Is Jelly Roll the future of music?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The future of music is going to be something so completely different from the current style (autotune, the triplet hi hat drum machine, and like 9 beat producers on one track).

It may be someone who is five years old and hasn't even picked up a Mac or guitar yet.

It will be radically different from late-2010s to current sound.

It won't be the classic guitar style or long albums full of songwriting. That's not the current model for "the biz".

It may not even be part of a genre or sound now. The music industry is so broken up and territorial.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
"but my unfiltered first impression looking at the guy is he's a sad Insane Clown Posse fan, whatever they call themselves."

sad faced juggalo - hahahaha!!!! l luv it man

woo woo!!!!
Jelly Roll is ready to get down with the clowns :laugh:

AB1B8731-3389-4D6C-BE81-7CDFC59ADDA1.gif

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I’ve read this whole thread and I’m still so confused. No clue who this guy is and the music is… fine? I guess?

The future of music? Maybe if a meteor takes out all other music tomorrow. He’s got a niche. Good for him I suppose. He’s… fine.

Also if you think guitar music is dead expand your horizons man. Yeesh. One of my favorite bands, Mt. Joy, absolutely shreds. But they’re more indie rock than tatted country rap or what ever so I guess it doesn’t land on OPs radar.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Lets be honest...who doesn't love a jelly roll with a cup of coffee??

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Hip-hop mixed with another genre rarely works. Some exceptions: Revolting Cocks, joke band with occasional rapping. Ministry is industrial but industrial is similarly structured to hip-hop. Death Grips. Maybe Suicidal Tendencies?

Look at nu-metal or rap metal. It didn't turn out so well. Linkin Park, etc. Korn wasn't terrible, I guess.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
rap metal
Back in 1993, the Judgment Night soundtrack was the future of music* though. Just like today, scarlxrd is definitely the future of music*. I'll admit that between the two, there's a gigantic void.

*and by future of music, I mean that I like it a lot, but you don't have to.

Reactions: Hippasus

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Jelly Roll may have some competition coming cause I heard of a new guy called Cinnamon Bun that’s ready to take over :cool:
damn dude!!!! now i have the urge to find a nearby cinnabon and stuff my face.

maybe if i regularly eat there at cinnabon for a whole month and get a few face tats along the way i too can also can be in the running for "the future of music." is mumble still poppin' with da kids?

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
If I ran this website you'd be banned instantly for telling someone to read the comments on a Joe Rogan video.
So you think yourself superior to them? Looking for clarification on this one?

Regardless I meant the ones linked to his songs.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
So you think yourself superior to them? Looking for clarification on this one?

Regardless I meant the ones linked to his songs.
Joe Rogan viewers? Yes. People in the comments section of Joe Rogan on youtube? Also yes.

The people commenting on the documentary trailer... alright, people like his music. People find solace/hope/strength/an emotional resonance in his music. Alright. He's not the first musician people have gravitated to because they see themselves in him. I could show you videos of musicians whose work means the same to me, and with comments that show it means the same to others. Is this new? Is this the future of music because he seems to appeal to some aspect of rural America? Is he any more the future of music now than two months ago when you made the thread?

Also

jr.png

f***in yikes. We can add "makes children think face tattoos are cool" to the list of his crimes.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
Joe Rogan viewers? Yes. People in the comments section of Joe Rogan on youtube? Also yes.
So you view yourself superior to literal MIT professors? Like you really think yourself that great, or you just clueless of who Joe Rogan is?

The people commenting on the documentary trailer... alright, people like his music. People find solace/hope/strength/an emotional resonance in his music. Alright. He's not the first musician people have gravitated to because they see themselves in him.
Name a more prominent individual in the current era that is more open about legitimate hardship? Weight/Criminal record/Addiction/Depression/ While looking like someone who rarely gets seen on camera forget being mainstreamed in the music industry?

Being the tallest guy in the NHL doesn't make you great. Being the tallest who can score/skate etc will.

He's cross domain, charismatic, talented, unique, etc. You can't become a true music icon unless you have a broad collection of goods.

Guy can literally do a Chris Cornell voice, 10 seconds later be rapping, or doing a duet with a country great.

I could show you videos of musicians whose work means the same to me, and with comments that show it means the same to others. Is this new?
That are currently charting? And have mass appeal outside of the traditional country market?

Is this the future of music because he seems to appeal to some aspect of rural America?
Again cross domain, it's not just rural people, he speaks to rural people who typically get ignored, for tons of urban people is appeal is strong. If you're bothered by the homelessness epidemic in Los Angeles, you hear this guy and you know he understands it. That's the nature of being iconic, doesn't matter where you are.

Guy has impeccable timing coming about when most people are coming to terms with so many of the mental health/physical health issues that arose in people during covid.

Is he any more the future of music now than two months ago when you made the thread?
Pardon? Is this even a question?

Getting on Joe Rogan generally means you're one of the premier voices in your field(however legitimate your field is). Pretty much one of the best musician podcasts

To do a duet with the country music artist of the year, generally means you've made it.

Being on an NBC documentary yes means you're a pretty big deal.

f***in yikes. We can add "makes children think face tattoos are cool" to the list of his crimes.
Sure every kid watching him will eat themselves to 400 pounds, because jroll did it.

Next your gonna tell me kids are knocking their teeth out with hammers to look more like Brent Burns.

The face tats are a true testament to the reality of life he's lived.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
So you view yourself superior to literal MIT professors? Like you really think yourself that great, or you just clueless of who Joe Rogan is?

Name a more prominent individual in the current era that is more open about legitimate hardship? Weight/Criminal record/Addiction/Depression/ While looking like someone who rarely gets seen on camera forget being mainstreamed in the music industry?

Being the tallest guy in the NHL doesn't make you great. Being the tallest who can score/skate etc will.

He's cross domain, charismatic, talented, unique, etc. You can't become a true music icon unless you have a broad collection of goods.

Guy can literally do a Chris Cornell voice, 10 seconds later be rapping, or doing a duet with a country great.

That are currently charting? And have mass appeal outside of the traditional country market?

Again cross domain, it's not just rural people, he speaks to rural people who typically get ignored, for tons of urban people is appeal is strong. If you're bothered by the homelessness epidemic in Los Angeles, you hear this guy and you know he understands it. That's the nature of being iconic, doesn't matter where you are.

Guy has impeccable timing coming about when most people are coming to terms with so many of the mental health/physical health issues that arose in people during covid.

Pardon? Is this even a question?

Getting on Joe Rogan generally means you're one of the premier voices in your field(however legitimate your field is). Pretty much one of the best musician podcasts

To do a duet with the country music artist of the year, generally means you've made it.

Being on an NBC documentary yes means you're a pretty big deal.

Sure every kid watching him will eat themselves to 400 pounds, because jroll did it.

Next your gonna tell me kids are knocking their teeth out with hammers to look more like Brent Burns.

The face tats are a true testament to the reality of life he's lived.
Everything you say about him might be true but ultimately Mr. Roll and this thread boil down to three things.

If he is "the" future of music - I'm pretty sure I said earlier in the thread I don't think such a thing can exist, and if I didn't, I do - do you think this is the best place to gain a consensus on that? This extremely niche website is unlikely to lean towards the demographics his fans come from, and the genres he exists in aren't the most popular in this subforum at least.

If he means so much to this unheard or unrepresented people, how universal can his appeal be to people outside of that? Is he the future of 'music', or the future of two or three specific genres of music? How mainstream can you actually be when you're trying to bring together so many areas which typically have a diverse audience? How much will he really appeal to non-rural America, never mind the rest of the world?

And finally, after listening to more of his songs than I ever thought I would, how good a musician is he, actually? Charisma and presence are obviously a key aspect of an artist's appeal, but what can he do? Can he sing? He sounds like any modern country song or terrible modern rapper to me, so I don't know. Is that timeless? Can he play any instruments, write any actual music? Will he hold even the appeal he does now in five years time, never mind add any more? Can anyone, in the increasingly fleeting media landscape of the developed world?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad