that great, or you just clueless of who Joe Rogan is?

Name a more prominent individual in the current era that is more open about legitimate hardship? Weight/Criminal record/Addiction/Depression/ While looking like someone who rarely gets seen on camera forget being mainstreamed in the music industry?

Being the tallest guy in the NHL doesn't make you great. Being the tallest who can score/skate etc will.

He's cross domain, charismatic, talented, unique, etc. You can't become a true music icon unless you have a broad collection of goods.

Guy can literally do a Chris Cornell voice, 10 seconds later be rapping, or doing a duet with a country great.

That are currently charting? And have mass appeal outside of the traditional country market?

Again cross domain, it's not just rural people, he speaks to rural people who typically get ignored, for tons of urban people is appeal is strong. If you're bothered by the homelessness epidemic in Los Angeles, you hear this guy and you know he understands it. That's the nature of being iconic, doesn't matter where you are.

Guy has impeccable timing coming about when most people are coming to terms with so many of the mental health/physical health issues that arose in people during covid.

Pardon? Is this even a question?

Getting on Joe Rogan generally means you're one of the premier voices in your field(however legitimate your field is). Pretty much one of the best musician podcasts

To do a duet with the country music artist of the year, generally means you've made it.

Being on an NBC documentary yes means you're a pretty big deal.

Sure every kid watching him will eat themselves to 400 pounds, because jroll did it.

Next your gonna tell me kids are knocking their teeth out with hammers to look more like Brent Burns.

The face tats are a true testament to the reality of life he's lived.
I can't tell if you are just trolling now...this is hilarious.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
in order to be considered as the one who is the future of music one has to make an impact that makes a real dramatic impact upon both peers and fans. the impact is the level of metaphorically shitting in your pants.

hendrix: one night during the late 60's pete townshend was in some UK bar/club and he saw hendrix do his thing. once he got home he started calling a bunch of guitar heroes from that era like clapton and told all of them that there's a guy out there on the scene that is going to make us start looking for new jobs.

pre-hendrix there were a several rock guitar heroes. post hendrix hundreds.

nirvana: in the early 90's i absolutely hated pearl jam. alive is the only song i like from them. but nirvana yeah they were all right. it was refreshing ya know? at that time the radio airwaves were flooded with bad band versions of 80's hair metal. trixter, firehouse, shit like that.

not only did cobain wipe out those shit bands, they took down almost ALL the metal bands. to name a few, priest, maiden, and dio were forced to stop playing in places like madison sq garden and the philly spectrum. once nirvana exploded record companies scaled back metal releases and radio stations threw all those albums in the trash, the only ones who didn't get dented were metallica and bon jovi.

lastly the test of time. 10, 15, 20 years from now i'm almost certain that people of all generations will still click on and jam to cobain and hendrix tunes. can the same really honestly be said about jelly roll?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
in order to be considered as the one who is the future of music one has to make an impact that makes a real dramatic impact upon both peers and fans. the impact is the level of metaphorically shitting in your pants.

hendrix: one night during the late 60's pete townshend was in some UK bar/club and he saw hendrix do his thing. once he got home he started calling a bunch of guitar heroes from that era like clapton and told all of them that there's a guy out there on the scene that is going to make us start looking for new jobs.

pre-hendrix there were a several rock guitar heroes. post hendrix hundreds.

nirvana: in the early 90's i absolutely hated pearl jam. alive is the only song i like from them. but nirvana yeah they were all right. it was refreshing ya know? at that time the radio airwaves were flooded with bad band versions of 80's hair metal. trixter, firehouse, shit like that.

not only did cobain wipe out those shit bands, they took down almost ALL the metal bands. to name a few, priest, maiden, and dio were forced to stop playing in places like madison sq garden and the philly spectrum. once nirvana exploded record companies scaled back metal releases and radio stations threw all those albums in the trash, the only ones who didn't get dented were metallica and bon jovi.

lastly the test of time. 10, 15, 20 years from now i'm almost certain that people of all generations will still click on and jam to cobain and hendrix tunes. can the same really honestly be said about jelly roll?

On one hand you can make the argument that the music industry is too fragmented now and there's no "central hub" like MTV/Much Music/even Tower Records where the entire continent or world had their attention, however yeah, I don't hear this guy's music at gyms, Supercuts, Malls, etc.

He has a niche. He's nowhere close to the level of a Taylor Swift/The Weeknd/Beyonce/Harry Styles (and I don't like any of those artists but I still hear their music somehow).

Reactions: DaaaaB's

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
has anybody in media of any kind asked jelly roll what is his favorite flavor of jelly? also how does he feel about jam?

smuckers strawberry jam was my favorite!!!! as a kid i used to take a spoon and empty out 1/2 a jar of that stuff without any bread. yummy!!!!!

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
These songs remind me of Everlast

Seems like a modern Everlast/Bubba Sparx crossover guy, however I don't see him as leading the pack.

The industry has a very clear vision of who they want to push (models who can sing clean pretending to play musicians).
Absolutely spot on. Just listened to his new song "Need a Favor" and if someone told me it was an Everlast cover I would have believed them. Such a generic "top hits" radio song.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I went and gave that a listen on YouTube, it's "catchy" to a point that's kind of nauseating. It answers to every expectations you might have, living in the joyous and flashy opposition to originality and creativity. The future of music is bland.
Aren't songs...suppose to be catchy?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Aren't songs...suppose to be catchy?

Not necessarily. In general, it's not one of the top things I'm looking for and I can view it as a negative at times. Part of why music is so subjective.

Oh I meant "catchy" as a Michael Bay action film having "action", or a horror movie filled wall-to-wall with jump scares. At some point, it's not catchy at all, you're just doing too much.

But izlez is right, I too will mostly be engaged with music that are not catchy in a traditional sense - and anyway, out of pop music and its variance, I don't think there'd be much consensus on what's a hook.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
FWIW I was at a bar a couple months ago with my wife when his Save Me song played. On the way home, she had to look it up and listen to some of his other songs (something she never does). She doesn't care much for music in general or even listen to the radio, but she really liked him and his voice enough to search more.

I'm not going to say he's the future of music or anything dumb, but he does have a unique voice/quality that appeals to some people.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Just had ol' JR in my YouTube suggestions (why?!) and had to bump this thread to announce that the future of music has now arrived, and it's a collab' with MGK. :nod:

(again... wtf YouTube?)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Just had ol' JR in my YouTube suggestions (why?!) and had to bump this thread to announce that the future of music has now arrived, and it's a collab' with MGK. :nod:

(again... wtf YouTube?)

MGK should do the world a favor and slice his head off with one of those razor blade guitars he had made.

Dude is a hack. Got bitched out by Eminem so hard he had to change genres and now he prances around as a "punk" artist, completely defiling that genre too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00