Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Panarin about contracts with Gaudreau and Laine:

Are there a lot of players coming to Columbus? Apparently they made cinemas there. 😎

Many Russian advocated Columbus although there was no need, since it's a partial quote, taken out of context in the video, and all the sites did it. I'm just posting this as a sample of the Russian reaction.

Video (about 8:55)

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If we're posting historic, goalie stickthrowing, Bruins OT game winners, how could you forget the first-ever OT Winner?

Sanderson, the hey song goal celebration, no chili chant, no Rimer. Nostalgia.
My first and last game in-person with my grandfather. We were in the Handicap seats on the ice right in front of this goal.

"Shot him out of a cannon"... If they only knew.

By the way, I was at this game. Dave King and some of the boys came over to Buca's over the game. Come to think of it, I don't think I've been there since. (shrug)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Panarin about contracts with Gaudreau and Laine:

Many Russian advocated Columbus although there was no need, since it's a partial quote, taken out of context in the video, and all the sites did it. I'm just posting this as a sample of the Russian reaction.

Video (about 8:55)

Since I don't speak Russian and I think some things are getting lost in translation I don't know what any of this means. Is he making fun of Columbus?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Since we have a couple of former Michigan players.

This depresses me. I enjoyed watching Red's teams back when powers and Pearson were the assistants but this has no place anywhere.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

The Athletic ranks us 30th and said we would be dead last if we did not get the Johnny Hockey contract. They also said trading Bjorkstand and not a Nyquist makes it worst considering we don't have top 6 scoring depth (I am paraphrasing)

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio

The Athletic ranks us 30th and said we would be dead last if we did not get the Johnny Hockey contract. They also said trading Bjorkstand and not a Nyquist makes it worst considering we don't have top 6 scoring depth (I am paraphrasing)
Meh. If we win more it would be great value.

It was basically a list of winning teams on top and loosing teams on bottom

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

I don’t even have to click on this to know it’s a Dom L article.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Meh. If we win more it would be great value.

It was basically a list of winning teams on top and loosing teams on bottom
Yep. This. Dom Luszczyszyn doesn't seem to bother to correct that particular persistent error. I'm half convinced at this point that it's because he thinks that's an indicator that his models are working.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Yep. This. Dom Luszczyszyn doesn't seem to bother to correct that particular persistent error. I'm half convinced at this point that it's because he thinks that's an indicator that his models are working.
But isn’t that the point? Unless you think hockey is completely luck/rolling of dice.

Although I do think that Don’s model is a bit off because it pretty much only about things like play driving and defense. Which I’m not saying aren’t important, because they are, but his model doesn’t really look at balance of roster/diversity of roles well. Every player is evaluated against the same criteria.

So a guy like Laine who is terrible defensively and not great as a play driver doesn’t look good. But he’s not getting paid for that, he’s getting paid because you can count on only one hand the amount of people better in the world than him at hitting a vulcanized piece of rubber into a 24-square-foot net. So put him with Johnny and let Gaudreau handle the play driving and play making, and let Laine take care of the part of the game in which he’s top-5 in the world.

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

Will be funny to see Mason Marchment's new contract for example go from good to bad from one season not playing for Florida. Also can't wait to see Paul Maurice make the entire Florida roster have worse contracts.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But isn’t that the point? Unless you think hockey is completely luck/rolling of dice.

Although I do think that Don’s model is a bit off because it pretty much only about things like play driving and defense.
Actually incorrect; his model is focused strongly on puck possession and elements of same, since that's what's readily measurable with publicly available information. Players who do their best work without the puck aren't really measurable, and they try to fake it by inferring measurements based off of what happens when they're on the ice, and attempt to isolate that from everyone ELSE on the ice by paying closer attention to those moments when different Other Folks are on the ice.

I'd be less grumpy about him and others Doing The Best They Can With What They Have (anything more detailed would be extremely labor-intensive and costly, and that's likely a large part of why teams pay their own in-house statisticians) if they were more willing to acknowledge the weak points of those models rather than speak as though they're gospel.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Actually incorrect; his model is focused strongly on puck possession and elements of same, since that's what's readily measurable with publicly available information. Players who do their best work without the puck aren't really measurable, and they try to fake it by inferring measurements based off of what happens when they're on the ice, and attempt to isolate that from everyone ELSE on the ice by paying closer attention to those moments when different Other Folks are on the ice.

I'd be less grumpy about him and others Doing The Best They Can With What They Have (anything more detailed would be extremely labor-intensive and costly, and that's likely a large part of why teams pay their own in-house statisticians) if they were more willing to acknowledge the weak points of those models rather than speak as though they're gospel.
I trust that you know the formula better than I do. My main point though wasn't about what's in the formula, or even that its criteria is "bad" in a vacuum, but that it doesn't evaluate diversity / playing styles that complement each other well; it just looks pretty much at all players under the same criteria in a vacuum instead of how all the players's varying strengths fit together in a puzzle.

Yeah, a line of three Patrik Laine clones is probably not going to be a great line (and probably be an especially bad first line compared to a league-average first line). But having a guy like Laine with players that can complement him 5-on-5 (not to mention having a guy like Laine on the PP) is extremely, extremely valuable and dangerous.

However, on the flip side, also acting like it's some sorta weird "gotcha" that Dom's model has the better teams higher-up seems strange to me. I'm not sure why it's so odd / problematic that the teams that he has higher on his better contracts list tend to be the better team; if anything, that shows his model is pretty good and we should perhaps be a bit more concerned than we are about this upcoming season. But we'll find out soon enough.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
To be clear, it’s been proven that the “info” and “data” plugged into these models is INACCURATE.

Also, they show WHAT has happened NOT WHY it has happened…

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To be clear, it’s been proven that the “info” and “data” plugged into these models is INACCURATE.
Has it? I know they're jumping to somewhat too firm conclusions based on a heck of a lot of blind dead reckoning, but I'd not gotten any indications that the information they were using was inaccurate; just that it was inadequate.

Also, they show WHAT has happened NOT WHY it has happened…
They're attempting to surmise "why" and have very little to work with. My objection isn't that they're trying - it's that some of them (such as Luszczyszyn) put toegether their articles as though their latest work is the next best thing to gospel. Which is, frankly, absurd.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Since we have a couple of former Michigan players.
An update: Pearson out as coach.

Reactions: CBJx614

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
An update: Pearson out as coach.

Good. Stuff like this it's embarrassing and has no place

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad