Is Jelly Roll the future of music?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
Seems like a modern Everlast/Bubba Sparx crossover guy, however I don't see him as leading the pack.
If they could make songs that could make grown women cry. Guy's voice is mountains ahead.

The industry has a very clear vision of who they want to push (models who can sing clean pretending to play musicians).
Luke Combs, "The Luke Combs" says hi!

luke-combs-nicole-hocking-2000-09eb1bd8d4fe4c688d9ec172abcac68e.jpg

Every once in a while there's someone like The Weeknd who can write as well (and I'm not fan of his lol).

I'd say someone like Nilufer Yanya is a lot closer stylistically to the names you mentioned above, but her songwriting style is so retro-90s that it keep her in that Amoeba/Tiny Desk/Pitchfork level of success.

The 2020s "sound" for better or worse (I say worse) has a lot of autotune and that tripled hi hat thing going on.
Which is sort of the point there's a new market rising in counterpart to that. Aka very much like when Kurt Cobain replaced an entire industry of pretty boy metal singers. Which is why I think he's iconic.

The fact he's a big fat tatoo'd mess is his branding that the manufacturers of music can't get their hands on.

You can't compare it to the past, there's never been a time when country was so clearly the dominate form of guitar based rock music.

The rest of rock music suffered from a tower of bable syndrome where genres kept splitting and becoming more and more niche.

Country music is a conservative genre, there's consistency, a standard form that most country has to adhere too. It's the only thing that had any real resistance to the rise of hip hop/electronic music etc.

Country unlike other rock genre maintains a very very strong circle of adult musicians who could write killer music. While traditional rock musicians were obsessed with originality, country focused on actual song writing skills.

Last edited:

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
Kid Rock eats this Jelly Roll fellow for breakfast.
Kid Rock is the definition of a guy who is "ok" at a lot of things and gets by on hard work. Isn't particularly creative, isn't particularly great at singing. Only god knows why is one of my favorite songs by the way.

It's also a complete tangent from why Jelly Roll is so dam good. Jelly Roll has seem less versatility in total contrast to kid rock who basically did the rap rock thing because he couldn't cut it as either a rapper or a rocker.

Again respect the hell out of the guy hard worker.

I mean you could argue Jelly Roll is lazy person who just gets by on raw talent, but the point is he's a raw talent, an amazing voice.

You could probably drop Jelly Roll in almost any genre and he'd hit it out of the park.

Just as important Jelly Roll has a relatable charismatic personality, kid rock is "hard working".

Last edited:

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
A genre sure, but I think it's long past being viable that any one band/singer can be the "future of music". Just too many platforms for people to find their own tastes. If country fans want to think it that's fine, but rather than 'the next' I think a more apt description here would be 'country's Kurt Cobain'.
Well that's the point, we're suffering from too many platforms. Every big movement in music more or less came about because music was missing something fundamental.

I don't think Jelly Roll is the guy because he on his own is so great. It's the intersection of the times.

Outside of Nashville Guitar based music is socially irrelevant, it's a niche thing, you like your special thing and you're lucky if you can get your best friend to listen to it. Modern guitar based music doesn't have any mass appeal outside of country.

Reactions: torontoblood

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
this jelly guy may become a fad like billy ray cyrus, or get a garth brooks type of following.

what i wonder is who is going to be the next southern rock band that i can dig? if none i'll stick to the usual skynyrd, oulaws, allman bros and 38 special.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Son of a Sinner is pretty good and getting to 31 on the Hot 100 chart is impressive. Don't care for the rap ones. He isn't the only guy doing country/rap right now. I think Morgan Wallen (Have mixed feelings on him personally, but already there massive success wise and looking at country's first #1 billboard song in forever next week) and Zach Bryan (see my other thread) are bigger deals going forward for now.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta

Raw talent and raw charisma for starters, I suggest you give that a listen you'll be surprised.

That video told me a whole lot of nothing. Charisma and talent is not novel. He's the next to be put in a slot in Nashville and he's going to fill it. For how long? Is it (how long) relevant enough to be in the conversation when we are talking about the future of an industry?

I follow country music but don't waste my time with what comes out of Nashville. There's a lot more interesting stuff out there.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I discovered Lost Cause on YT because Jelly Roll came up on one of my Everlast random playlists:

Really emotional song and he had a booming voice - who the hell was the dude I thought… Jelly Roll - the f*** is that?

I dug into his music some more and realized he was a country singer…. Or a rapper… I still have no idea.

I hate country music but tried to give a few non-country songs a listen, but they didn’t catch my ear like Lost Cause.

Seems like a really talented guy though.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
i just learned that this guy has been around for 12 years. to be the chosen one as the "future of music" what i realized is that most are often labeled as such within 3 years after a debut album.

Reactions: beowulf

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
i just learned that this guy has been around for 12 years. to be the chosen one as the "future of music" what i realized is that most are often labeled as such within 3 years after a debut album.
He switched styles about 5-6 years ago, so that's a misleading narrative.

Why people are going down the rap rabbit hole is just behind me.

I only even brought it up to show the guy was capable of so much more. He's not trying to be a hybrid artist, he even mentioned he might do another rap album in a few years as a totally seperate project, and do a rock album on top of that. The comparison to Everlast or Kid Rock is a non relevant tangent.

Pretty much, nothing this guy does is original or groundbreaking
It's all a context of time, being "original" isn't original anymore. The snowflaking of guitar based music is exactly why it's basically a dead genre.

His originality is the versatility of his voice and his persona in a modern context.

Kid Rock etc was huge when middle America was huge. His background has a radically different relevance when middle America, especially opiate addicted america is considered a forgotten group of people.

When he does something like a southern rock album in my opinion is when he's gonna be on a whole other level.

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
"He switched styles about 5-6 years ago, so that's a misleading narrative."

if anything this would lead me to believe that he has already taken 2 shots at it to be considered the future of music. the only props that i'll give him is his old school way of using rhyme scheme - something that most rappers in the past 20+ years haven't been doing, and that he's spreading his eggs around rather than just one basket genre.

misleading? how? history is misleading? in addition to those listed above:

60's: the beatles, rolling stones, led zeppelin
70's: springsteen. van halen, elton john
80's: madonna, guns n' roses,
90's: pearl jam, eminem
and so on - you get the idea. all took over within 3 years.

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
"He switched styles about 5-6 years ago, so that's a misleading narrative."

if anything this would lead me to believe that he has already taken 2 shots at it to be considered the future of music. the only props that i'll give him is his old school way of using rhyme scheme - something that most rappers in the past 20+ years haven't been doing, and that he's spreading his eggs around rather than just one basket genre.

misleading? how? history is misleading? in addition to those listed above:

60's: the beatles, rolling stones, led zeppelin
70's: springsteen. van halen, elton john
80's: madonna, guns n' roses,
90's: pearl jam, eminem
and so on - you get the idea. all took over within 3 years.
Bruce Springsteen took years to get properly famous. He was 35 when born in the USA came out.

• Haha
Reactions: DaaaaB's

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
but then again music generally is marketed towards kids. and the majority of them today, based on what music is popular and/or considered legendary, places mediocrity (i'm being real kind here) real high on the pedestal. so if this dude does indeed become the future then hey good for you - go ahead and be proud of yourself that your prediction became true.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
What does "the snowflaking of guitar based music" even mean?

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Bruce Springsteen took years to get properly famous. He was 35 when born in the USA came out.

He was still a star from mid 70s on with big albums like Born to Run/Darkness on the Edge of Town/The River and producing his best stuff imo, just not as big as Born in the USA.

It'd be like if Kendrick Lamar's next album randomly was one of the biggest albums of all time and multiple times bigger than his previous ones, thanks to having a lot of radio friendly songs (and leading his diehard fans to think it's a little overrated). But he was already a big deal before even if not going nuclear success wise.

Lady Stanley

May 26, 2021
He was still a star from mid 70s on with big albums like Born to Run/Darkness on the Edge of Town/The River and producing his best stuff imo, just not as big as Born in the USA.
I get that the River is by far my favorite song written by him.

But his iconic smell's like teen spirit moment was when he's in his mid 30s./80s

It's obviously a different content fame is a very different thing nowadays.

It'd be like if Kendrick Lamar's next album randomly was one of the biggest albums of all time and multiple times bigger than his previous ones, thanks to having a lot of radio friendly songs (and leading his diehard fans to think it's a little overrated). But he was already a big deal before even if not going nuclear success wise.
You might have a good point because I have absolutely no idea who that is. Be clear I have absolute zero interest in hiphop. Like it's great if that's the gateway for jelly, but that isn't the appeal for me.

Regardless this is yet another tangent.

There's zero comparison to now and then. This is the reason I think he's gonna be the next big thing for guitar based music. You can't attribute a paradigm shift to a constant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad