Initial impressions: who 'won' the Blues/Oilers offer sheet saga?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who 'won'?

• Blues for getting the players they wanted

Votes: 157 67.7%
  • Oilers for not paying those players at the cap hits they're signed for plus getting draft picks

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • Penguins for getting a 3rd for a 5th because they had a pick the Blues needed to do the offer sheets

Votes: 78 33.6%

• Total voters

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Pretty big win for St. Louis imo as they got the Oilers two best young players for a second and third round pick.
The rest of the league also won because a top contender is a bit weaker.
I thought Broberg looked like Bouchard was SUPPOSED to look in the finals.

I was impressed with his overall poise and game as the post season progressed

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It's quite funny how people are saying the Oilers lost, yet if last season Oiler fans offered Broberg for a mid-2nd round pick people would have laughed at it.

I'm not happy to see either player go, but that Broberg contract is gross. I do wish we matched the Holloway offer though instead of re-signing washed up Perry
the oilers lost because they mismanaged the cap and left themselves wide open to some team swooping in and stealing two of their best prospects.

It has zero to do with Bromberg contract, if the oil mgt wasn’t so incompetent this would have never happened.

No way for the oil to polish this turd, horrible asset management.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's quite funny how people are saying the Oilers lost, yet if last season Oiler fans offered Broberg for a mid-2nd round pick people would have laughed at it.

I'm not happy to see either player go, but that Broberg contract is gross. I do wish we matched the Holloway offer though instead of re-signing washed up Perry
If non Oiler fans would have suggested the Oilers trade Broberg for a second after the playoffs they would have been laughed at. Three teams were prepared to offer sheet him. It’s funny now that he’s gone some are saying he’s not even worth a second.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Well the Oilers lost because their D looks terrible now.

They have 2 years of McDavid left, and then maybe more, but they are asking him to drag his team to the finals again... would be better if they gave him a decent team to play with, more intriguing to stay.

Holloway was potential, still sucks to lose.

Ceci was a 20 min/night D in the playoffs, they traded him just because?

Broberg is potentially the biggest loss, but Broberg is being paid too much, yes, that was smart on St Loius' part.

What is Edmonton's D looking like right now?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Oilers lose because the loss of 2 players
Blues lose, with the huge overpay.
No winners.
Oilers lose worse though

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Oilers - Lose - The picks weren’t enough

Blues - Lose - They overpaid and it hurts your future negotiations with your players

Penguins - Win - Free pick upgrade

Holloway - Lose - It’s pretty clear he’s pissed about the situation, and didn’t want to leave with how his interview went

Broberg - Win - Gets triple the money he’s worth and gets his trade request dealt with

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The real losers are the team's having to negotiate with their future middling high pedigree RFAs.

That second contract has always been a challenging one that can make or break a player's career. Now there are teams willing to drive up the price of those players to levels rarely seen on players with very little earned reputation.

Blues - Lose - They overpaid and it hurts your future negotiations with your players

Holloway - Lose - It’s pretty clear he’s pissed about the situation with how his interview went

Broberg - Win - Gets triple the money he’s worth and gets his trade request dealt with
Broberg didn't look too thrilled with how it went either. I think both of those guys were convinced that they were more valuable to Edmonton that than they turned out to be.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
After that whole ordeal, the Oilers walked away with Emberson, Podkolzin, Fischer, 2nd, 3rd, and cap space while losing Broberg, Holloway, Ceci, and a 4th

There is a slight chance the Oilers can turn this into a positive depending how Emberson and Podz turn out

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Pens IMO

If those are what the Blues wanted, they should have signed them multi years, not only 2 years IMO

I understand why the Oilers didn't match for Broberg, but why the hell didn't they match for Holloway? Doesn't make sense to me

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Blues. Got two young players they wanted without giving up a whole lot except salary which won’t impact them in the next two years anyways. A really impressive move by Armstrong taking advantage of a cap strapped team. Hopefully it leads to more offer sheets although this situation was unique in many ways.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I thought Broberg looked like Bouchard was SUPPOSED to look in the finals.

I was impressed with his overall poise and game as the post season progressed
Broberg has the benefit of being fresh cause he hasn't played in weeks, while the rest of the teams had players slugging it out for 3 rounds
he'd better have some jump

Reactions: Mike C

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
This is gonna look even worse for EDM if one or both of the players evolve in to a stud.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Holloway - Lose - It’s pretty clear he’s pissed about the situation, and didn’t want to leave with how his interview went

I’ll take false statements for 100, Alex.

These contracts will be over before they impact the team.

If Holloway was disappointed he wouldn’t have signed the offer sheet. He looked fine in his interview.

The only team whom has a potential to suffer from this trade is Edmonton. Both St Louis and Pittsburgh are in a win/win scenario

Reactions: Mike C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad