Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Arizona would like half a kingdom and a princess too. And where is it written that Chychrun will show his qualities? Besides, there was interest until the draft and the Gaudreau signing, now I doubt it.

Yeah I don't think Chychrun is high end. My point was that the cap is a non factor. And we have the assets too, it's just a question of whether the deal is good enough. Chychrun isn't elite or anything close to it.

What would a package for Chychurn even look like? I'm guessing Gavrikov goes back as he's due a raise soon that'll be near Chychurn's cap hit. A young forward like Chinakov or Marchenko? A young D like Ceulemens? A first rounder, obviously.

Gavy is older and nearing UFA, they'd prefer much younger players like Boqvist, Ceulemans, Chinakhov, Marchenko, etc... I don't think a 1st rounder would be required if we're sending Ceulemans and probably not if we're sending two of the other young pieces. Chychrun is not a player + top prospect + 1st caliber asset, so I'm confident that AZ will have to take less.

You'll have to excuse me as someone not big on Boqvist, but he makes the most sense to move because there is only so much offensive and PP time to go around.

Its the price. If a potential deal includes Jiricek/Mateychuk/Ceulemans I say walk away.

I'd consider including Ceulemans. Do you think his realistic ceiling is much above Chychrun?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah I don't think Chychrun is high end. My point was that the cap is a non factor. And we have the assets too, it's just a question of whether the deal is good enough. Chychrun isn't elite or anything close to it.

Gavy is older and nearing UFA, they'd prefer much younger players like Boqvist, Ceulemans, Chinakhov, Marchenko, etc... I don't think a 1st rounder would be required if we're sending Ceulemans and probably not if we're sending two of the other young pieces. Chychrun is not a player + top prospect + 1st caliber asset, so I'm confident that AZ will have to take less.

You'll have to excuse me as someone not big on Boqvist, but he makes the most sense to move because there is only so much offensive and PP time to go around.

I'd consider including Ceulemans. Do you think his realistic ceiling is much above Chychrun?
Ceiling? Maybe a bit or maybe not even higher at all. Hes still growing as a player and last season was a pretty major step so Id like to see that through. Keep the big talented righty.

I get that adding an established defender takes away the risk of stagnated development and makes the team better now but not to the level id pay the cost. Friedman and Marek I belireve were throwing the old Brent Burns trade as a model. Established former 1st rounder (Bean/Boqvist), recent 1st rounder (Ceulemans) and a 1st. Im kind of in the same boat as you where I think some think too highly of Chychrun and that price is crazy.

This team is 2-3 years of development of Johnson, Sillinger,Jiricek, Mateychuk before they start their real push as a contender anyway and I dont think Chychrun changes that

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ceiling? Maybe a bit or maybe not even higher at all. Hes still growing as a player and last season was a pretty major step so Id like to see that through. Keep the big talented righty.

On principle I would expect to acquire a current piece by moving a futures piece with an equivalent or higher ceiling. The other club is going to need some compensation for the extra years of wait and much higher risk.

I get that adding an established defender takes away the risk of stagnated development and makes the team better now but not to the level id pay the cost. Friedman and Marek I belireve were throwing the old Brent Burns trade as a model. Established former 1st rounder (Bean/Boqvist), recent 1st rounder (Ceulemans) and a 1st. Im kind of in the same boat as you where I think some think too highly of Chychrun and that price is crazy.

Agreed.

This team is 2-3 years of development of Johnson, Sillinger,Jiricek, Mateychuk before they start their real push as a contender anyway and I dont think Chychrun changes that

Our best assets are ready to go now and Johnson might not be far from his prime. I don't think we should expect our other kids to become Gaudreau/Laine/Werenski level players. That makes me want to go for it this year or next. We're not like Detroit or Buffalo where all the top talent is under 23.

But one thing that makes me disinclined to pick up Chychrun is that it is our D that stands to improve a lot naturally as the prospects join and young players get experience. I'm tempted to wait and see for another year.

Reactions: MAHJ71 and LJ7

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

This was very good. Saw some clips of the amateur scouts discussing guys. Was interesting to see a glimpse of how they operate. Jarmo was a gold mine towards the end during the Gaudreau part. He had some good quotes that didn't make the preview video they released. The part with Elvis signing things for kids and fans put a smile on my face as well. Might be my favorite episode of the series so far and that is a high bar to clear. They do great with this.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

This was very good. Saw some clips of the amateur scouts discussing guys. Was interesting to see a glimpse of how they operate. Jarmo was a gold mine towards the end during the Gaudreau part. He had some good quotes that didn't make the preview video they released. The part with Elvis signing things for kids and fans put a smile on my face as well. Might be my favorite episode of the series so far and that is a high bar to clear. They do great with this.

Appears to confirm that we had no real contact with Gaudreau until Gudbranson signed. We would have had no idea of his interest.

Reactions: CBJx614 and LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Appears to confirm that we had no real contact with Gaudreau until Gudbranson signed. We would have had no idea of his interest.

I found the connection between the Gudbransons and the Gaudreaus (perhaps especially the wives) to be a very plausible explanation of how the Gaudreaus became interested in Columbus in the first place.

Reactions: LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Agreed. My only issue with it was I really wanted to see more from the scouting/draft and Johnny signing. I didn't think the scouting meetings would get covered as much as they were, which was nice, but it would have been nice to hear some actual scouting reports from some of the guys (namely Jiricek and Mateychuk) rather than just tidbits. And on the draft floor I wish we saw Jarmo working the phones and talking with his staff a bit like we saw in previous draft day editions. Obviously I don't know if he took many/any calls during the draft, but if he did I would have liked to hear it.

With regards to JG, the episode was called "The Signing" and they spent maybe 5 minutes on it. I was expecting to hear more throughout the day. Starting with the Gudbranson one, which wasn't expanded on at all from the clips we previously saw in the summer, and working its way to when we officially knew we were in the running, to the internal discussions (we saw some of these, I just wanted a bit more), and finally the signing and all that stuff.

I liked the segment with the rebuilt locker rooms and Elvis being at the fan center, that was fun. But they shouldn't have been the meat of the episode. I felt like that took up most of the time, which shouldn't be the case on an episode called "The Signing".

Still solid though. Love the series. Thought about opening a thread specifically for it but wasn't sure how many people were watching/interested.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed. My only issue with it was I really wanted to see more from the scouting/draft and Johnny signing. I didn't think the scouting meetings would get covered as much as they were, which was nice, but it would have been nice to hear some actual scouting reports from some of the guys (namely Jiricek and Mateychuk) rather than just tidbits. And on the draft floor I wish we saw Jarmo working the phones and talking with his staff a bit like we saw in previous draft day editions. Obviously I don't know if he took many/any calls during the draft, but if he did I would have liked to hear it.

I generally have lower expectations about how much process they want to disclose. The sausage making doesn't always make them look smart.

Better to spend more time showing off the locker room upgrades, which unfortunately for me is completely uninteresting.

Reactions: tunnelvision

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Would absolutely love to listen to scouts talk about the draft in the episodes but they may have several reasons to not reveal too much of what they think about certain prospects.

1) There's a chance scouts' assessments of players don't age well, in other words they potentially don't make them look very smart as major pointed out
2) They want to expose their drafting strategy or philosophy to other teams as little as possible
3) They want to avoid a situation where they've said something about prospect's strengths/weaknesses in the episode which contradicts with what they've told him privately later after the draft. They know players might be following the series. They want to build and maintain trust between players and the organisation
4) In 2013 they didn't filter out stuff of the pre-draft meetings as they've done in the later years. That isn't very surprising when you take into account the fact that majority of the scouting staff was fired later in the summer. What they're showing in the bits are former employees speaking their minds, and not (as much) current "representatives" of the CBJ.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I echo the sentiment to see more of the JG signing and the draft talk but we get what we get... Hopefully next episode will delve a bit into the Oliver situation, maybe even go back to the JG signing because I'm sure they talked about that (freeing up cap) at the table.

But oh my gooood, I love hearing Jarmo having a party side. :D Two off the cuff comments is more than the zero I've heard previously.

Also, Elvis was in the bar watching the draft with fans (17:40)? Gotta love the dude.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I generally have lower expectations about how much process they want to disclose. The sausage making doesn't always make them look smart.

Better to spend more time showing off the locker room upgrades, which unfortunately for me is completely uninteresting.
I just wanted to hear more about what they thought of them rather than “He’s big” and “He’s a blue jacket.”

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I echo the sentiment to see more of the JG signing and the draft talk but we get what we get... Hopefully next episode will delve a bit into the Oliver situation, maybe even go back to the JG signing because I'm sure they talked about that (freeing up cap) at the table.

But oh my gooood, I love hearing Jarmo having a party side. :D Two off the cuff comments is more than the zero I've heard previously.

Also, Elvis was in the bar watching the draft with fans (17:40)? Gotta love the dude.
Unfortunately I think that’s all we’ll get for the offseason stuff. Next one will likely be training camp and the start of the season. I’d love to be wrong though

Reactions: CBJx614

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Id love to know the potential deal around the draft. Yotes fans seem to expect Ceulemans, 1st, Nyquist which is ridiculous.
Marek and Friedman used the old Burns trade as an example which kind of leans towards Bean/Boqvist, Ceulemans and 1st which is even more ridiculous

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Id love to know the potential deal around the draft. Yotes fans seem to expect Ceulemans, 1st, Nyquist which is ridiculous.
Marek and Friedman used the old Burns trade as an example which kind of leans towards Bean/Boqvist, Ceulemans and 1st which is even more ridiculous
I think the drafting of Deton and Jiri have softened my "no to cuelemens" stance...I am leaning towards "I would to bean/boq, high-ish prospect, 2nd/1st if we have to"

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think the drafting of Deton and Jiri have softened my "no to cuelemens" stance...I am leaning towards "I would to bean/boq, high-ish prospect, 2nd/1st if we have to"
Sounds legit to me except we would need to put in some salary most likely. Word is they are more willing to take some on. I'm not sure one of those 2 is enough salary to have some cushion.

Reactions: Fro

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds legit to me except we would need to put in some salary most likely. Word is they are more willing to take some on. I'm not sure one of those 2 is enough salary to have some cushion.

It leaves us with a million plus in cap cushion, closer to two million if Boqvist is going.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It leaves us with a million plus in cap cushion, closer to two million if Boqvist is going.
maybe. Depends on the final roster but I’m not sure they trade Boqvist after just resigning him to an extension. I still think they prefer to add a forward too because we still have a surplus.

MAHJ71

Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I thought someone briefly mentioned it earlier, but I could not find OP ---

I'm not enthusiastic about including a 1st round pick for a player who has only played 60+ games twice in 6 seasons (I guess 5 if you wanna discount covid season).

I would part with Roster player + Prospect(Bean/Boq/Cuelemens) + 2nd rd. pick at most...

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 8.02.05 AM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad