Is Auston Matthews the greatest goal-scorer in hockey history?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
It's not an unreasonable question. He is most certainly in the conversation.

He's ahead of most of the all-time great goal scorers in goals/game. Ignoring numbers 3 and 4 on the list below, who played almost a century ago, Matthews is only behind Bossy and Lemieux.

View attachment 766593

He is well ahead of his contemporaries who are considered great goal scorers - McDavid, Pastrnak, Draisaital, Connor, Rantanen.

View attachment 766592

So if you accept that Matthews is the greatest goal scorer of his generation, because it's fairly obvious he is, then it's a matter of comparing eras to answer the question of who is the greatest in history.

As I stated above, Matthews is definitely in the conversation, if he continues producing.

It is disingenuous to compare a player who's career hasn't finished with players who's careers finished decades ago and spanned multiple decades. With the exception of Ovi, serious goal regression occurs in the 30s. Matthews is 26.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
It is disingenuous to compare a player who's career hasn't finished with players who's careers finished decades ago and spanned multiple decades. With the exception of Ovi, serious goal regression occurs in the 30s. Matthews is 26.
Nobody can predict how long Matthews will play, nor how soon or quickly his goal scoring ability will diminish.

What we can say with certainty is he is the best of his generation, unless you'd care to make the case for McDavid, Pasta, et al being superior. Matthews is in his 8th season of historically elite goal scoring. At what point is one allowed to compare him to the all-time greats?

Reactions: Sundinisagod

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Nope. probably best post 2016. Not even close to ever.

He's obviously not the greatest no, but depends what you mean by close.

In my opinion he's well on his way to being a top 10 goal scorer of all time.

Tier 1 - top 4 of all time

Ovechkin/Gretzky/Mario Lemieux/Bobby Hull

That's probably my order for greatest, but it can vary. For greatest I probably have Ovechkin #1 and Gretzky #2, and for "best" I still have Mario #1. But these 4 are tier 1, the greatest.

Tier 2 - #5 and 6 all-time

Maurice Richard/Gordie Howe

The Rocket might be the greatest playoff goal-scorer of all-time, and we know how good Gordie was. 800+ career goals.

Tier 3 - #7-10 all time

Mike Bossy/Phil Esposito/Brett Hull/Pavel Bure

Both Bossy and Bure might have done a bit better without injuries, but as it is, I have them ranked 7th and 10th all-time.

Coming back to Auston Matthews - I feel extremely confident he'll surpass Pavel Bure all-time at #10, so entering tier 3. He's well on his way to 600+ career goals, and even very likely to do 700+. 800+? Way too soon to tell.

I think Matthews has a good chance to reach as high as #7 all-time, so surpassing Bossy as a career greatest goal-scorer. Anything beyond that - seems improbable. It'll come down to how quickly he declines, and it's mostly a guessing game for now.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You haven't seen any Matthews fans suggest this, you just hate the Leafs with every fibre in your body and that's why every single one of your posts and threads is just an attempt to stir shit up.

I'm glad he makes you this salty though, maybe not the greatest goal scorer ever, but definitely of this generation :)

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
Nobody can predict how long Matthews will play, nor how soon or quickly his goal scoring ability will diminish.

Exactly, which is why you shouldn't compare him to players with full careers. Wait until Matthews is done -- in 2035 or however long he plays. Then you can make such a comparison.

Reactions: nonzerochance

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
He might end up there. Really good right now. We’ll see if he can make all the way thru the prime years without lockouts or injuries then thru his 30s scoring at the ovi pace.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
He is in top 13-25 by goalscoring finishes. Needs another 8 top finishes to be the greatest.
1​
Alex Ovechkin
9​
2​
Bobby Hull*
7​
3​
Phil Esposito*
6​
4​
Charlie Conacher*
5​
Gordie Howe*
5​
Maurice Richard*
5​
Wayne Gretzky*
5​
8​
Babe Dye*
4​
9​
Brett Hull*
3​
Mario Lemieux*
3​
Pavel Bure*
3​
Teemu Selänne*
3​
13​
Auston Matthews
2​
Bernie Geoffrion*
2​
Bill Cook*
2​
Bryan Hextall*
2​
Doug Bentley*
2​
Jarome Iginla*
2​
Jean Béliveau*
2​
Joe Malone*
2​
Mike Bossy*
2​
Nels Stewart*
2​
Peter Bondra
2​
Sidney Crosby
2​
Steven Stamkos
2​

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I have seen some Matthews fans put forth this hypothesis but I am not sure.

I think Lemieux, both Hulls, Ovechkin, etc. rate as better goal-scorers.

no.

IMG_0630.gif

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I mean why even ask? The math is there. Talent wise he is among the best ever. Will he endure long enough to join the greats? No one knows.

If the intention was to trigger HF this is not required. Rocket threads give them all they need.

Reactions: pouf pouf

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016

I have seen some Matthews fans put forth this hypothesis but I am not sure.

I think Lemieux, both Hulls, Ovechkin, etc. rate as better goal-scorers.
Are these leafs fans in the room with you right now?

• Haha
Reactions: I am not exposed

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
YES!!! And, he’s also a Selke-level centre with amazing facial hair, a proven playoff performer and worth every single penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!
Selke level. :biglaugh:How do these myths get started?

It would be be nice if once in a while he could actually play like a CENTER, and set his line mates up with, you know, PASSES, leading to scoring opportunities and goals for THEM. In other words, making those players AROUND him better. Incidentally, the truly generational players in the history of the sport are/were equally adept at both scoring goals, AND playmaking/passing ability. :yo:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Selke level. :biglaugh:How do these myths get started?

It would be be nice if once in a while he could actually play like a CENTER, and set his line mates up with, you know, PASSES, leading to scoring opportunities and goals for THEM. In other words, making those players AROUND him better. Incidentally, the truly generational players in the history of the sport are/were equally adept at both scoring goals, AND playmaking/passing ability. :yo:
Clearly you are triggered and spouting self evident falsehoods. Gretzky was a much better playmaker than goal scorer. Go down the list and you will find that in fact none of them are equal at both. This is just an imaginary rule that you tell yourself to feel better.

Also Matthews is in fact quite a good passer. You'd know that if you watched him.

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad