Is Auston Matthews the greatest goal-scorer in hockey history?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
It's not an unreasonable question. He is most certainly in the conversation.

He's ahead of most of the all-time great goal scorers in goals/game. Ignoring numbers 3 and 4 on the list below, who played almost a century ago, Matthews is only behind Bossy and Lemieux.

View attachment 766593

He is well ahead of his contemporaries who are considered great goal scorers - McDavid, Pastrnak, Draisaital, Connor, Rantanen.

View attachment 766592

So if you accept that Matthews is the greatest goal scorer of his generation, because it's fairly obvious he is, then it's a matter of comparing eras to answer the question of who is the greatest in history.

As I stated above, Matthews is definitely in the conversation, if he continues producing.
This is a drastic fall from grace from Matthews average goals after his first game played. Lets revisit these averages in 10 years

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Nobody can predict how long Matthews will play, nor how soon or quickly his goal scoring ability will diminish.

What we can say with certainty is he is the best of his generation, unless you'd care to make the case for McDavid, Pasta, et al being superior. Matthews is in his 8th season of historically elite goal scoring. At what point is one allowed to compare him to the all-time greats?
When he is closer to 40 than he is to 30 and his career arc is just about over. He's been good but lots of things both good and bad can happen over the next 10 years that completely changes how people view him. He could be the greatest of all time by the end of it, he could also take a couple of bad slashes and basically reduce his hands to rubble as well.

We have plenty of time to figure it out.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

He's ahead of most of the all-time great goal scorers in goals/game. Ignoring numbers 3 and 4 on the list below, who played almost a century ago, Matthews is only behind Bossy and Lemieux.

View attachment 766593

He is well ahead of his contemporaries who are considered great goal scorers - McDavid, Pastrnak, Draisaital, Connor, Rantanen.

View attachment 766592

So if you accept that Matthews is the greatest goal scorer of his generation, because it's fairly obvious he is, then it's a matter of comparing eras to answer the question of who is the greatest in history.

As I stated above, Matthews is definitely in the conversation, if he continues producing.
Fair enough but the OP is well you know.....

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden

View attachment 766593

View attachment 766592

Lol. Dude, you are comparing a guy in his prime to people who have retired. That's irrelevant.

Then you are comparing Matthews to a 38- year old Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby (not a goalscorer) and like Kyle Connor who never even scored 50.

The thing about being the greatest EVER is that you have to do it for a very long time. Matthews might, but he hasn't. If he does, awesome. But chances are he wont.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

View attachment 766593

View attachment 766592

Didn’t #99 score 92 one year?

Reactions: nonzerochance

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Is Auston Matthews the greatest goal-scorer in hockey history?

I have seen some Matthews fans put forth this hypothesis but I am not sure.

I think Lemieux, both Hulls, Ovechkin, etc. rate as better goal-scorers.
not even close!

but you knew that when you made the thread lol

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
When the last elite forward you watched is now in a yellowing picture frame
nope.....the poster was talking about greatest goal scorer. Anderchuck was the last leaf to score 50 in a season till Matthews did it.

Yup , some of us are so old we actually watched the leafs get to a third round.
With Anderchuck !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad