Interesting Marner note

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Those might be the dumbest posts I have ever seen

I hope you realize that they don't get them all in the same draft right? All those extra picks will be in the 20's from 2020,21,22,23 drafts. Not to mention players drafted in the 20's take longer to develop if they ever become anything at all. But 22 million in cap space? Because we all know that the most important players on a team are the ones who got signed through UFA, and those contracts never age bad. Just ask John Tavares. The Leafs would become a lottery team again for those 4 years.

But that's okay because we got to walk on stage at the draft a few extra times.
Congrats you just bumped us for the dumbest post

Media claims about negotiations should be taken with a grain of salt, but the rumour was actually 13m x 7.
ya I would take that with a grain of salt. Lol

Reactions: socko

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Actually, you are the one claiming the agent was 'soliciting' offer sheets so the onus is on you to prove that. An article stating that teams were talking to the Marner camp does not prove that his agent was making the rounds asking teams to offer sheet Mitch.

Be honest with yourself here, so you believe there was a dearth of teams interested in Marner?

@The Apologist

I moved the conversation into the Marner thread because I felt this was the more appropriate forum to discuss.

You dismissed my claim, that it was Marner's agent who approached the other teams, with your claim that it was "normal agent work in free agency" for teams to approach agents with offer sheets.

That's easily verifiable or refutable. A quick search reveals that there hasn't been any other offer sheets in recent years, other than the Montreal and Carolina ones I mentioned already. Unless you can provide evidence proving otherwise, then your claim, that it's common practice for teams to approach agents with offer sheets, appears to be in a whole heap of trouble.

And if you're wrong, that teams don't often approach agents with offer sheets, then it's safe to assume Marner's agent approached the other teams.

Other evidence to support my claim:

In February 2019, Marner's agent called off the extension discussions, accusing the Leafs of low-balling Marner.

When negotiations started again that summer, Ferris had not one, but two offer sheets in hand.

The only other free agents to receive offer sheets that summer were Point and Aho. They share the same agent. Which, again, supports my claim that it is the agents approaching the teams, not the other way around.

I'm open to alternatives.

If you can provide anything to back your claim up, that it is common practice for teams to approach agents with offer sheets for RFA's, then I can accept it as fact. Otherwise the opposite must be true, that the agents approached the teams. It has to be one or the other.

There is no other choice.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
You realize that the player who got offer sheeted gets to play for that team too right. And that they are likely going to make that team better? And that the better the team the worse the draft picks will be?

Not sure if you can wrap your brain around that one.
CLB has been a mess for a number of years and as good as Marner is undersized wingers on a team with meh C depth at best would not make them a contender.

Stop being such a TML homer sycophant. We baby our stars and overpay them and wonder why we never win anything.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
2020 - 21st OA pick
2021 - 5th OA Pick
2022 - 6th OA pick
2023 - 3rd OA pick

Take the pick or call the agents bluff.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
yes and no - that is still an insane offer
After what Dubas gave JT, I think other teams (and Marner) knew it would take an insane offer to top what he could get here.

Especially after the Matthews signing.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
After what Dubas gave JT, I think other teams (and Marner) knew it would take an insane offer to top what he could get here.

Especially after the Matthews signing.
Could you imagine what that would have done to the market .. although it could have just been a wtf

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
@The Apologist

I moved the conversation into the Marner thread because I felt this was the more appropriate forum to discuss.

You dismissed my claim, that it was Marner's agent who approached the other teams, with your claim that it was "normal agent work in free agency" for teams to approach agents with offer sheets.

That's easily verifiable or refutable. A quick search reveals that there hasn't been any other offer sheets in recent years, other than the Montreal and Carolina ones I mentioned already. Unless you can provide evidence proving otherwise, then your claim, that it's common practice for teams to approach agents with offer sheets, appears to be in a whole heap of trouble.

And if you're wrong, that teams don't often approach agents with offer sheets, then it's safe to assume Marner's agent approached the other teams.

Other evidence to support my claim:

In February 2019, Marner's agent called off the extension discussions, accusing the Leafs of low-balling Marner.

When negotiations started again that summer, Ferris had not one, but two offer sheets in hand.

The only other free agents to receive offer sheets that summer were Point and Aho. They share the same agent. Which, again, supports my claim that it is the agents approaching the teams, not the other way around.

I'm open to alternatives.

If you can provide anything to back your claim up, that it is common practice for teams to approach agents with offer sheets for RFA's, then I can accept it as fact. Otherwise the opposite must be true, that the agents approached the teams. It has to be one or the other.

There is no other choice.
Maybe I missed but I haven't seen you show any proof for this claim. As far as I can tell, there's no way of knowing who initiated the offer sheet discussions, it's all speculation.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Maybe I missed but I haven't seen you show any proof for this claim. As far as I can tell, there's no way of knowing who initiated the offer sheet discussions, it's all speculation.

Thanks for the response.

There's no need for a dead body when there is a motive, no alibi, and a smoking gun with fingerprints on it. The trail of evidence is fairly conclusive. And it all points in one direction.

But I'll let you decide for yourself what makes more sense given the information we have been provided.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Thanks for the response.

There's no need for a dead body when there is a motive, no alibi, and a smoking gun with fingerprints on it. The trail of evidence is fairly conclusive. And it all points in one direction.

But I'll let you decide for yourself what makes more sense given the information we have been provided.
Yeah you kinda need a body in most cases

I could totally see an agent approaching though

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Yeah you kinda need a body in most cases

I could totally see an agent approaching though

The amazing thing is that none of this has any impact on the point I was trying to make in the Nylander thread where all this started, which is basically that these guys are greedy and used dirty negotiation tactics to extort the most amount of money they could from a young, inexperienced, rookie GM just fresh on the job.

Good grief.

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
The amazing thing is that none of this has any impact on the point I was trying to make in the Nylander thread where all this started, which is basically that these guys are greedy and used dirty negotiation tactics to extort the most amount of money they could from a young, inexperienced, rookie GM just fresh on the job.

Good grief.
Yeah i dont remember too much about the marner talks but if they used offer sheets to get more it is dirty pool

Nylanders holdout pissed me off and after he signed it was "all that for that?"

Maybe that is the seed for me finding these guys not to be very likeable.. i have come around on nylander a bit .. marner i dont care for and outside of his abilities (when hes on) i dont care for matthews either

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If you honest to god think any team offered a 13 x 7 offer sheet to Marner you're completely out to lunch and quite frankly pretty gullible.

Aho was offered a five-year, $42.27 million offer sheet from Montreal, that basically gave the skinny on offer sheets. But yeah someone definitely offered 13 x 7 to Mitch :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Offer sheets may have been forth coming but Marner was never going to sign one.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Yeah i dont remember too much about the marner talks but if they used offer sheets to get more it is dirty pool

Nylanders holdout pissed me off and after he signed it was "all that for that?"

Maybe that is the seed for me finding these guys not to be very likeable.. i have come around on nylander a bit .. marner i dont care for and outside of his abilities (when hes on) i dont care for matthews either

Here's some a link that tells all about the dirty tactics Marner's camp used:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Except all those picks would be worse, because you're adding a top tier player to that team.
Seems pretty obvious that. Some people lack a grasp of the real world

Holy f***. That columnist is up there with Tanner. The opposite of an appeal to authority

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Thanks for the article.. but it did remind me why i dont read 99% of that stuff. The value of that entire thing was really only a paragraph worth

I forgot about the switzerland thing..

10x8 and he would have been golden

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If you honest to god think any team offered a 13 x 7 offer sheet to Marner you're completely out to lunch and quite frankly pretty gullible.

Aho was offered a five-year, $42.27 million offer sheet from Montreal, that basically gave the skinny on offer sheets. But yeah someone definitely offered 13 x 7 to Mitch :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Columbus just lost Panarin. Very believable it was in that neighborhood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad