Is Auston Matthews the greatest goal-scorer in hockey history?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Selke level. :biglaugh:How do these myths get started?

It would be be nice if once in a while he could actually play like a CENTER, and set his line mates up with, you know, PASSES, leading to scoring opportunities and goals for THEM. In other words, making those players AROUND him better. Incidentally, the truly generational players in the history of the sport are/were equally adept at both scoring goals, AND playmaking/passing ability. :yo:
Sarcasm - you don’t have that in NA?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Too early to say but it’s definitely possibly.

This generation? Yes easily
Ever? To early and likely not

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Is Auston Matthews the greatest goal-scorer in hockey history?

I have seen some Matthews fans put forth this hypothesis but I am not sure.

I think Lemieux, both Hulls, Ovechkin, etc. rate as better goal-scorers.

Where is Bossy?

Reactions: Gee Wally

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The bolded would be false

I could only ever see this has hyperbole

Leaf fans have said (as have I) that matthews has matched early career Ovechkin in goal scoring.

Gretzky scored 92 goals once

Bossy had almost 10 straight years of 50 goal seasons.

Ovechkin has been scoring goals in his late 30’s that superstars would drool over in their early 20’s.

You’d have to show me leaf fans who say Matthews is the greatest goal scorer of all time. I think you’re projecting

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
Clearly you are triggered and spouting self evident falsehoods. Gretzky was a much better playmaker than goal scorer. Go down the list and you will find that in fact none of them are equal at both. This is just an imaginary rule that you tell yourself to feel better.

Also Matthews is in fact quite a good passer. You'd know that if you watched him.
Triggered? I couldn’t care less. I know that he’ll never win a Stanley Cup, because in the playoffs, teams can clamp down on him defensively, shutting off his shooting lanes, to the point where he should be passing off to his linemates. However, being the middling playmaker that he is, he doesn’t do it.

Dude has 249 assists in 495 games. NOT AN ELITE PASSING CENTER.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Triggered? I couldn’t care less. I know that he’ll never win a Stanley Cup, because in the playoffs, teams can clamp down on him defensively, shutting off his shooting lanes, to the point where he should be passing off to his linemates. However, being the middling playmaker that he is, he doesn’t do it.

1699718523393.png

He just avoids passing to his d-men at the blue line once in the o-zone. It's not McDavid levels of passing, but these are pretty respectable.

(Note : Also, good trolling requires not using caps and emojis.)

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He's obviously the greatest athlete to ever play any game. Better than Jordan, Gretzky, Ali, Woods, Brady, Bolt, Ruth, Federer, Chamberlin, Messi, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: nonzerochance

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He's obviously the greatest athlete to ever play any game. Better than Jordan, Gretzky, Ali, Woods, Brady, Bolt, Ruth, Federer, Chamberlin, Messi, etc.
I thought that Slavin has taken over top spot?

• Haha
Reactions: Kupo

Strangle

May 4, 2009
He’s not even the greatest goal scorer in the league.

There is no way you can say this with any sort of confidence or authority.

Matthews has just as much, if not more, of a claim to that that anyone else in the league

If you have the best shot on the ice, who is better than you to take the shot?

Marner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad