Is it time for Lou to get his walking papers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
You honestly don't think there are better options?

I think an assistant GM that has been part of a team that is successful for a long time and drafts well/develops players well and has players on good contracts is a good step in the right direction.(Look for someone from San Jose,Anaheim,Pittsburgh(draft well even with late picks), and even Tampa(nice stable collection of prospects and doesn't rush anyone)).

I don't think San Jose or Anaheim belong on that list.

Their success began with GMs like Dean Lombardi, 15 years ago and a trade for Joe Thornton - not with any recent moves. San Jose is a failure because they can't make it past the first round. Anaheim has three good players and Teemu and they aren't exactly a model of how to build a team.

Pitt just tanked. I could be GM if MAF, Malkin, and Crosby fell in my lap drafting at #1 every year.

Tampa was so terrible they got Stamkos. They have been basement dwellers and this year is pretty much a fluke of the schedule so far.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think San Jose or Anaheim belong on that list.

Their success began with GMs like Dean Lombardi, 15 years ago and a trade for Joe Thornton - not with any recent moves. San Jose is a failure because they can't make it past the first round. Anaheim has three good players and Teemu and they aren't exactly a model of how to build a team.

Pitt just tanked. I could be GM if MAF, Malkin, and Crosby fell in my lap drafting at #1 every year.

Tampa was so terrible they got Stamkos. They have been basement dwellers and this year is pretty much a fluke of the schedule so far.

Lombardi was gone by the time they traded for Thornton. Lombardi was canned during that debacle in 02 when they fired Darryl Sutter as coach.

That's the only year that San Jose has missed the playoffs since 96. San Jose could have possibly made it to the SCF in 2011 with a little more luck. I think they could have took it to game 7 of the WCF in 2010. They just got sank by Eugene's BRUTAL goaltending.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Lombardi was gone by the time they traded for Thornton. Lombardi was canned during that debacle in 02 when they fired Darryl Sutter as coach.

That's the only year that San Jose has missed the playoffs since 96. San Jose could have possibly made it to the SCF in 2011 with a little more luck. I think they could have took it to game 7 of the WCF in 2010. They just got sank by Eugene's BRUTAL goaltending.

I wasn't saying Lombardi was in charge during the Thornton trade - what I'm saying is: The same pieces have been there since 2005 or before and this team is still a bunch of losers.

I don't see the great job that Doug Wilson has done. That whole playoff run of which you speak is all on Marleau, Thornton, Nabokov etc.

Drafting Couture was good. Picking up Boyle was ok. Niemii might turn out alright, but they were buying high. The Heatley thing was a disaster. Burns trade might turn out well except he's got a concussion history and he's out.

They were talking about blowing the whole thing up at the deadline last year - I'm not sure if that doesn't happen this year, or at least in the offseason if they don't go far in the playoffs.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wasn't saying Lombardi was in charge during the Thornton trade - what I'm saying is: The same pieces have been there since 2005 or before and this team is still a bunch of losers.

I don't see the great job that Doug Wilson has done. That whole playoff run of which you speak is all on Marleau, Thornton, Nabokov etc.

Drafting Couture was good. Picking up Boyle was ok. Niemii might turn out alright, but they were buying high. The Heatley thing was a disaster. Burns trade might turn out well except he's got a concussion history and he's out.

They were talking about blowing the whole thing up at the deadline last year - I'm not sure if that doesn't happen this year, or at least in the offseason if they don't go far in the playoffs.

They really were talking about blowing it up a year or two ago. My friend works for them. I won't say his name or what he does because I've said things on here that could be sort of incriminating if it got back to anybody. He said that if they choked out last season (Remember they struggled down the stretch) that could be it for both TMAC and Doug Wilson. He believed both were on the hot seat, but the 2nd round playoff run (Which could have been a round they won if not for horrible officiating in game 2, and Joe Pavelski not choking on an open net in game 7) kind of saved both of them. He's still not sure if they'll bring back Joe Thornton or not. He's a UFA this Summer.

He really believes they were close to a blow up. The first round shellacking against the Blues in 2012 really caused an uproar with management.

I honestly wouldn't mind Doug Wilson if he was available. I would sure as hell pick Doug Wilson over Chris Lamoriello.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

The San Jose Sharks assistant GM has been part of the team since 1990 so he was there for Marleau and he was a huge part of drafting Nabakov(look at Joe Will on San Jose's website). Niemi has turned out exceptional. Boyle is much better than ok pickup. And the Sharks have made it to the first round 3 out of the past 5 years. The Burns trade was good-- the Sharks didn't lose anything that still hurts them today and have certainly benefitted with Burns on the team.

And for your point on Anaheim--look at their recent drafts they have picked guys who now look like they are certain to make the NHL if not there already.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
That is scary because if those fans can't realize how tied up a minor league GM's hands up in any sport, well it says enough about those fans right there

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
What's the rationale to hire Chris then other than his last name? That's he's worked with Lou? Just because he's his son does not mean he'll be as good as his father.

I'm not saying Chris will become a bad gm but it is risky and there are guys with much better resumes out there and I also think it would be risky for the fact he might employ Lou's policies such as not negotiating over the season and not giving rookies performance bonuses(this affects our ability to sign undrafted free agents).

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What's the rationale to hire Chris then other than his last name? That's he's worked with Lou? Just because he's his son does not mean he'll be as good as his father.

I'm not saying Chris will become a bad gm but it is risky and there are guys with much better resumes out there and I also think it would be risky for the fact he might employ Lou's policies such as not negotiating over the season and not giving rookies performance bonuses(this affects our ability to sign undrafted free agents).
Thank you. What's the rationale exactly to hire Chris as a GM?
Assumptions abound
Now I ask you. What's the rationale to hire Chris as GM? You seem to be the one that has such a problem with people writing him off.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Thank you. What's the rationale exactly to hire Chris as a GM?

Now I ask you. What's the rationale to hire Chris as GM? You seem to be the one that has such a problem with people writing him off.

I've never taken a stance on whether or not Chris would be a GM for the reason that I've said now several times, we do not know enough to come to a conclusion

How can people come to a conclusion on something when they have not the least bit of a clue of what they are talking about?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The San Jose Sharks assistant GM has been part of the team since 1990 so he was there for Marleau and he was a huge part of drafting Nabakov(look at Joe Will on San Jose's website). Niemi has turned out exceptional. Boyle is much better than ok pickup. And the Sharks have made it to the first round 3 out of the past 5 years. The Burns trade was good-- the Sharks didn't lose anything that still hurts them today and have certainly benefitted with Burns on the team.

And for your point on Anaheim--look at their recent drafts they have picked guys who now look like they are certain to make the NHL if not there already.

Didn't know that about the assistant GM - thanks.

That first round pick for Boyle is Kyle Palmieri, along with Carle who they swapped for Eminger and Steve Downie so I guess it was a good trade for the Sharks. I think losing Setoguchi hurt more than it seems, particularly if Burns can't get back to the lineup.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
How the heck did Lou choose Harrold over Urbom?

Every time I see Urbom play he looks good/smooth and talented.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I've never taken a stance on whether or not Chris would be a GM for the reason that I've said now several times, we do not know enough to come to a conclusion

How can people come to a conclusion on something when they have not the least bit of a clue of what they are talking about?

I never came to a conclusion, I never said Chris will be a bad GM. I said there are guys out there with better resumes which leads to me to believe there are less riskier candidates out there than Chris.

apice3*

How the heck did Lou choose Harrold over Urbom?

Every time I see Urbom play he looks good/smooth and talented.

I don't think Lou anticipated Urbom being claimed. He's still nothing special, and likely will be a #7 or waived when the Caps blueline is healthy.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't think Lou anticipated Urbom being claimed. He's still nothing special, and likely will be a #7 or waived when the Caps blueline is healthy.

Most fans knew he would be claimed.
Lou screwed up.

Picking 29th was inexcusable and they should have drafted Murphy instead of Larsson as I hoped before that draft.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

but seriously, whatever

I stand by what I said, he didnt have any realistic future with us

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I don't know why you seem to think that whatever Lou will do, it's bound to turn into gold and that the rest of the other gm's are nothing more then "ok" and wouldn't do a solid job no matter what.

The game has passed him by in several aspects. His dinosaur mentality has screwed us more often then not and we need someone who understands "today's game" and isn't stuck in the past.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
lol Murphy over Larsson. Murphy would be scratched even more than Larsson.

Murphy would give us a dimension we don't have on the blueline.

I'd take him right now in a straight up trade.

That our braintrust chose harrold and tedenby over urbom and Carlson is infuriating.

ZadorovNJD*

It will be a huge embarrassment when we forfeit a top 5 pick and Lou should be fired for keeping #29 to draft a future 4th liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad