Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm an all Michigan sports fan, college and pro, except for the Red Wings. This is a continuance of disgusting things that have happened at the UofM and MSU as well as other NCAA schools incuding accusations of the OSU wrestling program that may or may not ever be adjudicated. It's not only in hockey. Why am I surprised by the sheer number of disgusting incidents that have been uncovered over the past couple decades? There are many really horrible people out there.

Reactions: Fro

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I'm an all Michigan sports fan, college and pro, except for the Red Wings. This is a continuance of disgusting things that have happened at the UofM and MSU as well as other NCAA schools incuding accusations of the OSU wrestling program that may or may not ever be adjudicated. It's not only in hockey. Why am I surprised by the sheer number of disgusting incidents that have been uncovered over the past couple decades? There are many really horrible people out there.
I liked only to agree...terrible things happening in amateur sports

Reactions: Byrral

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Kind of puts into context the story about how blanks got scholarship money his senior year
And became team captain since the prior one left school. He certainly seems to have deserved everything’s he’s worked for but it seems like you better stay on coach’s good side or you’ll be blackballed.

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

Thanks for sharing.

I know Cam and Freddie play...and Jarmo...but was not aware Jody, Jean-Luc and Boller play. Whose the guy on the far left? Those guys may be noobs seeing how they all have house Selkirk paddles...looks like only Cam is playing with something different.

I play regularly...like 3-4 times per week. Tons of fun and if competitive a decent workout (look how sweaty Jody is). Except right now since I had rotator cuff repair three weeks ago and can't do squat :mad:

I have suggested a few times CBJ Foundation could do a charity pro-am tournament to raise money. So many people playing these days. I haven't gotten there to check out the facilities (since I am on IR) but perhaps Pickle Shack could host it.

I wonder how many current CBJ play.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I think you're on to something with CBJ alumni doing something. Great idea
They could easily protect the CBJers by making it a 4.0+ tournament (everyone teams up with a pro). Hell there are far more than enough 4.0s just in Dublin when I played there last year. I'd go down to watch (I'm just a 3.5 myself).

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Great podcast with JD here. He does confirm the reason he was away for dev camp and free agency was because he got COVID at the draft but he's doing fine.

The exit interview part from 32-33 minute mark on was quite interesting. JD said they have to be honest with players in these meetings, and sometimes even tell them you're not going to play in this league if you don't start doing this and that in off-season... and then he went (paraphrasing): "If we have a guy living in Calgary or in Stockholm, and we tell them they gotta really work on their conditioning, body strength etc., and they respond they're going to do that... we gotta send somebody there in July to figure out if they’re doing the right things"

I have a couple of questions regarding this:

Have they sent anyone to check on how the players are following their training programs or is he just saying they should do that?

Did he choose Calgary and Stockholm as examples on purpose there? If it was on purpose, who is he referring to? Bean is from Calgary, wonder where does Sillinger spend his summers? Other Canadians on the team are from either Ontario or BC. Stockholm is of course in Sweden, and Bemstrom and Boqvist are the only younger Swedes we have at the moment.

Reactions: thebus88 and LJ7

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The exit interview part from 32-33 minute mark on was quite interesting. JD said they have to be honest with players in these meetings, and sometimes even tell them you're not going to play in this league if you don't start doing this and that in off-season... and then he went (paraphrasing): "If we have a guy living in Calgary or in Stockholm, and we tell them they gotta really work on their conditioning, body strength etc., and they respond they're going to do that... we gotta send somebody there in July to figure out if they’re doing the right things"

Have they sent anyone to check on how the players are following their training programs or is he just saying they should do that?

Did he choose Calgary and Stockholm as examples on purpose there? If it was on purpose, who is he referring to? Bean is from Calgary, wonder where does Sillinger spend his summers? Other Canadians on the team are from either Ontario or BC. Stockholm is of course in Sweden, and Bemstrom and Boqvist are the only younger Swedes we have at the moment.
I suspect you/we want this to mean more than it does, which is still significant. Calgary and Stockholm might be locations where we have players, but I doubt he is using the format to send a less-than-subtle message.

And I suspect we do send someone just to touch base and see how things are going. But it’s not likely Jarmo or even Nash. We have player development people, maybe even scouts who are already home-based in these areas.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

They do, there's a few "development coaches" that do this. I could imagine Dorsett going to Calgary and Jarkko Ruutu going to Stockholm.

Did he choose Calgary and Stockholm as examples on purpose there? If it was on purpose, who is he referring to?

I think he's inadvertently referring to Bean and Boqvist. They've already mentioned before that those two in particular need to pick up the strength and conditioning.

Bean is from Calgary, wonder where does Sillinger spend his summers?

I think his family does the summers in Calgary and winters in AZ thing, could be wrong though. In any case it doesn't sound like that is who JD had in mind, unless he was talking about skating.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I remember when JD straight up told Savard he wouldn’t make it if he didn’t commit himself to conditioning. And Savard said it was the moment he turned his career around
It doesn’t need to be said but that’s never stopped me before…

It’s not the saying that turns careers around but how a guy responds to it. And then not even what the player says in response but what he does.

Reactions: thebus88 and Fro

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I remember when JD straight up told Savard he wouldn’t make it if he didn’t commit himself to conditioning. And Savard said it was the moment he turned his career around
Or that time Jarmo told Jonathan Marchessault he was essentially too fat to play in the NHL if he didn't take conditioning seriously and then traded him to Tampa because I don't think he had bought into that yet.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Or that time Jarmo told Jonathan Marchessault he was essentially too fat to play in the NHL if he didn't take conditioning seriously and then traded him to Tampa because I don't think he had bought into that yet.
Makes Jarmo look stupid for dumping a guy who became an all-star until you realize he was right.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Ah, Marchessault...a guy who would go on to become a 30-goal scorer in Florida, be part of a side-deal Vegas Expansion trade, and score 30 again. His 160 career goals since leaving Columbus would rank 3rd all-time here (behind only Nash and Atkinson).

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Ah, Marchessault...a guy who would go on to become a 30-goal scorer in Florida, be part of a side-deal Vegas Expansion trade, and score 30 again. His 160 career goals since leaving Columbus would rank 3rd all-time here (behind only Nash and Atkinson).
CBJ team of active ex-Jackets

Panarin Dubois Atkinson
Duchene Johansen Bjorkstrand
Duclair Marchessault Anderson
Saad Wennberg Karlsson

Holden Jones
Cole Savard
Murray Nutivaara

Bobrovsky
Forsberg

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Many years ago, someone made a graph/chart of how each player in the organization was acquired -> a flow chart of sorts. I haven't seen one like it updated in several seasons.

It got me thinking. With the likelihood that Scott Harrington's career here is done, the Rick Nash CBJ tree has come to an end.

-2002 draft: Rick Nash (1st overall, traded up...but basically for nothing)
-Nash was then traded in 2012, along with Steven Delisle and a 2013 3rd round pick - which was spent on Pavel Buchnevich - for Tim Erixon, Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, and a 2013 1st round pick (Kerby Rychel)
-Brandon Dubinsky played out his days in Columbus and has retired
-Tim Erixon was traded for Jeremy Morin
-Artem Anisimov was traded, along with Marko Dano, Jeremy Morin, Corey Tropp, and a 2016 4th round pick for Alex Broadhurst, Brandon Saad, and Michael Paliotta
-Paliotta played out his contract and wasn't qualified (and has since retired from professional hockey, I believe)
-Broadhurst was traded for future considerations in 2019
-Brandon Saad was traded, along with Anton Forsberg and a 2018 5th round pick for Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, and a 2017 6th pick (Jonathan Davidsson)
-Artemi Panarin played out his contract and left via free agency in 2019
-Tyler Motte was traded with Jussi Jokinen for Thomas Vanek in 2018 -> Vanek played out that season and then walked in free agency
-Jonathan Davidson was traded, along with Vitaly Abramov and a 2019 1st round pick for Matt Duchene and Julius Bergman
-Matt Duchene played out his contract and walked in free agency
-Bergman was traded, along with a 2019 4th round pick and a 2019 7th round pick for Adam McQuaid
-McQuaid was injured and has since retired
-Back to the original Nash trade...the only remaining piece I haven't mentioned is the 2013 1st round pick, Kerby Rychel -> Rychel was traded essentially straight up for Scott Harrington (a conditional 5th was included, but the conditions weren't met)
-And it appears Scott Harrington is moving on from the Blue Jackets organization

Meaning, this will be our first season with no player on the roster who has any connection to that Rick Nash trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad