Is Cale Makar a generational talent?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
He is small and can get overpowered against bigger and stronger forwards.

I have seen it happen in the playoffs whenever Makar faces teams with bigger forwards and stronger forechecks.

He can obviously improve since he is so young.

But his lack of size and physical strength is something he will have to find a way to compensate for if he ever should be considered amongst the "generational class".

Makar is starting to become over-rated by fans and the media, and that is unfair for him considering how young he is. People are rating him as the best thing since Orr, and he isn't that. Not yet, at least.

Let things play out before anointing him with such hype and status.

Tell me you haven’t watched Cale Makar, without actually telling me you haven’t watched Cale Makar.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Not yet. Has to win championship(s) and a full trophy mantle. It's possible, but he's still so young. Many players with high pedigree at this age that have all of a sudden declined or stopped developing. Remember both Ekblad and Myers won the Calder. Lots of talk them bring hall of fame defenseman. Doesn't look like that anymore, at all

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This part seems really unlikely as Fox was on the nice for 17 PPGF and Makar for 27, not a huge difference there.

Makar had 27 ESP in 57 games for the Calder and Fox had 29 in 70 games.

Makar was definitely better on the PP in their rookie years and probably would have won due to point totals even if Fox played more there, but I think Fox was probably the better overall ES player that year, despite the points. Makar wasn't as dominant as he was this year at ES.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Uh no
Come back when Makar can beat the #2 dman by 50% more points or can remain top 3 point scorer for next 5 yrs then we can talk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Amazing start to his career but there hasn't been a generational talent on defence since Orr. Its a high bar.

Think Lindström was very near. Especially that longevity was unreal. Generational longevity for sure.

Orr was killed by injuries, same as Karlsson.

People tried to hurt Lidström, but couldn't do it. He just evaded from the contact.

Laperriere was the only successor, getting him out for 6 games. Still, that season ended up for s Stanley Cup win as a Captain.

Last edited:

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Wouldn't "Generational Talent" be the most talented player seen over the course of say, 20-30 years? So if he isn't more talented than McDavid then it becomes a pretty quick no, correct?

For "Generational D-man" the question gets a little more interesting. I think Makar has a higher talent level than any D we've seen in 20+ years, and he might very well prove to be a better player than any D in that span. Time will tell.

I few a lot of people miss this first part of the argument. I see the second part but if feel if you start micro managing the term “generational” (ie defenceman) then you dilute the value of the term. Ie generational skater, grinder or everyone’s favourite “intangibles”. IMO the term is for the elite of the elite and far beyond all star/superstar. Just my opinion though.
To answer the question, no he’s not.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
How long does a generation span? We’ve seen Orr, Howe, Gretzky,Lemieux, Maybe Lindros if he wasn’t hurt and now Mcdavid. If Karlsson wasn’t generational then Makar isn’t either because I expect Makar to be a Karlsson level d man because there will be times he will be the second best player in the league on any given night and there will be times he gets out shined by other young d men in the league, but that’s no different then Bourque and Lidstrom throughout their respective careers

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
We need to stop using the term generational so loosely. If we’re talking generational, we’re talking Crosby, Gretzky, Lemieux, Ovechkin, Orr etc… Players who have played head and shoulders above their peers, and have done it consistently over their careers. Makar has the tools to be that type of player imo, but there’s still a long way before we can even consider that.

The only “generational” type talent in the game right now is McDavid. Crosby is elite, but nowhere near where he used to be, same with Ovi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad