Is Auston Matthews the greatest goal-scorer in hockey history?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
1699807811974.png

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Hard no. Even as a huge matthews Homer, who thinks top 5 at the end of everything could potentially be argued... best ever in history is not going to be a thing. Best ever on the leafs, yes, probably.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
He's one of the greatest ever so far in his short career. To continue to be among the best ever, you have to keep it up throughout a long career. Odds aren't in his favour to continue scoring like he has so far, but time will tell. He doesn't rely on speed or any one particular method to score goals. He scores in so many different ways, so there's no reason why he should decline quickly.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He's one of the greatest ever so far in his short career. To continue to be among the best ever, you have to keep it up throughout a long career. Odds aren't in his favour to continue scoring like he has so far, but time will tell. He doesn't rely on speed or any one particular method to score goals. He scores in so many different ways, so there's no reason why he should decline quickly.
I'd like to see how he does withOUT Marner, JT and Nylander feeding him well placed pucks all game. He's a wonderful scorer / talent, but he's also been blessed / surrounded by many top end playmakers his whole career.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I think he needs to keep it up for at least 10 years before this question is even asked hypothetically, and longer than that for it to even be actually entertained. And I'm a Leafs fan.

He's an amazing goalscorer, no doubt. But consistency matters as much as raw talent and numbers, he needs to get a lot more rockets before this becomes real.

Reactions: Neil Racki

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Ovie,Gretzky,Both Hulls, Bossy, and Esposito Laugh with the exception of Bossy who just rolled over in his grave

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
I'd like to see how he does withOUT Marner, JT and Nylander feeding him well placed pucks all game. He's a wonderful scorer / talent, but he's also been blessed / surrounded by many top end playmakers his whole career.
He did pretty good his rookie year without any of those things you mentioned

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
That's fair / true.
I see what you're saying, although that's part of what makes good players great. They know how to find open ice so their teammates can find them. Having a great passer like Marner sure helps, but an open guy is an open guy. If it's not Marner, someone else will find him, although perhaps not as quick or as often.

Matthews seems to get lost out there sometimes. It's something you can't teach. But still, father time is undefeated, so we'll see. The odds aren't in his favour to ever catch Ovi

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I see what you're saying, although that's part of what makes good players great. They know how to find open ice so their teammates can find them. Having a great passer like Marner sure helps, but an open guy is an open guy. If it's not Marner, someone else will find him, although perhaps not as quick or as often.

Matthews seems to get lost out there sometimes. It's something you can't teach. But still, father time is undefeated, so we'll see. The odds aren't in his favour to ever catch Ovi
I agree.

However, I don't think he scores as easy or as often without Marner on his line 5 on 5 and Marner, JT, Nylander, Reilly on his PP line - which is basically what you said. We'll see over time as JT retires and Nylander goes elsewhere(?). :)

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
Up to the age of 26 Matthews is just as good if not better than Ovechkin who’s considered the greatest goal scorer of all time… so you were saying?

Just about every great goal scorer in NHL history had stats as good as or better than Ovechkin up to the age of 26.

With two exceptions, regression occurs in the 30s. Come back to this thread when Matthews retires in 12 years and not a day sooner.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is more of a legacy question, which is not appropriate for a guy who is like seven years into his career.

We are about a decade early with this question.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Just about every great goal scorer in NHL history had stats as good as or better than Ovechkin up to the age of 26.
To be fair - pretty much all those players also played in higher scoring environments too. When comparing performance relative to his peers (10th/30th place goalscorers), Ovechkin's 2008-2010 3 year peak can go toe-to-toe with most 3 year goalscoring peaks in history (and is better than any 3 year period Matthews has done).

But overall you're right. Ovechkin's real goalscoring only peak was from age 27 to 34 where he won 7 rockets in 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad