Is it time for a Canadian only professional hockey league?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't want to see a Canadian only league, but I think it would be dishonest to assume that it wouldn't do as well as an American one.

A, Canadians don't care about the variety of teams, not in the way it's portrayed here, here it's just confirmation bias of needy Canadian fans who need to roll on their backs like a good dog.

B, Stanley Cup belongs in Canada as per the original terms of the trusteeship, not the NHL, so if there was a hypothetical split, it would stay in Canada thus giving the Canadian league immediate brand recognition.

C, TV money, ESPN gave 100 million a year, split between 25 teams, vs the Rogers deal 700 million divided by 7 teams, you could easily add 3 teams Quebec, Toronto 2 and maybe Montreal 2 and call it a 10 team league and you think somehow the league with more money to spend is the American one?
ESPN pays the NHL $400 million annually and Turner $225 million.

The NHL signed new seven-season television deals last year: Disney will pay the league $400 million annually in the U.S., while Turner Sports added $225 million per season. In comparison, the NHL concluded a 10-year contract with NBC that paid $2 billion, or $200 million a year, at the end of last season.

I thought the NHL was still in the midst of its 12 year/$5.232 billion dollar deal with Rogers. That's $436 million per year. I think it runs until 2025-26. Am I mistaken?

Reactions: tucker3434

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Is it though? This Split Stanley Cup Finals? 'Inside the NHL?' What we know about the NHL's new media rights deals says: $400m per year for ESPN and $225m from Turner. Rather than the 100 you say.

My math was off but still relatively correct, that's 25 million per year per American team, Canadas deal is 5,232 Billion Canadian over 7 years, lets be generous and say 70 cents on the dollar, that's 75 million American per year per team, so 3 times more.

Edit math is still way off, I've been googling conflicting sources, so,

Still after some more mathemagicianing, I land at 43 million per team per year per Canadian team and 25 per American.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My math was off but still relatively correct, that's 25 million per year per American team, Canadas deal is 5,232 Billion Canadian over 7 years, lets be generous and say 70 cents on the dollar, that's 75 million American per year per team, so 3 times more.

12 years, not 7.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
12 years, not 7.

Yes google gave me something about 7 years, still the current Canadian deal is approximately 43 million American per team/year vs the 25 million per team/year of the ESPN deal.

The argument could be made if there were more teams in Canada there would be bigger Canadian TV deals to be had, or does that argument only work south of the border?

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
When did Montreal played in a lesser league ?
In your hypothetical scenario of an independent Canadian league, Montreal - by happenstance of being in Canada - would absolutely be in the lesser league. American teams in an American league would outbid Canadian teams for talent. It wouldn't matter if a Crosby was drafted by a Canadian team or not - he'd follow the money to the States.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
In your hypothetical scenario of an independent Canadian league, Montreal - by happenstance of being in Canada - would absolutely be in the lesser league. American teams in an American league would outbid Canadian teams for talent. It wouldn't matter if a Crosby was drafted by a Canadian team or not - he'd follow the money to the States.

I think you missunderstood me, in a world where the Canadian team draft the Canadiens and the USA have their home talent, how in the hell the league will survive with only Américan player

Exemple that comes to my mind, not something i wish but lets say there is a ww3, the USA will not give a damn about hockey with basket-ball base-ball and football already

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
And there it is

Pretend that they're playing on the same field as George McPhee or brisebois.

You think pietrangelo ever considered signing with Edmonton or Toronto? Did McPhee just out gm them?
Nobody made Dubas sign Tavares, and build a soft team. Nobody made Holland sign Nurse and Campbell to ridiculous deals, and it's only his and Chia's fault that that they haven't been able to surround McDrai with a SC champion roster. Canadian teams' failures have nothing to do with Bettman. Sure they have some disadvantages, but at the end of the day their failures are their own fault.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Nobody made Dubas sign Tavares, and build a soft team. Nobody made Holland sign Nurse and Campbell to ridiculous deals, and it's only his and Chia's fault that that they haven't been able to surround McDrai with a SC champion roster. Canadian teams' failures have nothing to do with Bettman. Sure they have some disadvantages, but at the end of the day their failures are their own fault.
I'm not blaming bettman. You don't often see 100 points players demand trades out of Florida to play in Calgary now do you?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think you missunderstood me, in a world where the Canadian team draft the Canadiens and the USA have their home talent, how in the hell the league will survive with only Américan player

Exemple that comes to my mind, not something i wish but lets say there is a ww3, the USA will not give a damn about hockey with basket-ball base-ball and football already
Your premise is false. Canadian players would not play in Canada.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes google gave me something about 7 years, still the current Canadian deal is approximately 43 million American per team/year vs the 25 million per team/year of the ESPN deal.

The argument could be made if there were more teams in Canada there would be bigger Canadian TV deals to be had, or does that argument only work south of the border?

Both TV deals would get shredded and renegotiated if something this big happened. You can tell me that nobody north of the border cares about watching Toronto/Montreal v Boston but I guarantee they’d rather see that than Vancouver for the 9th time. Both American and Canadian deals would shrink, per capita. More teams only works if you don’t subtract first.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm not blaming bettman. You don't often see 100 points players demand trades out of Florida to play in Calgary now do you?
The Panthers have had many players that have wanted out. Bouwmeester, Horton, Brian Campbell, Bure when they started losing, Beezer and Skrudland left for more money, so did Weiss effectively. Plus many other depth veterans that wanted nothing to do with Florida before they built themselves into a destination.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The Panthers have had many players that have wanted out. Bouwmeester, Horton, Brian Campbell, Bure when they started losing, Beezer and Skrudland left for more money, so did Weiss effectively. Plus many other depth veterans that wanted nothing to do with Florida before they built themselves into a destination.
I was venting a few days back. Deck is stacked against a few teams, Canadian and American, but it's not totally impossible to win. The old boys club shoulders most of the blame

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I think the Canadian media put a lot of pressure on their teams and players. Especially Toronto and Edmonton recently. I genuinely think if Montreal had drafted Shane wright for example the pressure would have been huge on the lad. I've no idea of he will pan out or not but I can't help but think being away from the spotlight a little at Coachella may help him develop or help to realign expectations.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think the Canadian media put a lot of pressure on their teams and players. Especially Toronto and Edmonton recently. I genuinely think if Montreal had drafted Shane wright for example the pressure would have been huge on the lad. I've no idea of he will pan out or not but I can't help but think being away from the spotlight a little at Coachella may help him develop or help to realign expectations.
I agree with that, but at the same time those teams have some advantages over others as well. For example, Toronto and MLSE have limitless pockets that they can use to spend on scouting, player development, coaching etc. Arizona is a dreaded destination despite being an attractive city and climate. Florida used to be in the same boat. Florida was avoided like the plague by most players for a long time. Every team goes through something at some point.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
I hate to point it out, but a third of the league is made up of Euro players. Who would go to the US in this hypothetical all-Canada league. Leafs would lose Matthews and Nylander, leaving Marner and Tavares behind. Oilers Draisatl and Ekholm, Canucks EP40 etc. The Flames traded/lost their Americans last year for a good old Canadian boy and that hasn't exactly turned out stellar. I do wonder what Flames fans think watching MT tearing it up in the playoffs.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think that yes, Canada could use a second tier professional league that's between NHL and CHL. So a Canadian equivalent of AHL.

It would give many Canadian players an opportunity to play professionally without having to travel to USA.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
i say this because i feel with bettman calling the shots, i don't see canadian nhl teams have a chance to win..

i believe its time for canadians to create their own professional hockey league just like the CFL...

in this professional league, the salaries will be lower and the ticket prices will be affordable for families...

i say to canadians let the NHL go with its pro american business mindset...and embrace a new league that will cater to hockey crazed canadians..
I started a select wrestling league a few years back, exclusive to my street. There's old Mrs. Ellis (97, but tough as nails), the Fitzgerald twins (11, but very spirited fighters both), and little asthmatic Charlie Edwards (125 lbs on a good day but super enthusiastic - we kind of let him join out of kindness).

We go at it each Saturday night and have such a laugh. Sometimes neighbors from the next street over come over an watch.

Of course because I am the big dog, I kick ass and have been undefeated for 6 years. I was suspended the first year because I dislocated the shoulder of little Barbara Fitzgerald who was just 5 at the time but I still call bullshit on that.

Anyway, you go ahead with your select league and don't let the haters hate. Take it from me, it's good fun and the Championships are awesome.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I started a select wrestling league a few years back, exclusive to my street. There's old Mrs. Ellis (97, but tough as nails), the Fitzgerald twins (11, but very spirited fighters both), and little asthmatic Charlie Edwards (125 lbs on a good day but super enthusiastic - we kind of let him join out of kindness).

We go at it each Saturday night and have such a laugh. Sometimes neighbors from the next street over come over an watch.

Of course because I am the big dog, I kick ass and have been undefeated for 6 years. I was suspended the first year because I dislocated the shoulder of little Barbara Fitzgerald who was just 5 at the time but I still call bullshit on that.

Anyway, you go ahead with your select league and don't let the haters hate. Take it from me, it's good fun and the Championships are awesome.
*lightly coughs in an otherwise completely silent room*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad